22 and 25 mouse guns, where are they going?

This is a discussion on 22 and 25 mouse guns, where are they going? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently saw a clip where Taurus' USA factory was moving 22s and 25s out as fast as their machines and people could run. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 22 and 25 mouse guns, where are they going?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

I recently saw a clip where Taurus' USA factory was moving 22s and 25s out as fast as their machines and people could run. I dare say there are very few serious DCers or gangbangers who choose these calibers for their EDC. So where are these mouse guns going?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Gotta be women's pocketbooks. My daughter wants to carry but I won't be sending her out with a peashooter. Ever see a G30? OK, I'm not buying her a .45 either but there are plenty of good SD choices that will fit in a small handbag and still allow for the 10 lbs. of crap females have to carry.

P.S. Just remembered a guy I used to ride with. He carried a semi-auto at his hip, a revolver inside his vest, and one of those peashooter .22's in his boot. Not sure what good it would be after he'd already been disarmed of the other two!

I do not know about the 25 but the 22 is the best starter plinking training gun out there IMHO.
    There are more people that carry these than they say because of the stigma involed with the mouse.
    I have a 22 and a 22mag in the airlights and that is what they are. GREAT guns.
    The cost to train and plink with one of the 22 is cheap.
    I think most ever person should have one if not to carry than to practice and rodent (BIG,AND SMALL)control.
    The shot placement is key to ANY gun.

Senior Moderator
    I think that a lot of people believe that they need protection and buy a pocket pistol as a sort of talisman to ward off evil. For my parents generation it was a .38 snubnose that sat in a closet or drawer, now it is a little pocket automatic. Most will only fire one mag through the pistol and have the rest of the box of ammo to pass own to their grandchildern.

A .32ACP with a tip-up barrel like a Beretta Tomcat is a good option for someone who can't rack a slide and might be recoil sensitive.
    Foo909 and Old School like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'd say they are going into pockets and purses across the nation. Folks might start out with them, but if they get interested in guns and carrying they'll likely graduate to other calibers, and then a collection, a box of holsters, etc.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "...as their machines and people could run."

Which may say something about Taurus' reputation of late.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'll give them credit, the 25PLY and 22PLY look pretty cool. Never shot one but would like to. 22s are tons of fun to shoot without breaking the bank.

22s are great for plinking ..... but to get a semi-reliable ammo, like CCI velocitors, is $6 a box. I would go for a 25 ACP, the shell is dependable. I have a ruger 22 and am sick of jams, and a jam for a novice can be dangerous.
    Rhcmlc likes this.

ok I.m convinced the mouse guns are not the ideal carry option. I sold my .32 tomcat today and am the proud owner of a Springfield SDX .45 . Trying a sticky holster and love the gun

I don't know where they are going........ but they are not going in my pocket. 9 is the smallest I will consider for carry.
    zonker1986 likes this.

While its not an ideal carry, I think they are getting people to arm themselves, think seriously about how to defend themselves and stand up for their second amendment rights, that is a good thing.

Low recoil, low cost, concealable...

The buyers of these .22 and .25 mouseguns must be people who are recoil shy, don't want to spend much, and want to pocket or purse carry. But they feel threatened and do want to have a gun available in an emergency. Most of us who are "into" handguns are contemptuous of these mouseguns for their puny ballistics. But I have read that the number of people killed by these small caliber guns is surprisingly large. I sure wouldn't want to be shot with one, so they probably have a good deterrent effect when you are looking down the barrel of one.
    ksblazer, CLASS3NH and sensei2 like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I think pogo2's analogy is pretty much right on. With what he said I believe that most of these .22's & .25's are being sold to women. I've heard that the percentage of wemen that CC has inceased quite a bit over the last few years. So a lower recoiling caliber appeals to them.

Lot's of women that I've spoken to that aren't gun enthusiests but have fired pistols really seem to like the .22
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

looks a lot like November 2008 when anything that spit lead was being sold as fast as the dealers could get them in. Strong sales of .22's ususally means a lot of new shooters are buying guns, and almost everyone starts off with a .22 to learn the fundamentals. Unfortunately, many stop with the first gun thinking they are adequately protected, and never do any research to learn that a larger caliber weapon is preferred for self defense.

...it also helps that the little Taurus .22 are about the lowest price gun going, and in this economy, that helps a bunch.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I've got one- I love my little PT-22. Picked it up for $200 new, and have only had any problems out of it with cheap Federal ammo. Or CCI 'Mini Mags' that have spent two months in my pocket.

It was my primary for a few weeks, until I recovered enough to strap a 1911 back onto my hip. As it is now, it makes a heck of a BUG; I know a .22lr isn't ideal, or even really 'great' but it's better than nothing when you need something.

Zonker, I started with a .357 snub. It's always been my favorite 'handgun' round. But, it's role as my EDC has been usurped by my 1911. It's hard to argue with '.45'.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links