Do you modify your carry guns? - Page 3

Do you modify your carry guns?

This is a discussion on Do you modify your carry guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wolverine181 hmmm, I don't see one person saying that they have a tactical light and only one person that has a laser... ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Do you modify your carry guns?

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine181 View Post
    hmmm, I don't see one person saying that they have a tactical light and only one person that has a laser... reasons? seems like the they could come in handy in the right situation
    I have a laser on nearly ALL my carry guns. I am a BIG fan of the laser product. I always carry a tactical flashlight (just not one affixed to the gun itself)
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine181 View Post
    hmmm, I don't see one person saying that they have a tactical light and only one person that has a laser... reasons? seems like the they could come in handy in the right situation
    17 posts. Welcome to the forum!
    wolverine181 likes this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I have made a minor modification to my SigP220R. I changed to Hogue rubberized grips. That was just for control. I also have a light for it but I only put it on for work. I'm not against modifying a carry gun, I just haven't done much.

I wouldn't consider adding a light a modification personally. What do others think on this?
    My home defense Glock 19 has a rail light on it. I changed to TFO sights I changed, and a rubber grip sleeve (that I'm thinking of removing. They didn't make them when I bought the light or I'd have a light/laser on the rail. But when I carry it, the light isn't on it.

I agree. I don't think of the rail light as a modification.

I want the light on my home defense gun in the bed side safe because it's most likely to be used at night. I refuse to shoot at something I haven't positively identified and I don't see well at night. So I have this nice easy to operate light on the 19.

During the day and in the evening when the house lights are on, my carry gun dejure is the home defense gun unless I'm in the bedroom and can get to the G19. Frequently in the evening at home, in the summer, I put away the pocket gun and put on the 26 under an intucked shirt because it's more potent as a home defender than the pocket .380. It isn't hidden well enough to go out in public, but it's good enough for home.

My Glock 26 and 36 carry guns are box stock. I shoot them just fine as they came from the box. The triggers on all three Glocks are identical right out of the box, and for my purposes doesn't need any modification at all.

I like the stock Glock sights, plastic and all, with the white "U" and dot. My 70 year old eyes pick them up quickly. I practice with them all the time. I'm seldom out at night so night sights would be of little value on EDC guns. My P238 came with them and I left them on there. My LCP almost doesn't have sights a 70 year old can see.

Oh, I painted the front sight on the LCP in the vain hope it would make it easier to see. In practical terms, it made no difference. I point shoot it at close range for practice. I added the pinky extension to the LCP magazine and put a grip sleeve on it. The LCP trigger is horribly stock.

I don't modify triggers because:
    • My Glocks don't need it.
    • The stock Glock trigger is reliable as gravity.
    • Lighter triggers increase the probability of an unintended discharge.
    My hunting rifles, especially the varmint rifles, totally different story. None of them are stock. Not one. They've all been bedded, barrels floated. Some have been rebarreled, triggers modified or adjusted (except on the LRPV), crowns recut, and so forth.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

My S&W 442 has Wolff springs and a mild polish on the internals and a set of Pachmyer grips.

My Glock 19 has had the finger grooves and trigger guard hook ground off, added a grip plug, New York trigger spring, SiderLock, and a Clipdraw.

Nope. I like them all just how they are. I've heard a few stories regarding trigger mods coming into play in SD shootings.. rather just avoid any extra headaches in the event of one.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

There's some mumble in the thread implying that there's a trade-off between modification and reliability. Don't tell that to Bill Laughridge (Cylinder & Slide), Bill Wilson (Wilson Combat) or Dave Bowie (Bowie Tactical). They've all made a living & earned well-deserved, credible reputations by modifying handguns to be MORE reliable. So are we talking about carrying modified handguns or being our own pistol smith? I carry modified guns, but I do very little internal work myself.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Depends. Some of my carry guns are ones I've built almost from scratch, some are very lightly modifed Glocks. Any gun I carry is going to be modified only to the extent necessary to make it perform to my standards, which are rather high. That said, I won't over-lighten a trigger or remove active safety devices. I'm a lawyer, by the way, and I don't worry about such things.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    ...I'm a lawyer, by the way, and I don't worry about such things.
    THERE ya' go! I'm a old, graybeard redneck who plays poker with the Judge & the County Attorney (I think they cheat). I'm not inclined to worry about this either. I can't see a highly-qualified expert armorer ever combing through the components of my CCW after a justified shooting picking the fly scat out of the pepper. But I could get caught away from home. If that happens, I hope it's in Texas & I can retain YOU. By the way - Hook 'em Horns!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

YES

I make the trigger as clean as possible not to light 3.5 - 4.5lbs seems comfortable and it makes a big difference in my shooting............i have and xdm 40 and a ruger sr1911 and i shoot low with my xdm the trigger is like was out of the box.im by no means a great shot im average i shoot 2-3 times a month so this is not factual but it is a pattern i do see so a good trigger does make a difference.

3.5 lb. connector, XS Big Dot sights and a Vickers extended mag release for my Glock 19.
    A complete trigger job and action smoothing and a painted front sight on my Taurus 85.
    My LCP is the only stock handgun I own. (so far)
    Wolf springs and a hi-viz front sight for the GP100 (house gun). My wife has had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists. The lighter hammer spring and some judicious polishing make it possible for her to pull the trigger double-action.

I am more concerned with surviving the fight than I am in winning in a court of law.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalleye View Post
    3.5 lb. connector, XS Big Dot sights and a Vickers extended mag release for my Glock 19.
    A complete trigger job and action smoothing and a painted front sight on my Taurus 85.
    My LCP is the only stock handgun I own. (so far)
    Wolf springs and a hi-viz front sight for the GP100 (house gun). My wife has had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists. The lighter hammer spring and some judicious polishing make it possible for her to pull the trigger double-action.

I am more concerned with surviving the fight than I am in winning in a court of law.
    You have to do the first in order to do the second.

I haven't done any modification to mine. I would like to put a short trigger on my 229 but just haven't done it yet.

As far as the lawyers are concerned, my opinion is that they get paid to argue. So they can probably find something to fight about if they want to. You might find some prosecutor that is looking for headlines with stuff like.

You modified your gun?? That means you are a cold blooded killer!!
    You carry a Glock. Police officers carry Glocks...you are a wannabe cop!
    How many rounds do you carry????? Are you starting a war?
    You can't kill enough people with one gun so you carry two!!

As long as your modifications are "reasonable" I would think that your attorney would bring in an expert that would explain the reasons for your actions.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I pretty much modify everything once I get ahold of it. Nothing drastic, and most of the time done with factory parts. On my CC pistols........I usually get the night sights if they don't come with. My compact and sub-compact Glocks all get the G17 smooth face trigger installed right out of the box and a grip plug.

Other than adding night sights (if the gun didn't have them when I bought it), no.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ
    HK45c, Kimber Pro CDP II, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G19, Colt LE6920, Benelli SuperNova
    "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Yes if I feel the need. I bobbed the hammer on my J frame and removed the interal lock. I installed one of my "shims" in my PM9 as I had so many FTF, now I have none. It's staying in. I also have lasers on a couple of guns if that's a modification.

On the advice of my attorney, I do not modify my EDC guns. He felt grips and sights would not be a problem, if necessary. I practice extensively with my "J" frame 640 and a Sig Ultra 1911. Both were designed as carry weapons and I felt mods were not necessary.
    Ranger45 likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links