Going all in for the 1911

This is a discussion on Going all in for the 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have been absent for a few days, doing some personal shooting trials with the G19, G17, and Colt 1911. In this time, I have burned ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Going all in for the 1911

Going all in for the 1911

Have been absent for a few days, doing some personal shooting trials with the G19, G17, and Colt 1911. In this time, I have burned thru approx 2650 rounds of both 9mm and 45 acp ammo purchased with overtime money, and also a speckling of my reloaded ammo for the 45acp.

There was nothing " scientific " about any of these self induced shooting drills, but mostly to decide which one of these platforms I really preferred.
    I have decided to go all in with the Colt 1911, which means, I have also decided to sell off my remaining Glocks for the purchase of another Colt Gov model in Stainless Steel.

So, here is a couple of thoughts and observations, and reasoning, that have brought me to this place. Keep in mind, this isnt about which was better in the way we normally debate such issues, as I feel that either platform is at the top of the best of the best. Its more about just plain ol preference, in which that preference matches my particular needs and expectations.

My first concern was about durability. Not round count or breakage so much as rust resistance. Since I purchased my Colt, about a year ago, I have been very concerned about sweat, and dirt that can cause issues. Being a blued model, I thought my gun would be showing signs of this by now. I have carried it pretty often during the hot summer months, both last year and this year. So far, with just a little wipe down with an oily rag every evening that has proven to be a non issue.

Another issue I was concerned about was lubrication. I have been lead to believe over the years that the piece must be kept well lubed in order to be reliable. During my shooting spree the past few days, I ran the Colt absolutely dry, and never had an issue. I shot over 210 rounds, including reloads thru the gun, 30, magazines full as fast I could load 5 mags and fire them without an issue. The gun was very hot, but it kept right on chugging along. And, 85 of those rounds were my reloads using Unique powder which is known as a dirty powder.

Additionally, most attribute the SA trigger of the 1911 to be an asset in its shootability. What I came to realize during close quarter, quick shooting drills, is the weight of the 1911 greatly compliments the trigger and natural pointing qualities that allow you to " slap" the trigger and get rounds on target where they should be with less effort and greater speed, especially for that all important first shot.

The Glocks performed as Glocks do. There just cant be enough good things said about them here. In many ways, they could be the very best CCW, and those like them on the market for the vast majority of the people.

Between the J frame revolver, and the Colt, all of my carry needs are ideally met. I have to laugh when I think about this. I remember a time when these were the two most popular combinations of fire power and concealment ( unless you chose the BHP). And here I am right back to square one!

I think too, looking back at all of the 1911s I have owned over the last 31 years, is that I never really took the time to learn the platform. Problems commonly associated with it were experienced by me, such as feeding problems. I now realize that those were probably magazine related for the majority of the times, and ammo related for the remaining. So they were quickly traded, and never really studied or tested during those years.
    Looking back, I wish that I had taken more time with the platform.

Weight and size will be compensated for by proper holster and belt combinations. But for the ability to shoot so well, so quickly, and throw that big slug at 850 fps, the trade off is well worth it in my opinion.

So, the Glocks will be gone, except for the G19, which I will store away for that " rainy day ", and from here on for me, its the Colt Gov model, or S&W revolver for my carry needs, which leads to more simplicity. 230 weight ball ammo, and lswc bullets for both. Life is good.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Nothing beats a side by side comparison to see what you really do best with.

Change username to coltman45acp?
    msgt/ret and zacii like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Hope you have the Kevlar shorts ready for some of the responses!

A sign of intelligence and maturity is the ability to take a critical look at one's choices and re-evaluate them from time to time. I think you've pre-empted some arguments by avoiding a technical discussion of the merits of the gun, and stating that it is simply your preference based on your own thorough evaluation. The latter is validated by 2650 empty cases at your feet and not just an armchair opinion.

So you have one Gov't Model on hand and another on the "coming soon" list - that's a good start!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Why sell glockman? Save them ALL for a "rainy day." Maybe we'll see you on an episode of "Hoarders" too. :) Don't blame you for wanting to keep the G19 though. I really want one myself.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    No flaming from me. The 1911 and the wheel guns s a tried and true platforms that will still be around long after most of us are gone.
    sgb likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I think everybody needs an S&W J-Frame, a Glock 19, and a good 1911.

My first hand gun was a Glock 23 ( along with the 9mm barrel) since then I purchased a gov. Model and a smith j frame. I have recently found my self carrying the 1911 or jframe more than anything. Now I have the urge to buy a commander. Even though I feel like it would be smarter to buy a sub compact 9mm. I really don't know what to do about that but my Glock will never get sold it is my side arm when camping hunting and fishing.

I carry a Stainless Steel Colt Combat Commander XSE with Big Dot sights 24/7,I carry wilson combat 47d 8 round mags for 25 rounds of 230 grn speer Gold Dots as a normal carry,gun looks pretty much as good as it did in the box new and it gets hot and humid down here about 10 months out of the year
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'd carry my Colt too if 1) I was allowed to here and 2) it wasn't so darn pretty

sgb
    No argument from me, like many I've tried all the latest, greatest and newest as they arrived and always went back to what I am most comfortable with. A 1911 on the hip and a J frame in the pocket.

45ACP4ever, kal0 and JerryMac like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Good write up! Personally, I'm down to Glock and 1911 platforms for carry. I prefer to carry a LW CCO 1911; to me it is the right combination of size and barrel length for most carry purposes (but I do prefer the gov't length for extended range time). The 1911s, in general, tend to be very accurate, have good, crisp triggers, and (for me anyhow) shoot where I point them. If they are maintained properly, a decent 1911 isn't going to be a reliability issue. That said, I don't plan on selling my Glocks any time soon. The subcompacts are nice when something smaller than my CCO is needed, simple to use and maintain, and they can take a beating and abuse and still keep chugging.

A J-frame--I don't own one but perhaps I need to think about that .
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Time for a name change!

I recently re-acquired a Glock to give the platform a try again, and it was also a G19. I like it so far but I don't plan on adding another Glock any time soon; for the most part I prefer other platforms as well. It's all about what works best for you, and it's hard to do better in a 1911 than a Colt. I love mine as well.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

You know I've enjoyed my Glocks and my Colt. I've appreciated your advice and suggestions. Therefore, I commend you for making a change that you see as best for you.

I look forward to reading your reports on the Colt.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Have been absent for a few days, doing some personal shooting trials with the G19, G17, and Colt 1911. In this time, I have burned thru approx 2650 rounds of both 9mm and 45 acp ammo purchased with overtime money, and also a speckling of my reloaded ammo for the 45acp.

There was nothing " scientific " about any of these self induced shooting drills, but mostly to decide which one of these platforms I really preferred.
    I have decided to go all in with the Colt 1911, which means, I have also decided to sell off my remaining Glocks for the purchase of another Colt Gov model in Stainless Steel.

So, here is a couple of thoughts and observations, and reasoning, that have brought me to this place. Keep in mind, this isnt about which was better in the way we normally debate such issues, as I feel that either platform is at the top of the best of the best. Its more about just plain ol preference, in which that preference matches my particular needs and expectations.

My first concern was about durability. Not round count or breakage so much as rust resistance. Since I purchased my Colt, about a year ago, I have been very concerned about sweat, and dirt that can cause issues. Being a blued model, I thought my gun would be showing signs of this by now. I have carried it pretty often during the hot summer months, both last year and this year. So far, with just a little wipe down with an oily rag every evening that has proven to be a non issue.

Another issue I was concerned about was lubrication. I have been lead to believe over the years that the piece must be kept well lubed in order to be reliable. During my shooting spree the past few days, I ran the Colt absolutely dry, and never had an issue. I shot over 210 rounds, including reloads thru the gun, 30, magazines full as fast I could load 5 mags and fire them without an issue. The gun was very hot, but it kept right on chugging along. And, 85 of those rounds were my reloads using Unique powder which is known as a dirty powder.

Additionally, most attribute the SA trigger of the 1911 to be an asset in its shootability. What I came to realize during close quarter, quick shooting drills, is the weight of the 1911 greatly compliments the trigger and natural pointing qualities that allow you to " slap" the trigger and get rounds on target where they should be with less effort and greater speed, especially for that all important first shot.

The Glocks performed as Glocks do. There just cant be enough good things said about them here. In many ways, they could be the very best CCW, and those like them on the market for the vast majority of the people.

Between the J frame revolver, and the Colt, all of my carry needs are ideally met. I have to laugh when I think about this. I remember a time when these were the two most popular combinations of fire power and concealment ( unless you chose the BHP). And here I am right back to square one!

I think too, looking back at all of the 1911s I have owned over the last 31 years, is that I never really took the time to learn the platform. Problems commonly associated with it were experienced by me, such as feeding problems. I now realize that those were probably magazine related for the majority of the times, and ammo related for the remaining. So they were quickly traded, and never really studied or tested during those years.
    Looking back, I wish that I had taken more time with the platform.

Weight and size will be compensated for by proper holster and belt combinations. But for the ability to shoot so well, so quickly, and throw that big slug at 850 fps, the trade off is well worth it in my opinion.

So, the Glocks will be gone, except for the G19, which I will store away for that " rainy day ", and from here on for me, its the Colt Gov model, or S&W revolver for my carry needs, which leads to more simplicity. 230 weight ball ammo, and lswc bullets for both. Life is good.
    I agree, except for I think the ultimate concealed carry gun is the new Springfield XDs .45. Would be a great partner to your 1911's. Same grip angle, same round, grip safety, etc. and not to mention thinner than the so called subcompact Glocks, that are more like a brick.

Some will say that the 1911 is the Cadillac of guns. The right one tweaked the right way, makes for a platform that is hard to beat. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links