Why Single Actions?

Why Single Actions?

This is a discussion on Why Single Actions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ask this question not to start a debate between DA and SA revolver fans, Im just curious about what draws fans of SA to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Why Single Actions?

Question Why Single Actions?

I ask this question not to start a debate between DA and SA revolver fans, Im just curious about what draws fans of SA to those revolvers?

I currently own 5 DA revolvers and have no current plans to add any SA revolvers to my collection.

I like DA revolvers because you get the best of both worlds in the trigger and you can more easily load and unload them.

So for any of you SA revolver guys or gals, why do you like owning/shooting Single Actions? Is it the old school cowboy nature of the SA or is there something else that I am missing.

Thanks for any replies, and once again Im not trying to start a debate about which is better, DA or SA, just curious about why SA fans flock to that style of revolver.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I don't own one, nor have I ever shot one but...

Bob Munden - nuff said.

Modern Single Action revolvers put effective hunting calibers into affordable packages for enthusiasts. It's easier to build a rugged single action revolver for straight-walled revolver rounds than it is to build a similarly chambered double-action and the single action may be sold at lower cost.

Colt Single Action Army clones put period imitations into affordable packages for western enthusiasts. They offer the flavor of the Colt original without the prohibitive cost of acquiring one.

Perhaps the single action revolver makes one feel "needed" as it requires more operator manipulation to use. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

And to add what bmcgilvray said, the SA is less complex in it's built, so less to break. They are considered much more durable.

But the greatest advantage is their natural pointing qualities.

They do require more work to use in this capacity, but it pays off.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    And to add what bmcgilvray said, the SA is less complex in it's built, so less to break. They are considered much more durable.

But the greatest advantage is their natural pointing qualities.

They do require more work to use in this capacity, but it pays off.
    This is the greatest attribute in my opinion. They shoot where you look without aiming. Also modern ones tend to be stronger than other designs. Proof of that quality is available by looking in a loading manual. Many list hotter loads meant for modern single action handguns but not to be used in modern double actions.

Michael

The Airweight can go either way but I always fire SA at targets because I'm way more accurate.
    marcclarke and ArmyMan like this.

Thanks for any replies, and once again I’m not trying to start a debate about which is better, DA or SA, just curious about why SA fans flock to that style of revolver.
    I don't currently own one but I do have a Super Blackhawk on my wishlist. When/if I get one it won't be replacing any of my DA revolvers however. I just want one. Not everything I do has to make sense.

I like them because I'm used to them. When I was a kid all the adults I knew were ranchers since that's what my Dad did for a living and his close friends were the guys from the immediate area around us.

All of them I can recall carried a pistol of some type just about every day and considered them a necessary tool. Most of those guns were SA's with a scattering of DA's. Those guns lived a hard life and the owners sure got their money's worth out of them.

My Dad carried a Colt .38-40 and since I respected and admired him I guess it was just always in my mind that a man carried a sidearm and the best there was had to be the Colt SAA since that's what Dad chose.

When I got my first handgun it was a Colt SAA in .357. I've still got it and still use it a lot. It's simple,tough and accurate and I feel more comfortable with it than any other handgun I own.

My Dad and his friends used theirs to put down injured animals or get rid of Coyotes if they didn't have a rifle handy (That's usually when you see 'yotes,when you don't have a rifle) and they'll drill a hole in a post if fence needed a quick repair and other tools weren't at hand right then. Even though I doubt any of them thought much about needing to use them for defense back in those days, It would have taken a real fool to attempt harm to them or their families. Those SA's were second nature to them and would have filled the role of defensive gun just fine imo.
    Once, msgt/ret and Beans like this.

JD
    Administrator
    I dunno, but I sure do want one of these in .45LC/.45ACP

Senior Moderator
    I have Colt Single Action Army clone in .45LC, becasue I like to play cowboy
    You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I just realized after reading all of the above, I almost always shoot my DAs in single action mode. I'm far more accurate SA than DA. I'm guessing most people probably are.
    marcclarke likes this.

Well ya know........everything about guns isn't about self protection and defending our Republic.

Some of us love SA revolvers because of the historical context of the firearm. I own two 45 Colt Revolvers; one a Colt Single Action Army with 4 3/4in barrel, blued with case hardened frame and traditional Colt grips and the other a Ruger New Vaquero in stainless 4 5/8in barrel with stag grips. The Colt is the basic same revolver (excluding black powder Colts) and in the same caliber as built and adopted by the US Army in 1873. Notwithstanding some posters that claim Colt isn't what it used to be.....my revolver is beautiful and a piece of art and has a wonderful sa trigger right out of the box.....and it's a blast to shoot and very accurate. Sure, I have self defense handguns, but I also love shooting older/classic handguns.

VIP Member
    I picked up a Beretta Stampede just because I did not have a SA revolver. Its 45 long colt has a classic look and feel. I got it on the cheap used at the LGS I think they had it marked wrong and brought it home with me. Just a range gun for me not anything else. Fun to shoot but only short distances. I make my own reloads for it. I would not want it for defense since it takes a bit to load and unload. It is not that accurate so I would not use for hunting. It is a pretty gun and had great balance. Not the gun we talk alot about on this forum. ( sorry the upload failed on my photo)

Got me a single action Ruger blackhawk .357mag/9mm. I almost exclusively shoot the 9mm cylinder because I usually have lots of 9mm laying around. There's something satisfying about pulling that big hammer back for each shot plus having to load and unload all 6 chambers individually means you burn less ammo in a session. That long sight radius and single action trigger makes it easy to make coffee cans dance.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Marshal Sam McCloud used them quite well in NYC....:)
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links