Going all in for the 1911

This is a discussion on Going all in for the 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking forward to seeing the FS ads....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Going all in for the 1911

Looking forward to seeing the FS ads.
    MisterB likes this.

2. Remove Ads

The 1911 is a classic. Thanks for sharing your study.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    While I don't agree with the 1911 part, I have to agree with doing what's right for you.

VIP Member
    I enjoyed the read. I'm all about Glocks and have almost written off a 1911 because of the high maintenance stories I hear but after reading this, I definitely won't be making that move. It's only right that I give them a chance, just as I one day did with the Glock.

Glad to hear you've made a decision and are completely happy with it.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I prefer to celebrate diversity. I could never throw either of these under the bus for the other.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Glockman,
    Congrats on figuring out what you want to do when you grow up--I still haven't!!

Now, good luck sticking to your guns (pun intended), because I always wind up buying more "toys" and I don't necessarily become as proficient with them as I could. Honestly, that's because I personally feel that having at least one good HD/SD handgun is crucial, but shooting & fooling around with various interesting guns has been a hobby that brings me too much pleasure to abandon in the name of efficiency.

Actually, I got a 1911 about a year ago for old times' sake (it was my issue sidearm for my first 7 years in the Army) and it's my primary house gun. I typically carry two J frames. I believe it's a practical solution, and it's consciously an "old-school" solution. Heck, I was a "historian once, and young," and I like classic/historic stuff. It seems odd to me that the 1911, of all guns, has developed a reputation for being somewhat finicky, when its rep for almost a century was that of an absolute workhorse! I'm not sure anything is as reliable as a Glock, but the classic military 1911 was not too far behind for traditional uses. I suppose that modern competition shooting has put so many different stressors on the 1911 platform that it has had some trouble. Back "in the day," darn few were putting 1000 rounds a week thru a 1911 or any other handgun, and stock parts & fitting, combined with stock mags & ball ammo, developed an enviable reputation for reliability.

They used to say, "beware the one-gun man." You've essentially reverted to that mold by limiting yourself to two, and you have 2650 recently-fired rounds to prove it. My congrats to a hard-working man who pulls enough overtime to buy that much ammo, and still finds time to shoot it up!
    glockman10mm and Kilowatt3 like this.

I am with you. Love both my 1911s but I need to trade in one of mine for a LW one for carry. The solid steel construction is getting heavy!! I do love the platform though.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member
    Good write-up, but I cringe to hear you getting rid of the Glocks (or any trusted firearm for that matter). I've never sold a gun and have no regrets.

I'm still vacillating between carrying the 1911 and Glocks. I can draw and get the first round off quicker with a Glock, but I agree that the weight of the 1911 forgives the trigger slap, providing greater accuracy on that first shot when it does come up. I suppose I'll happily keep on carrying both for now... Until I figure out a comfortable and concealed way to carry a single-action revolver.

It's been interesting to hear your thoughts and observations since picking up that Colt. I'm thinking about selling off a couple guitars so Mrs. Whec doesn't freak out when I come home with my own Gov't model.
    glockman10mm likes this.

OD*
    Excellent read, Gman, excellent read.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

VIP Member
    Well Gman this goes back to my post about a month ago. We never stop evolving in what we like and what our needs are at the time. I have always said that if you gave me one shot with everything on the line, hand me a 1911 or a smooth 6 inch revolver.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I bought my first GLOCK (G19) because I didn't want some truck thief to get my favorite 1911 as a Cracker Jack Prize in the driver door map pocket if my Toyota got stolen. I considered my G19 "easier" to part with. Yes, I shoot my 1911 better. Yes I like the .45 acp better than the 9mm. Yes, I like a SA trigger. And yes, seeing the hammer & sweeping the thumb safety suits me just fine. As my respect & fondness grew for GLOCKs well-deserved, anvil-tough reputation I have used its higher mag capacity as a rationalization to accept the above mentioned, "less-than-ideal" features. Then I recently ran into an old quote from a fellow old goat, Col. Jeff Cooper who said, "magazine capacity is primarily a concern from someone who plans to...miss a lot. So I sure can appreciate your 1911 decision Gman. I could be making the same one soon.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

You certainly put in the trigger time to make your decision!

I like 1911's but that platform is a whole can o' worms I'm not prepared to get into yet. The world of the 1911 is like a religion, and I'm still agnostic!

I do love those Colt repro WW1 1911's, though. I used to read about fellow TN'er Alvin C. York as a kid, and he probably has one of the best combat feats with a 1911 ever. I was tempted to buy one spur of the moment at my local gunstore a while back while in a fever of state patriotism!

Excellently written, gman

Or should I say coltman, 1911man, or 45man... oh never mind I'm just confused
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Gmann I went through this exact same process over a year ago. Sold em all to buy what I liked and shot best, the 1911. Sold some of them too to get better 1911s. Got a jframe for pocket/IWB carry when 1911 carry isn't appropriate.

I fully empathize with you and look forward to your purchase of a 10mm 1911. Just go ahead and get it over with.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

So let's see 1911 is the best p,at form and you love the 10mm exaulting its virtues.

I see a Colt Delta Elite in your future.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links