Hold onto your hats because here it comes....I don't like the Shield.

This is a discussion on Hold onto your hats because here it comes....I don't like the Shield. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There, I said it. And I mean it. I do not like the M&P Shield. Maybe I'm the only one, maybe not. I've held several ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Hold onto your hats because here it comes....I don't like the Shield.

There, I said it. And I mean it. I do not like the M&P Shield. Maybe I'm the only one, maybe not.

I've held several of them. Have yet to fire one but I can tell you this, shooting it isn't going to make me like it. What I completely hate about it is, the point where the trigger guard meets the front strap of the grip. To me, it's terrible. It feels horrible. My middle finger hurts just holding the gun. I can only imagine how much it would hurt to fire it.

Interestingly, I do not have the same problem when holding or shooting an M&P9c (or full size M&P). The double stack feels great in my hand. No rub of the middle finger. No pinch. Just feels great.

I have the CW9 for single stack slim carry. I think my next purchase will be an M&P9c. My LGS has one for $440. Not real sure if that is a good price yet or not. I have not done much research into the pricing of them. But I'll know by Monday.

Thoughts? Am I alone in my dislike for the way the Shield feels in my hand?
    Ram Rod, gdm320, jwhite75 and 1 others like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I've got the M&P9c and love the weapon, real smooth and fun to shoot

I dont like it either. It just doesnt feel right, and shooting it is nothing fancy (although i've only shot one mag through one). I'm sticking with my Kahr's for CC.
    Tangle and TN_Mike like this.

The same way you feel you may be alone in not liking the Shield, I feel that I may be alone in not understanding what the buzz is about the Shield that causes people to become so polarized about it. Although I have one and I love it, I don't understand why on some occasions people target the Shield specifically as the single stack small 9mm handgun to either say, "OMG BEST THING EVAR" or "It's just meh, what's the big deal?"

The thread title could have said, "Hold onto your hats...I don't like the LC9. or the Kahr PM/CM9" and I would still be like wait, what's the big deal?

But more on point, I agree with you that the 9c feels great in the hand. I can't say I know what you're talking about with the Shield, mine gives me no pinch but that may be an issue of different hand sizes. Whatever the case is, find something you like and run with it !
    TN_Mike and IAm_Not_Lost like this.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I own both the 9c and the Shield. Never really paid much attention to how your middle finger feels under the trigger guard on the pistols until the OP started this thread. Never had the pain/irritation you describe. So I have been fiddling with both and paying more attention to how they feel. They feel similar (probably why I never really paid any attention) but if one feels better than the other I would have to say the Shield feels better, at least to me anyway. If you don't like the Shield, you may not like the 9c either. You could always sand the bottom of the trigger guard down to your liking. I know Hickok45 has done that to one or a couple of his Glocks before if you have ever seen any of his videos. I love my M&Ps just the way they are though.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    There, I said it. And I mean it. I do not like the M&P Shield. Maybe I'm the only one, maybe not.

I've held several of them. Have yet to fire one but I can tell you this, shooting it isn't going to make me like it. What I completely hate about it is, the point where the trigger guard meets the front strap of the grip. To me, it's terrible. It feels horrible. My middle finger hurts just holding the gun. I can only imagine how much it would hurt to fire it.

Interestingly, I do not have the same problem when holding or shooting an M&P9c (or full size M&P). The double stack feels great in my hand. No rub of the middle finger. No pinch. Just feels great.

I have the CW9 for single stack slim carry. I think my next purchase will be an M&P9c. My LGS has one for $440. Not real sure if that is a good price yet or not. I have not done much research into the pricing of them. But I'll know by Monday.

Thoughts? Am I alone in my dislike for the way the Shield feels in my hand?
    Hey, Mike, no, your not alone! I don't like the way the Shield feels in your hand either! Only kidding! Only buy what you like.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Didn't feel right to me at first either, but for some reason when I took the extended magazine out and put in the flush fitting one it made all the difference in the world.

I admit, the hype has me curious and I want to try one. But I just dont like the M&P trigger and how its two articulating peices (for lack of a better description)
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

VIP Member
    I don't know if I'd like a Shield or not. Believe me I've looked, and I can't find a Shield to hold, much less buy.

I happened to be in a LGS recently and they had XDs; for me it felt good in my hand, a relatively thin, small .45 I bought it, shot it yesterday for the first time, and like it just fine. Had they been available I may have bought a Shield, but S&W production and distribution didn't work out for me. Oh well.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

What is it that makes a gun so highly anticipated? I am sure name brand and looks, maybe some proffesional reviews. But if somethi g was debuted at SHOT Show for instance. You can look and ooh and ahh all you want but what does it matter until you can shoot it?

For movies and music, I understand anticipation because you hear sample tracks or a single or see a preview or prequil. But why all the hype over a gun when brand is pretty much all there is to go by? What if you freaked out over finding a Sheild and it turned out to be Hi-Point quality? Just saying.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Distinguished Member
    I've said on a few posts that I'm not crazy about how the Shield sets in my hand. Just so so. But it transforms to a great gun when I shoot it. I'm not crazy about the feel and definitely not about the trigger and yet I love shooting it. The 40 is a great shooter with very nice grouping. So far, very dependable too. But the platform is intended to meet some specific goals. It conceals well, shoots well, carries well. It's not intended as a Sunday plinker but it happens that it does that well too. Is it worth all the buzz? Well it ain't the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.

S&W has been pretty stupid in their absolute failure to meet the demand. For those that want one and can't find one, it's human nature to move on with a sour grapes attitude. Many won't change their thinking. So when the supply, or lack of supply, is finally met it may be too late. Well, another case study for future graduate students.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    Haven't had the opportunity to even hold one, as quick as the stores in the area get them, they are gone. Still want to hold one, and then decided if it something I might want.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I don't like it but for different reasons. Not even taking the safety into account (which I disklike very much) I also feel like it's just an awkward gun. Same weight as a G26 but less rounds. Longer grip than a G26 but less rounds. .18 inches thinner than a G26 but the longer grip makes it more difficult to conceal than a G26 for the majority of people. If I want a auto smaller than a normal sub compact then I am going to go with a CM9 because the grip is smaller and it's lighter and people generally say "I want a smaller gun because I want something lighter/more comfortable and easier to conceal". If I want a auto larger than a subcompact I'm going to go with something like a G19 because when people want a bigger gun it's generally because they want something more comfortable to shoot or higher capacity. I don't see any reason to get the worst of both worlds, and to me that's what the shield is.
    Ram Rod, TN_Mike, Tangle and 1 others like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Well, I've owned pretty much everything at 1 point or another... And, I REALLy like the Shield.

Now, I've never liked M&Ps, because of the factory trigger. But, The Shield has a different trigger. And honestly - if I had just held it, I may not have liked it either. But, I rented it... After renting the Kahr P9 and shooting the PM9 I already had - the Shield shot like a dream. Less recoil than both of those guns. THAT's what got me hooked. Better trigger, very accurate, and low recoil. I had to get one, and tracked one down 2 days later.

Ended up spending almost 2.5 months looking for another (which I finally got). Try shooting the gun before making up your mind. Now, after shooting it, I really like the size and shape of the gun.

I like the gun much more than the PM9 I had (sold it the same week I got the first Shield). And, I personally find it recoil less than the slightly larger double stack sub compact 9mms.

pattywak likes this.

you would not be gaining anything buying the Shield since you already own the Kahr cw9,both are the exact same size and you don't have to worry about flicking a thumb safety on/off on the cw9..if you end up buying the M&P9c,that would be a much better combination to have..good luck
    TN_Mike likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links