S&W Model 13-4 my new carry piece

This is a discussion on S&W Model 13-4 my new carry piece within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a never fired mint condition 3" model 13-4 and it came into my FFL and I picked it up yesterday. I have purchased ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: S&W Model 13-4 my new carry piece

S&W Model 13-4 my new carry piece

I purchased a never fired mint condition 3" model 13-4 and it came into my FFL and I picked it up yesterday. I have purchased several nice S&W revolvers and quickly sold them because they were "too nice to carry". When this opportunity came up I jumped and decided this would be my carry piece. When the gun came it its obvious its never been fired and rarely had the cylinder been cycled. I was tempted to quickly relist it for sale and make a fair profit. I knew the best thing for me to do was to quickly shoot it. I tried to view it as liberating it rather than violating it. I quickly went to the range with the only ammo I had available which was a box of wwb 130 gr fmj. at 7-10 yards all rounds printed a few inches low. I had two cylinders of 158 LSWCHP and it put them dead aim. I know this gun is the one. I knew the first time I pulled the trigger I had devalued it but I also realized it was worth it. I also have a 4" model 13-1 which shoots the same but the inch of barrel makes more of a difference in carry than I thought.
    Ok my questions are about what year was this gun made s/n BKP9202 and if I am going to carry a beautiful blued K frame in South Ga heat and humidity what do I do to protect the finish? I didnt know if I should apply a few good coats of a car wax or if I should just wipe down with Rem oil a few times a week.

2. Remove Ads

Show us pictures or it never happened.
    phreddy, shooterX and BigJon10125 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Dont worry pics to come later today.

GREAT revolver! I keep a S&W M12 snubbie in my EDC rotation. To address your question, there's very little you can do in deep South humidity to keep a shiny, blued handgun absolutely pristine. While it IS a work of art, once it goes & stays in your holster it becomes a tool. Treat it like one. Carry it 'till the finish shows enough wear to then have it refinished in a more durable, perhaps less beautiful, modern finish (Ceracoat, Duracoat, Hard Chrome) and then CARRY IT SOME MORE!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

No doubt I look forward to the day it displays carry wear. I pretty much just want to prevent it from getting speckled.

if I am going to carry a beautiful blued K frame in South Ga heat and humidity what do I do to protect the finish? I didnt know if I should apply a few good coats of a car wax or if I should just wipe down with Rem oil a few times a week.
    I have some experience with guns in that Georgia humidity and heat. Regular maintenance to include a frequent wipe down and thin coat of oil are what's needed.
    To keep that fine old Model 13 looking its best though the dry Colorado climate this year would be ideal. Why not allow me to hold her for you till Georgia cools down?

You've picked a fine revolver. I'll be watching for the pics.

Comments

Regarding your serial number question - you asked about the number BKP9202. I looked in my S&W reference book and can't find the BKP prefix listed, although I do find BKN (1991), BKZ (1992) and BPK (1993). Is it possible that you mis-typed the letter prefix of the serial number? S&W didn't use all possible 3 letter prefixes, and skipped quite a few of them.

I'm surprised when you said that you could buy this gun, pay for shipping and FFL fees, and still sell it quickly for much of a profit. Either you got a very good price for it when you bought it, or these guns sell for a premium in your area.

As for rust protection, I think that both car wax and light oil will help. Maybe you should do both - wax first and regular light oil on top of that. Remember to coat the steel under the grip panels as well.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Why not allow me to hold her for you till Georgia cools down?

You've picked a fine revolver. I'll be watching for the pics.
    I appreciate the gracious offer.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Regarding your serial number question - you asked about the number BKP9202. I looked in my S&W reference book and can't find the BKP prefix listed, although I do find BKN (1991), BKZ (1992) and BPK (1993). Is it possible that you mis-typed the letter prefix of the serial number? S&W didn't use all possible 3 letter prefixes, and skipped quite a few of them.

I'm surprised when you said that you could buy this gun, pay for shipping and FFL fees, and still sell it quickly for much of a profit. Either you got a very good price for it when you bought it, or these guns sell for a premium in your area.

As for rust protection, I think that both car wax and light oil will help. Maybe you should do both - wax first and regular light oil on top of that. Remember to coat the steel under the grip panels as well.
    I double checked and its definitely a BKP maybe its a mis stamp Im not sure. I put a few coats of carnuba wax on it last night.I plan to put on a light coat of oil today.

I did get a pretty good deal. :)

The M13 with a three-inch heavy barrel was the standard issue sidearm of the FBI for many years... it's a classic! These were once fairly easy to find, but these days the 3-incher is pretty scarce, and it's on my wish list. Looking forward to pictures!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    Nice sounding pistol, and a great carry gun
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Three inch revolvers just have a certain, tough to describe magic over pure snubbies. IMHO, the upside of shooting better far outweighs any carry liability of a little longer barrel. Nice pick!
    wmhawth and bmcgilvray like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

One can get a full stroke on the ejector rod with the 3-inch.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Now that is a nice looking pistol!!!
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links