New carry gun

New carry gun

This is a discussion on New carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to the forum and ccw. I have always been around guns, but have never carried. I am a contractor in Florida and am outside ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New carry gun

New carry gun

New to the forum and ccw. I have always been around guns, but have never carried. I am a contractor in Florida and am outside in the hot sun a lot. Usually I wear kakhi pants, jeans, or carhart pants and have a tucked in shirt.

I have been looking at Glocks, 19, 30sf mainly. Some friends have told me about the M and Ps, but was looking for some recommendations for iwb for hot weather. Should I look for a smaller framed gun for hot weather ??

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OneSilverT View Post
    New to the forum and ccw. I have always been around guns, but have never carried. I am a contractor in Florida and am outside in the hot sun a lot. Usually I wear kakhi pants, jeans, or carhart pants and have a tucked in shirt.

I have been looking at Glocks, 19, 30sf mainly. Some friends have told me about the M and Ps, but was looking for some recommendations for iwb for hot weather. Should I look for a smaller framed gun for hot weather ??

Thanks!
    I live in Atlanta and have not found it difficult to conceal a full-sized auto wearing shorts and a t-shirt, so long as you are willing to wear dark-colored, over-sized shirts. If you have to tuck your shirt in it makes it harder, but a Cross Breed Super Tuck holster may be the ticket.

Oh, and welcome aboard.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    G19s and M&Ps (full size, c, and shields) are all good choices. I got a M&P9 full size, awesome gun and not too bad to carry, but I ended up also getting a Ruger LCP for very hot weather or when I'm unable to carry something big. Whether you choose a M&P or a Glock, both are very good.
    Doodle likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I live in S. FL, carry a G30, but rarely tuck a shirt in (always hated it). I bought some long tail Ts that will comfortably cover a Howitzer. Check out this sight for loose shirts that may help answer your questions. And yes, either Glock would be a good choice (as well as many other makes).

Men's Workwear, Women's Work Wear, Work Clothing - Duluth Trading Company
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

This is just me, but I find carrying a gun the size of a Glock 19 IWB to be somewhat uncomfortable. Others do not, so it's just a personal preference really. And of course, having to wear a tucked in shirt kind of makes it impossible to carry any other way with a Glock sized gun.

I just bought myself a Glock 19 today, actually. Fine, versatile combat proven weapon.

Between the two, I'd probably pick the Glock. I love S&W, but when it comes to tupperware I think Glock has the best formula going for them. Plain, simple, and reliable. I think you could comfortably carry a 19 in the summer with a Crossbreed Supertuck style holster.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

From why I have been reding, it sound like I will have to look for some new shirts to wear untucked. I have wondered how tucking in a shirt works while carrying.

Thanks for the help!

Glocks will work just fine for you...Glock-19 ...unless you like bigger holes, then the Glock-30 would be perfect.
    I have both and wouldn't let either go.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I like my Glock 19 for IWB, but on rare occasions it can become uncomfortable, I won't lie. For me a Glock 26 works much better in the areas of comfort and conceal-ability, especially when I'm doing something like yard work or hiking. Best of luck and welcome!
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    There are many fine firearms available both in a bigger and smaller frames. Take a trip and play at your local gun store and see what works for you.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Oh Forgot! Welcome to the forum

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSilverT View Post
    From why I have been reding, it sound like I will have to look for some new shirts to wear untucked. I have wondered how tucking in a shirt works while carrying.

Thanks for the help!
    Either way you will probably want to go up 1 size in your shirts. With the proper tuckable holster you shouldn't have a problem. One thing to remember, your gun is just 1/3 of your carry setup. You need to invest money in a good quality gun belt as well as a good quality holster. They will have a big impact on conceal-ability and comfort.

BTW Welcome to the forum.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks. Been looking at Custom Leather Gun Belts by customgunbelts.com belts and have looked t several holsters including crossbreed and theis.

Also looked at tactipac. How would a 19 ride in this?

I also live in GA...and carry a G19 most of the time and occasionally my SP101. If you choose a good holster and make decent wardrobe choices you should be fine. Good Luck in making your final EDC pick.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

CJM
    A Glock 19 or an M&P9 would be both good options. If it were me, I would take a long hard look at the Walther PPQ. If I get back into striker fired polymer guns, a PPQ will be my pick.

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

Before Wisconsin had a Concealed Carry law I always wore my T shirts tucked in, too. Now I leave it untucked. I have a S&W Sigma which is basically a clone of the Glock 23 & it conceals adequately. A Glock 19, 23, some of the smaller Glock sub-compacts, S&W SD, M&P compacts or Sigmas should all be concealable. A lot depends on your body build, the type of holster & how long & how loose your shirts are. I have my favorite "concealable" T shirts.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links