Going all in for the 1911

This is a discussion on Going all in for the 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You like what you like; no one else has to. But think you'll miss that 10mm....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Going all in for the 1911

  1. #16
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    14,582
    You like what you like; no one else has to. But think you'll miss that 10mm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,412
    "And here I am right back to square one!"

    You and the USMC apparently.

    Still, that 10mm sure sounds like the most interesting Glock of them all.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

    Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

  4. #18
    VIP Member
    Array ppkheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,969
    Good write up and a compliment to the 100 year old design of a 1911.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

  5. #19
    Senior Member Array borglyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    889
    Well said!
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

  6. #20
    Member Array wscottp7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    85
    I carry what I shoot best, 1911's and HK P7's and really don't care what the world thinks.
    45ACP4ever likes this.
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid."

  7. #21
    Member Array MLittle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    449
    This actually the same process I went through with my carry handguns. I came to a different conclusion however; instead of a 1911 my primary carry choice is a Sig P220 (Carry). In fact, I like the P220 so much I bought a second one so that I have one for the range and one for carry. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my two Glocks (26 and 30sf). Since I have multiple holsters for these two pistols it probably makes sense just to hang on to them rather then sell them. For me, I just shoot the Sigs a lot better than the Glocks.

  8. #22
    Senior Member Array 45ACP4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    653
    One of the best things I've read in this thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by wscottp7 View Post
    I carry what I shoot best, 1911's and HK P7's and really don't care what the world thinks.
    I am glad to see someone going out and doing a test of what they are trying to decide between instead of putting their faith in the latest and greatest or whatever X trainer uses.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

  9. #23
    Senior Member Array Dennis1209's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NW, TN
    Posts
    744
    I'm half tempted to shoot you a couple of James Yeagerisms from Tactical Response.

    If you watch his Youtube video "1911's Suck", you may be buying all your Glocks back!

    As far as me and my house, I'll keep my 1911 Kimbers.
    I think, therefore I am...

    <the Menace>

  10. #24
    VIP Member Array BigJon10125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,955
    So if you are dropping all of your glocks are you losing the 10mm and replacing it with a colt defender 10mm? Give you something new to work for. Great write up as always. I will be getting a 1911 soon and hope to learn with it and your experience as well as others'. Aside from the look, and slim design, to me the 1911 has always been nostalgic. I have always thought that there must be some reason a 100 year old design has been so successful.

    I have recently, slightly before, and more after, your recent j frame write up been yearning for and appreciating the simple tried and true design. As you and others have stated, a well taken care of 1911 should, can and will function just fine. I want it to work as a new ccw, when i can get another that will be commander size. This write up will keep me diligent on figuring out what I need to do to keep it crankin 230 gr lead down range at all times.
    BigJon


    "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

  11. #25
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    7,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I'm half tempted to shoot you a couple of James Yeagerisms from Tactical Response.

    If you watch his Youtube video "1911's Suck", you may be buying all your Glocks back!

    As far as me and my house, I'll keep my 1911 Kimbers.
    I seen u'm. I have no issue with him, but I dont reckon his resume has much on my own, other than he makes a living off his knowledge.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  12. #26
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    7,867
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    So if you are dropping all of your glocks are you losing the 10mm and replacing it with a colt defender 10mm? Give you something new to work for. Great write up as always. I will be getting a 1911 soon and hope to learn with it and your experience as well as others'. Aside from the look, and slim design, to me the 1911 has always been nostalgic. I have always thought that there must be some reason a 100 year old design has been so successful.

    I have recently, slightly before, and more after, your recent j frame write up been yearning for and appreciating the simple tried and true design. As you and others have stated, a well taken care of 1911 should, can and will function just fine. I want it to work as a new ccw, when i can get another that will be commander size. This write up will keep me diligent on figuring out what I need to do to keep it crankin 230 gr lead down range at all times.
    The name.....Glockman10mm, actually was a product of my lack of imagination while I was first filling out the info for joining the forum. I had never been a member or participated on onet forums up until I joined here a few years back. My motivation in doing so was due to loosing a dear "gun" friend, and desiring to communicate and discuss all things gun related, as we did every day before his death.

    The 10mm was always a passion for me, since its introduction, and I will always believe it to be the most versatile auto pistol cartridge to be had. But, alas. my love for revolvers, and timeless classics has got the better of me
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  13. #27
    Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Posts
    1,291
    Good write up. I went all in on my first
    gun which was a 1911 and then followed up with a M&P9. I like the M&P but the 1911 gets the nod every time.

  14. #28
    VIP Member
    Array TWO GUNS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    2,560
    I love my 1911 and shoot 1911's better than any other pistols. But I would never get rid of my Glocks. They are just to easy to carry all day long.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

  15. #29
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    7,867
    Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I love my 1911 and shoot 1911's better than any other pistols. But I would never get rid of my Glocks. They are just to easy to carry all day long.
    I am dedicating myself to one auto pistol platform, so I have no need of anything else. I will keep all the hi cap mags I have collected over the years for them, but other than that, they are a dime a dozen.
    Last edited by OD*; July 30th, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  16. #30
    VIP Member Array 40Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Where the deer and the antelope roam
    Posts
    2,463
    I did the same thing you did and settled on Glocks. Either way you can't go wrong.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1911 carried in the rain
,
1911 cco or glock 19
,

1911 shooting drills

,
carried my 1911 in the rain
,
how oftrn to wipe down ss colt
,
james yeagerisms
,
thorough write-up 1911's
,
where are all the 1911's going
,
xds 45 for sale
Click on a term to search for related topics.