Do you modify your carry guns?

This is a discussion on Do you modify your carry guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I plug that little hole in the bottom of the grip on my Glock....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Do you modify your carry guns?

I plug that little hole in the bottom of the grip on my Glock.

2. Remove Ads

lel
    Night sights and trigger job for my M&P full size and compact. I live in state that requires 10lb. pull on pistols purchased from dealer. Trigger job brought it down to 5lbs. -- significant improvement.

100% stock except a Crimson Trace.

All my Glocks have night sights added...everything else stays stock.
    multistage likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yes, I have Red Fiber Optic Front sights on every gun I use for Carry. They all have crisp 4lb triggers, so they all feel the same at the moment of firing. I do not modify my Ranger T +P+ 9MM ammo. It is good to go right out of the box.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

VIP Member
    Depends:

LC9 stock ( I even keep the empty mag no fire saftey in)

Glocks night sights

1911s ,PPKS grips

H&Ks and S&Ws all stock

( any match guns I have get the works, triggers,polish,tuning...... but I don't carry them ever)

I have bought 4 new guns in the last 2 years, and every one of them needed trigger work. I do not know of a new factory class gun that comes out of the box with a really good trigger, and there is nothing good about a bad trigger, shooting and saftey are both about control.

Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    Do you modify your carry guns, or do you leave them 100% stock? I'd like to hear both sides of the argument.

If you prefer to leave them stock, is it for potential legal complications should you use the firearms in self-defense, or is it to ensure reliability?
    The reason I'm asking is because I notice people making references to legal problems should you actually use your modified gun in self-defense. Some advocate leaving the carry gun 100% stock, in case the prosecutor decides to push an argument like "he's bloodthirsty because he made his gun more lethal with a trigger job!" Others say if you defeat a safety feature on the gun, and some idiot borrows your gun and negligently shoots himself with it, then you might be liable. Lacking legal experience, I wonder whether anyone has given this some thought.

Finally, we all know some people whose modded guns don't work as well as they used to before the mods...

Thanks for sharing your mods. They're interesting to know, but I was more curious about the legal concerns one way or another.

i dont own a gun that i havent done a trigger job on..

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    Do you modify your carry guns, or do you leave them 100% stock? I'd like to hear both sides of the argument.

If you prefer to leave them stock, is it for potential legal complications should you use the firearms in self-defense, or is it to ensure reliability?
    .........................Yes
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    My edc is kept stock for possible legal reasons and reliability issues
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I have added CT grips to two 9mm pistols but beyond that no.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

hmmm, I don't see one person saying that they have a tactical light and only one person that has a laser... reasons? seems like the they could come in handy in the right situation

VIP Member
    I have made a minor modification to my SigP220R. I changed to Hogue rubberized grips. That was just for control. I also have a light for it but I only put it on for work. I'm not against modifying a carry gun, I just haven't done much.

I wouldn't consider adding a light a modification personally. What do others think on this?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

If it ain't broke don't fix it! The only mods I'll make to a gun I carry will be to the sights and possibly to the grips for perhaps comfort or for the addition of laser sights. As my eyes age, I'm seriously considering the addition of a Leopold "Delta Point" dot sight for a carry gun (my Glock M30). If that works very well, I might add that to other carry pieces. I took my old 1911 out of the carry rotation some years ago. Some mods I did a long time ago resulted in a much lighter trigger pull. Were I going to put that gun back into "carry mode" I'd raise the trigger pull to five pounds from where it is currently at about three and I'd tighten the over-travel stop a bit.

I have a light/laser combo fixed to my home defense gun (H&K P30 9mm) but that's not a "mod." The reason I don't use a light on my carry gun is that I always have a good flashlight on me that I more often use to help folks locate lost keys or such in dark places and if I wanted to do that and only had a light on the gun itself, well there are obvious problems there! Also and more practically, it's difficult to carry comfortably and harder still to conceal a gun with any sort of traditional attached light. I don't know enough about the CT "Light Guards" to include them here.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; July 26th, 2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: add content
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links