Just talked to S&W warranty dept about my J-frame

This is a discussion on Just talked to S&W warranty dept about my J-frame within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Original thread detailing the issue is located here http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...y-j-frame.html The rep I spoke to stated that they replaced the frame. That strikes me as kind ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Just talked to S&W warranty dept about my J-frame

Just talked to S&W warranty dept about my J-frame

Original thread detailing the issue is located here
    I think I broke my J frame :(

The rep I spoke to stated that they replaced the frame. That strikes me as kind of odd as a piece fell out of the trigger system and the hammer was binding. Any wheel gun guys want to weigh in?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you have a new gun coming. Put it through the Rollo test and let us know how long it takes you to break the new one.
    bunker likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

S & W has just re-written their warranty. It is a limited lifetime warranty, the only limit is if you are Rollo, the warranty is void after 10 minutes.

VIP Member
    If they got it fixed right who cares what they did.
    I had a used Harley that leaked oil. Turns out the engine case was warped and needed replace. It was bad from day one. It got fixed for free by Harley but that was 3 years and 12000 miles later. Maybe your frame was out of spec from day one and for some reason got shipped out. You would like to think the inspection process would have caught it. Did the serial numbers change?
    Hope it is good now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Original thread detailing the issue is located here
    I think I broke my J frame :(

The rep I spoke to stated that they replaced the frame. That strikes me as kind of odd as a piece fell out of the trigger system and the hammer was binding. Any wheel gun guys want to weigh in?
    I doubt that Smith & Wesson would replace a frame that didn't need to be replaced. Let us know how the gun performs when you get it back.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    S & W has just re-written their warranty. It is a limited lifetime warranty, the only limit is if you are Rollo, the warranty is void after 10 minutes.
    Or if Rollo has shot it. Or touched it. Or looked at it..
    BugDude and archer51 like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    If they got it fixed right who cares what they did.
    I had a used Harley that leaked oil. Turns out the engine case was warped and needed replace. It was bad from day one. It got fixed for free by Harley but that was 3 years and 12000 miles later. Maybe your frame was out of spec from day one and for some reason got shipped out. You would like to think the inspection process would have caught it. Did the serial numbers change?
    Hope it is good now.
    Yes, serial numbers did change. My worry isn't so much the frame change. My issue is that a piece fell out trigger assembly and there was no mention of them fixing THAT part. So if they just changed out the frame then...

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Sounds like you have a new gun coming. Put it through the Rollo test and let us know how long it takes you to break the new one.
    I have considered that. Maybe "frame change" they mean whole new gun.

I'd ask them. New frame means new serial number. Much easier and less cost to just replace rather than swap out internals.

VIP Member
    I bet it is a brand new gun! I hope it was not somebody elses problem that they fixed and shipped to you. Then yours will get a quick fix onto somebody else.

The hammer pin is part of the frame, if that was broken, the easiest fix for S&W is to replace the frame. Had some clown at another forum complaining about them breaking on all his revolvers. Seems he was prying the hammer out so he could clean it.
    Last edited by 40Bob; July 24th, 2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: don't know how to spell
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

this^^^^ don't breaK the wheel gun down more than you know about it! Had a buddy who is local do something similar and he was lucky that the store he bought it from had a smith there with the knowledge on how to fix it! Best of luck to you and hope your new airweight treats you right!

I asked my local swammi about you today, Rollo. He gazed into his crystal ball, and after a few minutes, he gave me a confused look. He said, "I see an 'El See Are' in your friend's future. Have any idea what that means?"

Yes. Yes I do.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; July 24th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
    mprp likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

"My issue is that a piece fell out trigger assembly and there was no mention of them fixing THAT part. So if they just changed out the frame then... "

Smith & Wesson simplified the manner in which they install the hammer and trigger studs from the olden days. Now if one breaks it likely does mean a frame exchange. In bygone times these parts were replaceable. Rollo, it sounds like you suffered a broken trigger stud with the trigger lever subsequently becoming detached and falling out, perhaps during the disassembly. Just trying to visualize it here.

In your case, comfort may be derived from the fact that the frame is replaced. It means that parts won't be falling out.

"...some clown at another forum complaining about them breaking on all his revolvers. Seems he was prying the hammer out so he could clean it."

That'd do it, breaking studs through prying out hammers or triggers. Probably even more so with alloy-framed revolvers than steel-framed revolvers though I don't know that for certain. It's for certain that there will be no prying on steel-framed revolvers here to find out.

Nitwits at work. Nothing like 'em.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Rollo, maybe you could start a sideline business as a gun tester.

"I had a used Harley that leaked oil." - I thought that was a feature.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links