Ruger Lc9 or Cz 82 for carry

This is a discussion on Ruger Lc9 or Cz 82 for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm on a budget guys between 200-300$. Currently carrying a Jimenez ja 380 please help! lol...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruger Lc9 or Cz 82 for carry

Ruger Lc9 or Cz 82 for carry

I'm on a budget guys between 200-300$. Currently carrying a Jimenez ja 380 please help! lol

2. Remove Ads

I have both and carry the LC9 every day. The CZ82 wins for capacity, accuracy and fun-factor but the LC9 is lighter and smaller and much easier to conceal.

The key word being "carry", I recommend the LC9. It is very easy to conceal, points naturally for quick point shooting, and with practice can shoot out the bullseye.

My LC9 is a little tackdriver
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I have a CZ82 that I carry occasionally. I also had, a LC9. Personally I hated the trigger on the LC9. That being said, The LC9 is lighter, thinner and fires a more powerful round. The CZ82 is robust, will take almost any abuse you deal it and keep right on working, and has a higher capacity. Good defensive rounds are available for it, jut not as plentiful as for the 9mm. Either will work well for you, just depends on your criteria.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I had an LC 9 don't like the way it fit my hand. That said I have a couple of the CZ82's they never failed and just fit my hand a lot better, plus they are tack drivers.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Can't speak for the Cz82, but I do know the LC9 is a decent choice, it's around ~350+fees new the last I checked, and I know Ruger has very good customer service. Sometimes it pays to spend a little more and get something that will last a lifetime (not saying the Cz82 won't, I just know nothing about it)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Between the two, CZ 82 hands down.

Personally, I'd pony up an extra Andrew Jackson and get a Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro for $329. For the amount and quality of gun you get, you might as well be robbing the place.

If not, the CZ 82 is a fine choice. I just prefer 9mm to 9x18.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I would choose the LC9. Lighter and slimmer

You need to handle these guns in person.

The LC9 is the smallest & lightest of the three. It's not a great gun, though. The trigger is really long, and the grip just doesn't fit the hands of some people. I'd recommend the Galloway Precision trigger upgrade at least. Consider also some of the other upgrades. Consider the Pachmayr grip. I personally am waiting for the S&W M&P Shield, the Sig P938, etc. to become more available. But they are out of your price range.

The CZ 82 is a proven design. It's also quite heavy, and relatively big for a 9x18. The construction is really sturdy, but not as fine as CZ 75. The copy I handled had a relatively heavy trigger. I feel like if I'm going to carry something this big and heavy, I'd rather carry a 1911 or a compact CZ 75.

The Bersa is also on the heavy side, since it's all metal. I am not a fan of the DA/SA thing, though the SA is quite sweet. It's also quite wide.

Both the Bersa and the CZ will be harder to conceal than the LC9.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Caliber wise, advantage LC9. Size and weight, LC9. All others (capacity, trigger, action choices, etdc.) CZ-82.

I've never handled or fired a LC9, but my 82 has the best trigger of all my guns, is reliable beyond description, recoil is minimal, and with 13 rds can put out enough firepower to get the butt out of a jam. Ideal CC? No, but it's definitely not a no-no. Low end of cartridge power; high end of firearm performance.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you are looking at an LC9 I would look at the Kel Tec PF9. I pocket carry one every day. It has been a good gun and it is definitely in your price range. And it is an American made gun.

what is a CZ 82? i know of the cz 83 in .380 cal.

For carry go for the LC9.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have the LC9 so I can speak for it. It is extremely easy to conceal and is reliable. 7+1 capacity along with manual safety and disconnect safety makes it a good choice for me having children in my house. It fits well in a normal size hand and is very manageable on recoil. I put a Hogue rubber grip on mine and it fits great.

My only complaint is the trigger. I had owned and shot a DAO .380 before I bought the LC9 so I wasn't surprised at the trigger pull but I find myself not carrying it for that exact reason.

I ended up buying a Ruger SR9c at the same time as the LC9 simply because I wanted both and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to carry the larger of the two. Turns out the SR9c is fairly easy to conceal with more rounds.

Overall I'd give the LC9 a 9 out of 10. I'm seriously considering trading mine off just because I don't care for the trigger. So if anyone is in or near South Mississippi and has a Ruger P95 for trade feel free to contact me.

I have both.

CZ - Reliable, accurate, great capacity, good defensive rounds, double or single action. customizable with after market parts and finish choices.

Heavier than the LC9 wider than the LC9 more capacity and more shootable in IMHO.

Ruger, thin, light, 9mm Luger slightly more powerful than the Mak. Lower capacity, ammo more available wider choice, long double action style trigger. Rather new compared to the CZ Mak that is proven in real world situations all over the world and it has great history with police and military agencies world wide.

I thin it depends on how tolerant you are to carrying that CZ if you are larger guy and will carry in quality IWB holster the Mak wins in my mind and like I said I have both and have many hundreds of rounds through both. I have carried both no problem with either. My wife is small she much prefers the LC9 because of her build and ease of carry.

So I see it as choice of carrying and your personal preference for carry. I will say either are so far above what you are carrying now you will upgrade greatly with either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links