Masterpiece Arms Protector 380 reviews

This is a discussion on Masterpiece Arms Protector 380 reviews within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the years I have been EXTREMELY disappointed with .380 pocket pistols. You name the brand and I've probably owned at least one of them ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Masterpiece Arms Protector 380 reviews

Masterpiece Arms Protector 380 reviews

Over the years I have been EXTREMELY disappointed with .380 pocket pistols. You name the brand and I've probably owned at least one of them in my lifetime. I have literally sworn them off on many occasions and currently own only Glock 9mms. I've resigned myself to the G26 as the only reliable small semi auto pistol, both for me and my wife.

However, I became aware of the Masterpiece Arms .380 ACP somewhere along the way and have visited their website several times, reading the promotional material and considering one as an option for ankle carry when nothing else seems appropriate. When I search for contemporary reviews I am disappointed to learn that not much is out there that isn't about a year old ... and in the life cycle of a new firearm, things change fast and I hope that is the case with this little gun.

Does anyone own one and which one do you own? Has it proven itself to be a reliable weapon? (I'm not too concerned about accuracy or hours on the range, because that's not what this gun is designed for.) Have you dealt personally with the company in Georgia and are they responsive to any concerns you have or problems encountered? Do the guns seem to prefer any particular brand of HP self defense ammo?

Thanks for all the help you can provide.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

2. Remove Ads

i have never owned one but from the looks of them i would stick with a glock or s&w bodyguard .380

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I would not even bother looking for one of those, candidly. JMHO.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I agree I would pass on the Masterpiece. Have you looked at the Sig P238? It is a reliable, accurate and comfortable to shoot. Since I purchased the P238 HD it is my choice for carry, as I can carry it everywhere in any kind of dress. I have owned a 380 Bodyguard; poor choice, very difficult to shoot accurately and biting recoil. I still own a 380 Walther PPK/S; excellent handgun, but larger than the Sig. I have fired the 380 S&W and the Ruger 380 & 9mm; very difficult to shoot accurately and biting recoil. Sig now has a P938 in 9mm that is the same size as the P238 except a slightly longer barrel.

Iown one of the earlier models small all steel and fires everything I put in it. Only use in a wallet holster when very discreet such as the doctors office they are ported now hell of a recoil but will get the job done. Dusty on Pa. Firearms owners did a great review. About 200 rounds through mine. About the same as a seecamp because the seecamp holster from pocketholsters.com fits perfect. Will try to post pics later I have to go.

I'm just wondering, posters 2, 3, and 4, what knowledge do you have of the gun?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Administrator
    https://www.masterpiecearms.com/index2.php?cat=23

I mean WHO would want one?

Fully Made and assembled in the U.S.A.

All internal and external parts fully precision CNC machined from bar stock and heat treated.

No MIM Parts

No Castings

No Plastic

Machined Aluminum Hardcoat Anodized grips.

And a durable external finish.
    zeppelin03 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I just bought a taurus 738 tcp. Only have a 150 rounds fired and a 6 different hp brands. Not a single problem of anykind. The basic fmj ammo is magtech with hp rounds from corbon, winny, magtech, remmy, hornady and a area company. Weight is a bit more than some also at 10.2 oz. Not sure any mini can be any better . Trigger pull is a lite smooth da pull. Just look for the models ending in a C for the latest series.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbird.40 View Post
    Over the years I have been EXTREMELY disappointed with .380 pocket pistols. You name the brand and I've probably owned at least one of them in my lifetime. I have literally sworn them off on many occasions and currently own only Glock 9mms. I've resigned myself to the G26 as the only reliable small semi auto pistol, both for me and my wife.

However, I became aware of the Masterpiece Arms .380 ACP somewhere along the way and have visited their website several times, reading the promotional material and considering one as an option for ankle carry when nothing else seems appropriate. When I search for contemporary reviews I am disappointed to learn that not much is out there that isn't about a year old ... and in the life cycle of a new firearm, things change fast and I hope that is the case with this little gun.

Does anyone own one and which one do you own? Has it proven itself to be a reliable weapon? (I'm not too concerned about accuracy or hours on the range, because that's not what this gun is designed for.) Have you dealt personally with the company in Georgia and are they responsive to any concerns you have or problems encountered? Do the guns seem to prefer any particular brand of HP self defense ammo?

Thanks for all the help you can provide.
    I contacted the company directly and also their public relations firm about getting a T&E copy of their latest .380 variation Protector II with beaver tail, aluminum grips, and porting that was displayed at SHOT 2012. I received zero response to my queries. I'd be happy to do a review for my blog, but they don't seem to be interested. I agree that there isn't much info available on the new Protector II version released this year. I'm not willing to invest my own money to buy something that directly overlaps with the LWS380 I currently own, so no review even though I would love to do one on this gun.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I don't know how much help this will be because I was shooting a friends MPA .380 and don't know the exact model.

My experience (and his) was awful. I tried two different types of ammo (both FMJ) and couldn't get more than three rounds in a row to fire without a failure to eject. I shot more than 80 rounds and it happened the whole time.

My recommendation was to send it back and get it fixed and sell it. I was not impressed at all. Don't care for the blow back design either.

My wife looked at various carry guns the other night and had selected the P238. I agree with her choice.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

I don't get that. If you wanted the gun in the first place enough to buy it and you send it in to get fixed, why would you hurry and get rid of it?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by zxd9 View Post
    I don't know how much help this will be because I was shooting a friends MPA .380 and don't know the exact model.

My experience (and his) was awful. I tried two different types of ammo (both FMJ) and couldn't get more than three rounds in a row to fire without a failure to eject. I shot more than 80 rounds and it happened the whole time.

My recommendation was to send it back and get it fixed and sell it. I was not impressed at all. Don't care for the blow back design either.

My wife looked at various carry guns the other night and had selected the P238. I agree with her choice.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    If the MPA380 you were shooting was not the MPA380B-II (latest version) then you may want to try the latest model. I own the current model MPA380B-II and love it. It does not like the flat nose Winchester rounds, but shoots the round nose Magtech fmj ammo without a hitch or problem. It also shoots Gold Dots, Hornady, and Magtech Gold defense round with very high reliability. I posted a review in the defensive gun forum with pics.

I did previously own a Sig p238. I am more pleased with the new MPA380 than the p238. I find the current mpa model to be as reliable as the sig was, but in a slightly smaller, more pocket friendly size.

There were some issues with the first release of the MPA380, but my experience suggests those quirks were all worked out in the latest MPA380b-ll version. I just had it out at the range yesterday and not one ftf ftl or fte with the ammo I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I don't get that. If you wanted the gun in the first place enough to buy it and you send it in to get fixed, why would you hurry and get rid of it?
    Maybe it's a knee-jerk reaction to the terrible experience I had and just not feeling comfortable with a gun the was so unusually unreliable out of the box. Makes me wonder about the overall quality of it.

CAS I'll mention the new model to my friend and see if he can get his upgraded to that version with a parts exchange if possible under warranty.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I'm just wondering, posters 2, 3, and 4, what knowledge do you have of the gun?
    Sorry, didn't see this until today. Nothing: I just don't have any use for .380 caliber. Like I said, just my opinion.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links