Do you modify your carry guns? - Page 4

Do you modify your carry guns?

This is a discussion on Do you modify your carry guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On my any of my carry guns, I'm really only interested in making modifications that improve the function of the gun. I don't see the ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Do you modify your carry guns?

On my any of my carry guns, I'm really only interested in making modifications that improve the function of the gun. I don't see the sense in making changes for the aesthetics of a carry gun, since they get uglied up in the course of being carried. Since my household is a single income situation that feeds two adults and three kids, it's difficult for me to make any purchases for firearm accessories that don't net me a really good return on the investment. It's true with guns just like it is with people, looks fade. My Glock 23C was purchased new in November of last year and already has considerable finish wear.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I made slight mods to my G23;

Trijicons
    extended mag release
    Decal Grip

I'm not touching the internals. It runs and does what its supposed to do and I'm not messing with it.

All of my guns carry or not get an internal fluff and buff + polish the feed ramp, defensive guns get night sights due to the need to aim in low light conditions.
    I would and will do what I feel is needed to make it effective and reliable beyond that any modifications are for sporting reasons and not done on my defensive weapons, but that is just me.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

I carry HK's P7. No modifications needed.
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

Sights and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    THERE ya' go! I'm a old, graybeard redneck who plays poker with the Judge & the County Attorney (I think they cheat). I'm not inclined to worry about this either. I can't see a highly-qualified expert armorer ever combing through the components of my CCW after a justified shooting picking the fly scat out of the pepper. But I could get caught away from home. If that happens, I hope it's in Texas & I can retain YOU. By the way - Hook 'em Horns!
    Ooooo, Tracker, I'm a Texas Tech grad, but not a huge football fan, so I'll forgive the "hook 'em..." Worry about it? Well, here's the deal: I said I don't worry because I can be my own expert, and none of my mods can ever be realistically considered to be ones that make me or my gun "unsafe." They are all modifications that make me better able to shoot effectively and accurately, thereby making both bystanders and me safer. No "hair trigger" or the like accusations would ever stick, given the proper admissible expert testimony. That said, I've seen more than my share of unethical prosecutors and sneaky plaintiff lawyers, and WAY more than my share of judges who have no clue about the rules of evidence, so one who carries a modded gun should be mindful that what is "right" may not be what carries the day in the courtroom. For me, I have far more concern that I be armed when I need to be, and that I am carrying a gun that optimizes my abilities to defend myself and others (to solve Problem 1), than I am about what Col. Cooper called "Problem 2," which is surviving the legal aftermath. That does not mean that we should discount the existence of Problem 2.

To explain to a jury that "I lightened my trigger" may sound unsafe. To say "I smoothed my trigger for a safer target acquisition and to avoid errant shot placement", sounds better. Any of the mods I do are to make my firearm and me safer.

I had a G27 that I put Crimson Trace, a Storm Lake barrel, and a grip plug on. Nothing else, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Ooooo, Tracker, I'm a Texas Tech grad, but not a huge football fan, so I'll forgive the "hook 'em..." Worry about it? Well, here's the deal: I said I don't worry because I can be my own expert...
    Whoops! Thanks for the forgiveness about the UT comment. And please forget me mentioning retaining your services in Texas. Anyone who'll serve as their own expert witness...
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Mess with the trigger and your asking for trouble if you ever find yourself defending your use of deadly force. Stupid move.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly3458 View Post
    Mess with the trigger and your asking for trouble if you ever find yourself defending your use of deadly force. Stupid move.
    How are you gonna' know if I've "messed with my trigger" unless I (or the gunsmith I payed) has substantially carved, welded, machined or modified it? Matching a hammer to sear under high magnification could be easily explained as wear from extensive practice or just being "lucky" from the factory. Same with polishing the contact points. Now if you tune the trigger down to Bullseye Match trigger weight (~2 lbs.?) I can't understand your position. But to leave a trigger heavy, gritty & sloppy simply because I fear I might have to USE it seems to me an unnecessary handicap. Nope, not for me. I've having it tuned.

Heyyyy, you're from Boston. Do you have a permit?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I love admiring, owning, and using factory original guns. Not keen at all in dressing up my personal guns and most custom additions to others' guns go right by me.

The only modifications I've made to any of my "usin' guns" is to remove the hideous factory rubber boot grips from a Smith & Wesson Model 642 in favor of some more traditional factory walnut J-Frame stock panels. This revolver, along with a couple more, have added Tyler T-Grips which spoil the looks in my view but are a boon to shooting. The simple removal of the T-Grip returns them to factory appearance. The original "Coltwood" grips on a more recently acquired Colt Government Model .45 were exchanged for checkered wood grips resembling factory Colt grips. The Coltwood is a bit slick and subject to breakage so something more serviceable was substituted.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Most of mine are bone stock. Only exceptions:

S&W 442:
    - Old S&W wooden grips
    - Changed Main and trigger return springs
    - Took out internal lockk flag

S&W 649:
    - Changed to old style wooden grips in Ebony (had light wooden grips)

Ruger SP101:
    - Wooden grip inserts
    - Changed main spring

The end result of these guns is still nothing fancy. Very stock looking.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I purchased with night sights so wouldnt have to modify right away and a set of combat grips on my Sig 239. All internal parts are left stock. Sig knows what they are doing.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Suggest new thread " pimp my plinker"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links