I suppose everyone needs at least one (Glock)

This is a discussion on I suppose everyone needs at least one (Glock) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I honestly thought I'd sworn off Glocks and polymer pistols forever once I got rid of my 26. Really. It was a brick, felt weird, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I suppose everyone needs at least one (Glock)

I suppose everyone needs at least one (Glock)

I honestly thought I'd sworn off Glocks and polymer pistols forever once I got rid of my 26. Really.

It was a brick, felt weird, carried weird, and was just awkward. Plus I needed to buy an extension just to make it feel halfway okay in my hand. But dang if it wasn't somehow one of the most accurate guns I've ever owned...

Today I was in Academy looking at stuff and I saw the Glocks in the case. Despite my previous experience with them I couldn't help but remember just how accurate the thing was. Long story short, I walked out of the store with this.

A Glock 19. They had both new in box Gen 4's and Gen 3's, but the Gen 3's were $50 cheaper. For no reliability issues and a proven track record, it was a no brainer. I jumped on the Gen 3. I will say that the Gen 4's felt better in the hand, but not $50 better.

I'm reminded of the awkwardness I experienced with my 26. It's a brick, and feels weird in the hand. But it's tons better than my 26 ever was with the full length grip. The trigger is just as nice as I remember, and if it's anything like my 26 (should be better) I'll be making single hole groups at the range here before long.

Also, since I owned my 26 for a good while I have several holsters for it too.

We'll have to see how it carries. It probably won't replace my Bersa Thunder 9 as my summer carry piece although it may stand in from time to time. I can see it being taken in less than favorable environments.
    Last edited by OD*; July 28th, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Awesome! I have a M&P9 but I still want a G19...
    Last edited by Burns; July 28th, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    ...They had both new in box Gen 4's and Gen 3's, but the Gen 3's were $50 cheaper. For no reliability issues and a proven track record, it was a no brainer. I jumped on the Gen 3. I will say that the Gen 4's felt better in the hand, but not $50 better...
    For that $50, you would have gotten the better feel AND an extra mag, and the new gen 3s have no better track record than the gen 4s.

Regardless, congrats on your new G19. Hope you enjoy it.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    Glock Certified Armorer

no you don't

It's sorta like the old potato chip ad, "You can't stop with just one".

Yeah, I know. I have a couple. They do shoot well, and they are fast. Folks say they are awful, and folks say they are far and away the best. But they surely work, no doubt about that.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    For that $50, you would have gotten the better feel AND an extra mag, and the new gen 3s have no better track record than the gen 4s.

Well there is that too. But I really don't need 3 mags and I like the Gen 3, so it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Yeah, I know. I have a couple. They do shoot well, and they are fast. Folks say they are awful, and folks say they are far and away the best. But they surely work, no doubt about that.
    Absolutely...that's one thing that got me coming back to Glock...the pure no nonsense functionality of them.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I came to a similar conclusion about the Model 26. I've owned at least two of them and at least two G27s (including a Gen 4) and they all worked extremely well, very reliable and accurate. Now, after taking a few disappointing dances with some pocket pistol .380s, I've come back to the Gen 4 Model 26. And, guess what? That accuracy thing you were talking about, Massad Ayoob provides a very rational explanation for it in a book/magazine published this spring called The Complete Book of Handguns. Pick up a copy and read it. Very interesting.

Good luck with the 19, which has ALWAYS been one of the most popular Glocks.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

A lot of truth in this thread. Glocks, you either love em or hate em. But, they do go bang, every time. I'm an XD fan at heart. But I am considering a Glock 21 or 30 as my next handgun purchase. I don't usually sell out to the "my gun choice is better than yours" BS of firearm ownership. Buy what you like....and enjoy.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Very nice! Well done!
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post

Bingo!! I will take the extra mag, extended mag release, way better grip, and dot connector any day of the week. The Gen 4 is the best Glock ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Well there is that too. But I really don't need 3 mags and I like the Gen 3, so it's all good.

Absolutely...that's one thing that got me coming back to Glock...the pure no nonsense functionality of them.
    After Obama regretfully wins reelection, you may think differently when you go to replace a mag or get a third one and all that is for sale is ten rounders. Congrats on the Glock, everyone needs at least three of them.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I to had a 27 that was very accurate. I ended up selling it to a friend because the short blocky grip just wasnt for me. I picked up a gen 4 G22 and it felt GREAT. Ive learned to carry a fullsize now and have 15 rounds of .40 at my disposal if needed.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    The G19 in my opinion is the best all around handgun ever made. It has no weakness. Good choice!
    Fitch and GunTrooper like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Bingo!! I will take the extra mag, extended mag release, way better grip, and dot connector any day of the week. The Gen 4 is the best Glock ever made.

After Obama regretfully wins reelection, you may think differently when you go to replace a mag or get a third one and all that is for sale is ten rounders. Congrats on the Glock, everyone needs at least three of them.
    I hear you about the Gen 4's better grip, it really did feel nicer. I'm not sure I'd say it's the best Glock ever just yet. But it's very nice.

My previous Glock experience was Gen 3 and I didn't feel like chancing it.

Thanks to all for the congrats. I'm anxious to take it out shooting and see if it's just as accurate as my late 26 was. I'm betting it will be. I'm also betting that it will be boringly reliable, not that there's any surprise there.

Between this and my AK, I'm pretty much set for the zombie apocalypse when there isn't a cleaning kit in sight. Although, my new Glock did come with it's own nice little cleaning brush.

You did well, 380ACP, but have you ever grabbed onto a Glock-36?
    revldm likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links