Ruger LC9 Slide Safety Question

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 Slide Safety Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quick question about the slide safety on the Ruger lc9... According to the manual, this gun may still discharge if dropped with a round in ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sid1
  • 1 Post By Armydad

Thread: Ruger LC9 Slide Safety Question

Ruger LC9 Slide Safety Question

Quick question about the slide safety on the Ruger lc9...

According to the manual, this gun may still discharge if dropped with a round in the chamber. Although this doesn't make much sense and may only be CYA in the manual, I'm curious if enabling the slide safety would prevent this?

This weapon is a double action automatic, but the process of chambering a round also half-cocks the hammer, so I could imagine a scenario where it's dropped and the hammer releases. Would that be enough to trigger a ND even at half cocked? This weapon does not have a decocker.

The safety prevents the slide from moving and prevents the trigger from being pulled... I'm curious if anyone knows enough about the mechanics of it to say if it also prevents the hammer from dropping?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Good question, interested to hear informed answers.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    According to the manual, this gun may still discharge if dropped with a round in the chamber. Although this doesn't make much sense and may only be CYA in the manual, I'm curious if enabling the slide safety would prevent this?
    Funny... I see "LOADED WHEN UP," but I don't see "SHOOTS WHEN DROPPED" anywhere on the gun. It must be one of those guns that are dangerous when you put a round in them!

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Quick question about the slide safety on the Ruger lc9...

According to the manual, this gun may still discharge if dropped with a round in the chamber.

i'm really interested in the answer to this. i didn't think ANYONE designed and produced a (modern) gun these days that could fire when dropped.

http://ruger.com/products/_manuals/lc9.pdf

The manual states that a firing pin block will prevent the gun firing unless the trigger is pulled. Later on a warning states the gun may fire if dropped. Below that a warning states any gun may fire if dropped. Sounds like a CYA thing.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    i'm really interested in the answer to this. i didn't think ANYONE designed and produced a (modern) gun these days that could fire when dropped.
    From what I've read, this isn't uncommon. That said, logically it doesn't make much sense, but that's what the manual says.

I was amused at the 'any gun may fire if dropped', I bet Glock and many others would not agree

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    It sounds like its a CYA in the manual. As manuals are written, the person creating this manual gets his info from everyone designers, engineers (most likely a lot of them) and of course the legal department (most likely a lot of them). It's a constant battle between the legal department and engineers. Documents are the the least of the concern until its time to release the production piece. So when it's time to release the manual the nomanclature may have never gotten worked out.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    It sounds like its a CYA in the manual. As manuals are written, the person creating this manual gets his info from everyone designers, engineers (most likely a lot of them) and of course the legal department (most likely a lot of them). It's a consant fight between the legal department and engineers. Documents are the the least of the concern until its time to release the production piece. So when it's time to release the manual the nomanclature may have never gotten worked out.

I write technical manuals for heavy equipment and the military, and see this everyday.
    I'm sure you're correct. In the end though, there must be a technical answer. Meaning, is there a piece of metal that prevents the hammer from falling when the safety is engaged or not?

Could that mechanism fail, hence Ruger's lawyers required the wording? Sure.

I'm more curious to know, from a mechanical perspective, does the mechanism exist and how does the safety work? Unfortunately, I'm not mechanically inclined enough to determine it myself.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I wish I could give you that answer. I write technical manuals for heavy equipment and the military, and in my case I tend to side with the engineers over the lawyers.

Lawyer 101. With the amount of frivolous lawsuits it is not surprising that they would print this in their manual.
    mr.stuart likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    So drop it and find out...
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OldVet: You are kidding... right?!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Hell, the gun itself has a huge warning stamped into the frame that says to read the owners manual, blah blah blah. This is probably legal stuff in the manual to cover their butts for guns for sale in California, or just a cya in general. Just keep in mind that any gun is a piece of equipment, made by an imperfect human, that could potentially fire if a round is in the chamber and the gun falls just right. I know some of you guys don't like to think about it, but that's reality.

Just closing the loop on this.

I spoke to my local neighborhood gunsmith, and he said that the LC9 has a hammer block that prevents the hammer from dropping unless the trigger is pulled. So he pretty much assured me there's no way it can go off by dropping it, regardless of if the safety is on or not.

Links