The Verdict's in on a Handgun for My Son

This is a discussion on The Verdict's in on a Handgun for My Son within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, A few weeks ago I asked for your thoughts on what handgun to get for my son who's moving to a large city ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Verdict's in on a Handgun for My Son

The Verdict's in on a Handgun for My Son

Hey guys,
    A few weeks ago I asked for your thoughts on what handgun to get for my son who's moving to a large city to attend college. After handling a number of guns, he liked the feel of the S&W SD9VE, Springfield XD, Walther PPQ and the 1911's, was ok w/ the M&P but didn't like the Glock.
    Some suggested not giving up on the Glock until after he'd actually shot it. Here's the link to the thread.
    What gun would you suggest for my son?

After shooting a Glock 17, he liked it and shot decent w/ it. He later shot an XDM as well, and liked it, but the full size was to big and the compact not quite big enough. His favorite is actually an Officer's 1911, and although I love the 1911 (and frequently carry one myself), I think there are better guns for a newbie, like him.

Anyway, we've settled on the Glock Model 19. I've ordered a police trade in for $385 from www. Glockmeister.com

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestions. You were right to recommend not giving up on the Glock until after he'd shot it. The Glock's main selling point was the trigger-slightly lighter, more consistent and less take up than others (except for the 1911's, of course). Now I'll need to go buy some more 9mm ammo!
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

2. Remove Ads

the 19 is my favorite Glock. i'm glad it suited your son. and thanks for letting us know what was finally chosen!
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

The G19 Might be the most versatile handgun ever.
    kmagnuss and nerdyvirgin like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Glad he found something he likes. From all them koolaid drinkers out there I've heard great things.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

The G 19 was my first Glock and carry gun. I'm very very satisfied.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Congradulations to your son. I wanted to give up on Glocks before I tried them. Im not huge on mainstream anything, except music and movies. But I gave it a shot, pun intended. Im all for the G23 but jelous cuz you 9mm Glock fans get 33 rounds where as I get 22 :(
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Excellent choice. One of best point-shoot firearms I've used. Cheaperthandirt.com did have mags reasonably priced. Also, Magills.com is another good source for Glock stuff, holsters and accessories. Tell him no lead bullets-they have a hexagonally rifled barrel and will get leaded to point it can cause a barrel explosion. Also, with short barrel, stay away from the heavy bullets like the 147grain weight...wouldn't go over 124grain. Few friends have problems with guns in past and all cases turned out to be shorter barrel not able to cycle correctly with the heavier bullets. Hornady Critical Defense is probably one of best rounds, or maybe Magsafe (what airmarshalls like because of low ricochet chances). Good luck, and tell him to practice.

the glock kool-aid stand is now open for business

gl.jpg

my daughter loves my g26, I took her to the range with 7 different guns and made the mistake of letting her shoot the glock first. everything after that had to compare with the Glock and to her nothing did. lets of people complain about the sights but I/her love the dot in the box sights;easy to line up

19 is a good gun.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    G19 is an awesome choice, might not be the most comfortable, but they shoot good and are, of course, extremely reliable.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

You did a great thing for your son...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a Glock 20 (10 mm) but I still prefer to carry a 1911 45 acp, great firearms.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Congrats to your son. And congrats to you for being a great Dad

The G 19 was my first 9mm. Love it!!
    Live for today because no one promised you tomorrow!!

VIP Member
    Glad he shot one(glock) and was able to decide it was for him.
    I think either a 19 or a 26, which would accept the 19 mags will work out great.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links