Why Single Actions? - Page 2

Why Single Actions?

This is a discussion on Why Single Actions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JD I dunno, but I sure do want one of these in .45LC/.45ACP One may be far down on my list but ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Why Single Actions?

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I dunno, but I sure do want one of these in .45LC/.45ACP

One may be far down on my list but sooner or later I see me owning one in .44 magnum. A buddy of mine had one [ in .44 mag.] when I lived in Tucson. It was just a
    cool bad a$$ revolver.

Well I think the SAA army is the prettiest revolver every made, but I have something else for SD.....but that's just MO
    marcclarke likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

When I first started out with handguns, I did a lot of handgun hunting and Ruger single actions quickly became my favorites. I've owned 9, still have 5 and will be hanging on to them. Probably the "Roy, Gene, & Hoppy" influence is part of it too for those old enough to know what I mean?
    and they jest so purty!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I like to play cowboy
    do you wear chaps?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    do you wear chaps?
    Only for my wife
    DefConGun and thephanatik like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Only for my wife
    haha glad you know what I was talking about

VIP Member
    I started out in handguns with a Ruger Blackhawk in 357, since then I have acquired others chambered in 45LC, 44Mag, 30Carbine, along with a 22 Bearcat and a Single Six and a Ruger Old Army cap and ball all but one are the old three screw models. At the range I will load them with six shots but if I am carrying them then it is only five rounds with the hammer down on an empty chamber.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I dunno, but I sure do want one of these in .45LC/.45ACP

You'd like it, with the .45ACP cylinder in place, you can use your 1911 magazines as speed loaders.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Pretty much been covered:
    I am not sure firing this 45 long any other way would work out very well .
    45ACP4ever likes this.

VIP Member
    When I have an SA in my hand, it just feels right. There is just something there, a connection to the past, heritage, and a feel that is rarely found in a modern gun design.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The most accurate handgun "I" ever shot was a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag. Nothing I've ever shot since shot as tight. Not much in the way of a SD firearm, but dang handy when hunting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I also had a .41 magnum Ruger. It was way more accurate than I was.

To me handgun is a SA western style revolver. It's the history of the gun, and my history growing up in the 40's and 50's. I'm now looking at a Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .357. I drool when I look at it. I just love the older weapons. The feel and the ease of aiming is perfect for me.

Because they are cool, and I need something to dry fire with while I watch old Westerns on TV.
    BritishAgent likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I carry this one when I'm deer hunting. I also have my rifle, but one of these years a deer will show up close enough to put it down with this BlackHawk .45. It shoots a 255g LSWC @ 1,100 fps. Go right thorugh a deer .... end to end. The whole trigger mechanism has been polished, forcing cone reamed, cylinder throat reamed to .4515, Wolf trigger return spring, grips replaced by a slightly fuller set of custom grips.

I really like this revolver. It has a lot of "thump" and it's really fun to shoot.

Fitch
    OD*, gasmitty and rdpG19 like this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray;2333909[B
    ]Modern Single Action revolvers put effective hunting calibers into affordable packages for enthusiasts. [/B] It's easier to build a rugged single action revolver for straight-walled revolver rounds than it is to build a similarly chambered double-action and the single action may be sold at lower cost.

Colt Single Action Army clones put period imitations into affordable packages for western enthusiasts. They offer the flavor of the Colt original without the prohibitive cost of acquiring one.

Perhaps the single action revolver makes one feel "needed" as it requires more operator manipulation to use. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    And to add what bmcgilvray said, the SA is less complex in it's built, so less to break. They are considered much more durable.

But the greatest advantage is their natural pointing qualities.

They do require more work to use in this capacity, but it pays off.

^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^

SA is usually way more accurate so when hunting by pistol this is mostly what makes them atractive.

Plus I secretly think all of us Baby Boomers who grew up watching the westerns back in the day,can get close to that feeling of days gone by, and nothing seemed better than a western anyway..
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links