Going all in for the 1911

This is a discussion on Going all in for the 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You like what you like; no one else has to. But think you'll miss that 10mm....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Going all in for the 1911

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You like what you like; no one else has to. But think you'll miss that 10mm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

"And here I am right back to square one!"

You and the USMC apparently.

Still, that 10mm sure sounds like the most interesting Glock of them all.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Good write up and a compliment to the 100 year old design of a 1911.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Well said!
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

I carry what I shoot best, 1911's and HK P7's and really don't care what the world thinks.
    45ACP4ever likes this.
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid."

This actually the same process I went through with my carry handguns. I came to a different conclusion however; instead of a 1911 my primary carry choice is a Sig P220 (Carry). In fact, I like the P220 so much I bought a second one so that I have one for the range and one for carry. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my two Glocks (26 and 30sf). Since I have multiple holsters for these two pistols it probably makes sense just to hang on to them rather then sell them. For me, I just shoot the Sigs a lot better than the Glocks.

One of the best things I've read in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by wscottp7 View Post
    I carry what I shoot best, 1911's and HK P7's and really don't care what the world thinks.
    I am glad to see someone going out and doing a test of what they are trying to decide between instead of putting their faith in the latest and greatest or whatever X trainer uses.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I'm half tempted to shoot you a couple of James Yeagerisms from Tactical Response.

If you watch his Youtube video "1911's Suck", you may be buying all your Glocks back!

As far as me and my house, I'll keep my 1911 Kimbers.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

So if you are dropping all of your glocks are you losing the 10mm and replacing it with a colt defender 10mm? Give you something new to work for. Great write up as always. I will be getting a 1911 soon and hope to learn with it and your experience as well as others'. Aside from the look, and slim design, to me the 1911 has always been nostalgic. I have always thought that there must be some reason a 100 year old design has been so successful.

I have recently, slightly before, and more after, your recent j frame write up been yearning for and appreciating the simple tried and true design. As you and others have stated, a well taken care of 1911 should, can and will function just fine. I want it to work as a new ccw, when i can get another that will be commander size. This write up will keep me diligent on figuring out what I need to do to keep it crankin 230 gr lead down range at all times.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I'm half tempted to shoot you a couple of James Yeagerisms from Tactical Response.

If you watch his Youtube video "1911's Suck", you may be buying all your Glocks back!

As far as me and my house, I'll keep my 1911 Kimbers.
    I seen u'm. I have no issue with him, but I dont reckon his resume has much on my own, other than he makes a living off his knowledge.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    So if you are dropping all of your glocks are you losing the 10mm and replacing it with a colt defender 10mm? Give you something new to work for. Great write up as always. I will be getting a 1911 soon and hope to learn with it and your experience as well as others'. Aside from the look, and slim design, to me the 1911 has always been nostalgic. I have always thought that there must be some reason a 100 year old design has been so successful.

I have recently, slightly before, and more after, your recent j frame write up been yearning for and appreciating the simple tried and true design. As you and others have stated, a well taken care of 1911 should, can and will function just fine. I want it to work as a new ccw, when i can get another that will be commander size. This write up will keep me diligent on figuring out what I need to do to keep it crankin 230 gr lead down range at all times.
    The name.....Glockman10mm, actually was a product of my lack of imagination while I was first filling out the info for joining the forum. I had never been a member or participated on onet forums up until I joined here a few years back. My motivation in doing so was due to loosing a dear "gun" friend, and desiring to communicate and discuss all things gun related, as we did every day before his death.

The 10mm was always a passion for me, since its introduction, and I will always believe it to be the most versatile auto pistol cartridge to be had. But, alas. my love for revolvers, and timeless classics has got the better of me
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Good write up. I went all in on my first
    gun which was a 1911 and then followed up with a M&P9. I like the M&P but the 1911 gets the nod every time.

VIP Member
    I love my 1911 and shoot 1911's better than any other pistols. But I would never get rid of my Glocks. They are just to easy to carry all day long.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I love my 1911 and shoot 1911's better than any other pistols. But I would never get rid of my Glocks. They are just to easy to carry all day long.
    I am dedicating myself to one auto pistol platform, so I have no need of anything else. I will keep all the hi cap mags I have collected over the years for them, but other than that, they are a dime a dozen.
    Last edited by OD*; July 30th, 2012 at 12:09 AM.

I did the same thing you did and settled on Glocks. Either way you can't go wrong.
    CDW4ME likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links