22 pocket pistol?

This is a discussion on 22 pocket pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so i am gonna buy a 22 for plinking. want a small one. thinking a taurus pt22. don't want to break the bank. thoughts? couldn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 22 pocket pistol?

22 pocket pistol?

so i am gonna buy a 22 for plinking. want a small one. thinking a taurus pt22. don't want to break the bank. thoughts? couldn't find any other small ones in the 200-300$ range.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

2. Remove Ads

I've heard good things about the polymer frame version of the Taurus.

Have you considered the NAA .22 revolvers? Also, I think Beretta makes a pocket .22 or .25? I have had several Taurus's and eventually gave up on them.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

I have a Beretta neos that fits the bill quite well... accurate and dependable, and i added a cheap red dot for $25. I had a Taurus model 94 revolver in 22lr, but was a piece of junk.... cylinder kept binding up. Charter arms make a 22lr revolver that i have had my eye on.... cannot beat the price of 22lr ammo. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I've got a PT-22, and I love it. Just don't expect it to function properly on cheap Federal bulk ammo. CCI Mini-Mags work GREAT though.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I have a bunch of small 22lrs. But those arent as fun for plinking. Look for a Walther P22 220 - 300$. They are pretty small but more fun to plink with than a Beretta/ Taurus tip up barrel. The NAA are nicely made but really slow to reload and yours hands get real dirty quickly from the cylinder gap.

i use remington 36 gr jhp. for 22. 15$ for 550 at fleet farm. i am about set on this gun, i do not like revolvers. is the slide actually stainless of the poly model? that's the one i am liking.

yea so i ordered it off cheaper than dirt. 215$ with shipping. range report to follow.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    uploadfromtaptalk1343403637319.jpg

North American Arms .22 mag or .22 long rifle comes with both cylinders

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I have a Walther P22 just for plinking and a NAA pug for deep conceal. Like them both. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343406320.052180.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tricolordad likes this.

Howdy!

I have a NAA Plug 22 mag. and a NAA Black Widow 22 LR/MAG both I have change grips to folding grips and never with out one or both in my pocket. Both are fun guns to shoot. NAA is also coming out with a Sidewinder which has a open swingout cylinders which will make it easier to reload.

"Happy Trails"
    chiefneon

My Father and Son both purchased a Phoenix HP22a for $139.00. Great little shooters. Life time warranty and good customer service. Be sure to check one out before you make a purchase. Personally I have a NAA .22lr planned for a 2013 purchase and already have a Ruger SR22PB for plinking and a Marlin Model 60 riffle. .22lr's is a great shell for low budget fun. Let us know what you end up with.

yea i took the plunge. i really like the poly frame and stainless slide, and it is almost identical in size to kel tecs p3at which i wanted, however that is too much handgun for my son (12) to learn on hence the 22. i have a marlin 795 as well, so now we will be well equipped for hours of cheap range fun.

on the gun itself, i wanted a pocket pistol because i don't have a bug. while 22 is not a sufficient caliber to stop a real threat, it is still better than nothing until i can buy a proper one.

so it says it should be in by next thursday, unfortunately for me i get delayed everytime i buy a gun so it could be up to 2 weeks before i get to shoot it.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    late
    Last edited by AKsrule; July 27th, 2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: late....
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

The PT22/25 series is actually not a bad Taurus product. We had one as a rental when ai worked at a range and it worked fine. There are 2 things to be aware of. First, you need to remember that malfunction clearance is different than other semi-autos due to the lack of an extractor. If you "tap-rack" like you're used to with other guns it just makes things worse. Also, don't settle on a load until you get the gun and try several brands and types of ammo. I've seen guns that keyholed ammo that it didn't like, but shoot other loads of the same weight fine. Also try different speeds. I have a tip up Beretta that feeds and shoots the Remington SWC style hyper velocity round (Viper? Yellow Jacket? something like that) and it looks like it should work better than harsh language.

Another warning about Taurus guns, that doesn't apply to yours, is to avoid the "pearl" grips at all costs. They crack around the grip screw holes. Taurus will replace them with wood or plastic under warranty, but you have to send in the cracked ones first and that takes time for shipping.

There are some Taurus products that I am not a fan of. Working at a range gave me a lot of experience with long term durability of some brands and products. The PT22/25 series are pretty good value for the money.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links