Bad grouping

This is a discussion on Bad grouping within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, one of my many pistols is a S&W 4506. Great gun, it was a service pistol used by a friend a while back ...

Thread: Bad grouping

Bad grouping

Hey guys, one of my many pistols is a S&W 4506. Great gun, it was a service pistol used by a friend a while back in the PD. I took it out the other day and couldn't get a good group with it which isn't a problem with my other guns. I let a buddy try it out and he shot great with it. I have fairly small hands and the 4506 is a really large gun. I'm wondering if because I can't get a good grip on it, it's throwing my grouping off. Actually I'm pretty sure that's what it is, could swapping the grips for something more streamline help, or should I just try and trade it in for a 1911. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343414207.086672.jpg

2. Remove Ads

There are plenty of trade-in 3900-series S&W semi-autos, out there. Check GunsAmerica or GunBroker. There's a dozen 3953's on GunsAmerica right now, for example, at under $400 ea. 3913, 3953, 3904 and others. My favorite is probably the 3953 3.5in bbl DAO single-stack, or the 3913. Same great accuracy and quality, but with much better feel (smaller grip circumference) for those of us with smaller hands. Might be worth a trade, if you love Smith's 4506 format but just want a smaller variant of the type.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    You're probably pulling the trigger sideways instead of straight back. This will shift your sight alignment.

If you don't get rid of that gun, it will infect the rest of your collection. Lucky for you, I've just started a faulty gun rescue facility!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Is that it in the photo? I've got a 4566, the shorter version of the 4506, and if you have smaller hands, I'm willing to bet that palm-swell grip is the issue. Mine had the Hogue grips with that same design, and I installed the factory straight grips. BIG difference in fit and feel. Midway carried them at the time. Around $20 w/shp.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links