I wish they made a legal "lupara"

This is a discussion on I wish they made a legal "lupara" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always wanted a lupara, and I've been thinking about a certain setup they could totally make. It would be 11 inches, double barrel 410/45lc ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By KSP
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret

Thread: I wish they made a legal "lupara"

I wish they made a legal "lupara"

I've always wanted a lupara, and I've been thinking about a certain setup they could totally make. It would be 11 inches, double barrel 410/45lc with minimal rifling (to be legal). It would have a nice wood stock that would extend up until the muzzle. It would have either dual external hammers or the internal hammers like a stoeger coach gun. It would have to have some sort of safety mechanisms that would allow you to keep it loaded (be that some transfer bar and/or manual safety). And it would be awesome.

I know that cobray makes some kind of double barrel 410 shotty, but I want a well made "lupara" that is well crafted and engineered. I know that this is a limited market, and I'm NOT arguing that it is the best tool for the job, but I really want one. And I think there would be a few markets for one. It would appeal the defensive carry member who loves the idea of owning a lupara. It would appeal as a secondary kind of gun you could leave in a truck or someplace in the house for quick access. It would be very intimidating. It would also appeal to a newbie to the gun world who would like a home defense weapon and likes the simplicity, size, and the cool factor.

For practicality, of course you could just get a judge (or remington/mossberg or anything else). But I don't particularly want a judge. And as far as ballistics are concerned, a 3 inch shell with five 000 buck coming from a 10+ inch barrel would be effective at self defense distances. While it wouldn't eviscerate or obliterate like a 12 gauge, I would bet that it would reliably neutralize the threat.

I'm sure taurus or mossberg could whip one of these out in a heartbeat. Oh well...

Here's a picture i found of a real lupara
    Lupara.jpg
    Cleandean likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Interesting idea
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I would guarantee it would be a bugger to shoot. My 18 1/4" Double Barrel Double Hammer Rossi Coach Gun kicks like a mule when both barrels are touched off with even just light dove loads when not shouldered, since it doesn't have a lot of weight to dampen the recoil. With 3" magnums it is darned near a finger breaker held at waist level.. Not as much fun as it might sound.

That said...it still totally rocks ;)

Look up the John Wayne movie El Dorado with James Caan. James Caan's character could not shoot a pistol with a darn, so John Wayne found him a double barrel sawed off to pistol length that he wore in a pistol holster. It looked a lot like your Lupara. They treated the recoil very realistically and it is genuinely fun just to see him light it up on screen
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

JD
    Administrator
    10" BBL, .410....

How about one of these?

Comanche Firearms :: Eagle Imports

Personally, I'll pass.

My Great Uncle had a C&R 12 GA. I loved to look at it as a kid. He collected some nice guns, a small but impressive collection. Think this:

LUPARA.jpg

Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    My Great Uncle had a C&R 12 GA. I loved to look at it as a kid. He collected some nice guns, a small but impressive collection. Think this:

LUPARA.jpg

Beautiful double, bet it is a real handful when fired.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I would feel so Mad if I had one.
    images.jpeg

So why exactly is it illegal?

Links