Going all in for the 1911

This is a discussion on Going all in for the 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 1911247 Yes it has no firing pin safety like the glock, but it has a manual safety that i can see if ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Going all in for the 1911

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    Yes it has no firing pin safety like the glock, but it has a manual safety that i can see if its on or off.
    Taurus PT1911s do have a firing pin safety. Part No.s 1.12, 1.13, 4.16, and 4.17. http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/1911manual.pdf
    JD likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

You know, the Series 80 firing pin safety is a non issue for me. After some wearing in, it's not bad at all.

But trying to depress that little bugger and the firing pin at the same time to put the pin plate cover back on with my big clumsy fingers is a trying experience and test of my patience.
    But the added safety is an acceptable trade off.
    mwhartman likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

OD*
    They're not a concern for me either.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

You know, what you did is the best way to determine what you want to carry....take it out and shoot it, try it, and put it through the paces....got me antsy now to see if I want to do a little switching up when i get home off the boat, my combat commander has been in he safe a long time now, maybe a little too long.....gonna dig it out and just have another look and evaluation, of course the little airweight will always be out of the safe......but it might be time for a reckoning with the rest of my aresanl, or at least trading some places in the safe.......no argument here over what you, or anyone else chooses to carry, as long as you carry it and are proficient, that is the name of the game. Good luck, but are ya gonna be changing your name to [ coltman45 ] ..... anyhow, i have always loved the feel of the 45 in my hands, and i think i started going the other way over weight, but now i have a nice holster n belt maker that might make me look at things differently......
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Whether you disagree or agree with the conclusion, this has got to be one of the best posts I've read on any forum anywhere.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Gman, a good read. I came to your conclusion a number of years ago although I must say I can't compare a Glock since I have never owned one and only pulled the trigger on a couple belonging to friends. Nothing wrong with them they just don't suit me. I started with Colt 1911's and have never left that brand. Thousands of rounds down range with not a single gun related malfunction. I carry a Colt LW Government Model but have several other all steel Colts to increase the pleasure of my range time. I've also carried a j frame off and on for years but settled on a Colt Agent revolver for pocket carry when the big gun is a no-no. Friends laugh when I draw the Agent at the range because I "sweep" the thumb safety on it as I am coming on target just as if there was one. You came to the right decision for you and that's what counts in the long run.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links