LCR 38 Spcl or Kahr CM9 for carry?

This is a discussion on LCR 38 Spcl or Kahr CM9 for carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wanting to get another carry firearm and am considering a choice between the LCR in .38 Spcl or the Kahr CM9. I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: LCR 38 Spcl or Kahr CM9 for carry?

LCR 38 Spcl or Kahr CM9 for carry?

I am wanting to get another carry firearm and am considering a choice between the LCR in .38 Spcl or the Kahr CM9.

I am particularly drawn to the size of the CM9; slightly larger than a LCP/P3AT in a 9mm. I understand about the break-in period of at least 200 rounds etc... and the possibility that even after the 200 +/- rounds the CM9 might be problematic. However, I have resigned myself to expect some sort of "problem" with the CM9, and, if there is none, I'll be that much happier. On the other hand, if my CM9 is problematic, my predetermined patience will probably fly out the window, especially if I have to send the CM9 back to Kahr more than once, which will be expensive. Also, their warranty apparently is for a limited time of 5 yrs, as I understand.

The LCR, unless there would be something out of the ordinary (highly unlikely), would be go to go "right out of the box". I would prefer not to have to deal with any problems of breaking-in a firearm, aside from the usual 200 - 500 round run through to establish its reliability. The LCR is somewhat larger than the CM9, its only drawback IMO. However, we all know the reliability, etc... of a revolver. Additionally, the trigger on the LCR is "sweet", one of its best attributes.

I'm not concerned about caliber differences here. I would use .38 Spcl 158gr Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Point +P in the LCR and either 124 gr Gold Dots, Federal HST's or 115 gr DPX (or Barnes bullet equivalent) in the CM9, whichever proved better for it.

I would like your opinions, especially those of you who have or have had either or both.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

2. Remove Ads

before i bought my lcr,i also looked at the cm9,lc9 and a few other pocket 9mm's..i decided on the lcr mostly because of the weight differance and reliability factor..the lcr only weighs 13.50 ozs,making it a great choice for front pocket carry..highly recommend
    JerryMac likes this.

I'm interested to know as to why you think the LCR would be "Go to right out of the box"?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

My cm9 was flawless right out of the box.... after my 3 or 4th trip to the range I broke it down and saw that the nut came off the end of the recoil spring... it still fired fine at the range and Jay at kahr sent me a replacement asap! It did so well it make me miss my pm9 so I sold the cm9 and got a pm9 with night sights. I have a feeling if you join kahrtalk and follow the proper preperation thread on there your kahr will be a dream to shoot and carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I'm interested to know as to why you think the LCR would be "Go to right out of the box"?
    What I mean by this is that barring any unusual problem with the LCR, the revolver should function properly without having to make any adjustments, repairs, etc... I would then only have to run 200-500 rounds through it to confirm its reliability.

oh btw if they pistol isn't right kahr will pick up the tab on shipping and have it picked up at your place and sent back to your place if you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle00 View Post
    What I mean by this is that barring any unusual problem with the LCR, the revolver should function properly without having to make any adjustments, repairs, etc... I would then only have to run 200-500 rounds through it to confirm its reliability.
    Do you think that because it's a revolver? If that is the case, I point you to
    I think I broke my J frame :(
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Do you think that because it's a revolver? If that is the case, I point you to
    I think I broke my J frame :(
    Thanks for the link Rollo! Actually, I did "take for granted" that, the LCR being a revolver, wouldn't have any problems. Thanks again for the "heads-up", I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle00 View Post
    Thanks for the link Rollo! Actually, I did "take for granted" that, the LCR being a revolver, wouldn't have any problems. Thanks again for the "heads-up", I appreciate it.
    Please keep in mind, I'm not in any way bad mouthing the LCR. I think it's a great gun and there may be a .357 version in my future. Just saying that anything that you plan to carry to potentially defend your life or the lives of your loved ones should be THOROUGHLY tested before carried.

Be safe and good luck with whatever you choose!

Edit - I dry fired my S&W 637 that failed a TON. Probably at least 1000-1500 strokes (with snap caps). I would suggest you do the same if you go with a wheel gun. It appears to be a good way to stress test the internals of a revolver.
    Dandyone likes this.

I have a CM9 and the pistol has been flawless for me in over 600 rounds. I haven't a single negative thing to say about it. It hides exceptionally well, is surprising light in recoil, and has fed, fired, and ejected everything. I also have a S&W 642 and would consider the CM9 easier to conceal because of it being flatter. The 7-round mags would do well at the range or as a spare.

Based on my personal experience, I no longer trust any 9mm pistol smaller than a Glock 26. Get the LCR and spare yourself the drama. If you want really small and flat, get a LCP and load it with flat nose FMJ.

Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

small 9mm auto will and can have problems, just about any time during their life, no matter the name brand. now when it comes to wheel guns they are less to have problems. some will tell you that they never had any problems, but i know better. had a pm9, not a bad gun, but it was a problem child. got several j-frames and they never given me any problems.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have transitioned into carry an LCR and I'm not looking back. It is easy to pocket carry, is accurate, has a great trigger and is reliable to date.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

My wife carries an LCR in her purse for a BUG to her EDC Sig P238... I carry a 642 as my BUG.. I also EDC a Sig P238 or XDm 3.8-9mm or Glock 19... When I have no other choice but to pocket carry.. To me the Snub Revolver is the perfect choice... But it depends on what you wear. Just my .02 but you wont regret the LCR.

no LCR, but i do have a CM-9 and a S&W 642. i prefer the semi-auto mostly because i can shoot it so much better than the revolver. both guns have been 100% reliable. i have a slight preference for 9mm over 38SPL as a caliber, and the CM holds two more rounds loaded in my pocket, but the overwhelming reason i choose the CM is how much more accurate i am with it than i am with the Smith. i'm keeping the 642 and i have no hesitation carrying it (it was my pocket carry gun for years before the current crop of pocket nines were developed).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links