Do you modify your carry guns?

This is a discussion on Do you modify your carry guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you modify your carry guns, or do you leave them 100% stock? I'd like to hear both sides of the argument. If you prefer ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Do you modify your carry guns?

Do you modify your carry guns?

Do you modify your carry guns, or do you leave them 100% stock? I'd like to hear both sides of the argument.

If you prefer to leave them stock, is it for potential legal complications should you use the firearms in self-defense, or is it to ensure reliability?
    Armey likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I lightly modify, unless its a GI 1911 then i heavily modify for asthetics.

Glocks -Ghost 3.5 trigger kit for a cleaner trigger pull, thats it

some guns i throw different grips on for comfortablity and muzzle control

I may throw laser grips on, or night sights for better target acquisition for self defense.

my 1911's ill do everything from custom hammers, to triggers, grips, sights, safties, recoil springs, firing pins, sears, disconnectors , mainspring housings. Whatever i believe would not only make the weapon look classier, but make it function better :-) Unless its a compeition weapon, then i only do hammer trigger grips and sight, any magazine or slide catch extensions are not allowed.

I may be putting Trijicon night sights on my EDC next month but that's about it. Not the trigger that's for sure - potential legal complications.

Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    Do you modify your carry guns, or do you leave them 100% stock? I'd like to hear both sides of the argument.

If you prefer to leave them stock, is it for potential legal complications should you use the firearms in self-defense, or is it to ensure reliability?
    Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Why do you ask?
    I wondered this myself. One of two reasons. the person is interested in making their gun look better, or function better. Or we have an anti poking around for dirt. Either way......i believe its a question worth some type of answer.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    I wondered this myself. One of two reasons. the person is interested in making their gun look better, or function better. Or we have an anti poking around for dirt. Either way......i believe its a question worth some type of answer.
    I agree, so we'll wait until the OP replies and then give some specific replies.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    I agree, so we'll wait until the OP replies and then give some specific replies.
    Sounds good. I was not at all dishonest in my reply however. I like a lighter trigger pull on my glocks for accuracy. I like fancier looking parts on my 1911's :-) that about sums up if and why i modify anything.

Two extremes...

Shown below are two of my carry guns that span the range of modification - a Glock 36 that is stock, and a Colt Defender that has these modifications:

1. Aftermarket thin aluminum grip panels.
    2. Wilson drop in grip safety.
    3. Steel checkered mainspring housing
    4. Wilson magazine
    5. Dehorned slide
    6. McCormick trigger

If I think I can make a gun function better or look better, I'm not afraid to modify it. I think the legal issue is an old wives' tale.

JerryMac and DPro.40 like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

All I did / do is add night sights and a NY 8# trigger to my Glock.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    I'll change grips, and sights on a gun, as to the trigger group, I leave it stock.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I modify the way that i carry guns constantly. And once i get that whole zen thing down i may even try to levitate them :-p

Absolutely.....most of my carry guns have CT grips, night sights, and all have trigger improvements of some type! Being in the Hunting Business for over 25 years, I've seen too many bad shots during excited or extreme conditions due to bad triggers. To me, the trigger is EVERYTHING!! A good trigger pull eliminates a great deal of human error in both rifles and pistols. I just put Apex triggers in both my M&Ps(9 Pro & 9c) and can't even begin to tell you how much easier they are to shoot well...! My 1911s have all been gone thru by gunsmiths with the triggers and actions tuned up and I have replaced various parts for both better function and cosmetic appeal. The same has been done to my Sigs. Like I said, being in the Hunting Business, guns are the tools used and I want them functioning as well as possible and this carries over into my pistols......sure doesn't hurt for them to look good, as well.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

On my carry guns, the only real modifications have been reliability enhancements to the trigger and internals (aka "reliability job"). Beyond that, it's only changes in sights, grip texture, finger extension on the magazines. Everything else is left stock.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I modify my Porsche so it will perform better. I modify my Toyota pickup so it will perform better. I once even modified a girlfriend...but that's another story. The point is, I have no problem spending the money to get performance that the factory price-point couldn't provide, I feel the same way about my EDC.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

GH
    100% stock. I might do a trigger job on my Sigma but I've gotten used to the heavy trigger pull & kind of like it.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links