Shooting the SIG-Sauer P-220 .45 ACP... - Page 2

Shooting the SIG-Sauer P-220 .45 ACP...

This is a discussion on Shooting the SIG-Sauer P-220 .45 ACP... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've carried a Sig P220s or Sig P226, with a P230 as a BUG for bea coup years. I was the Sig Armorer for my ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting the SIG-Sauer P-220 .45 ACP...

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I've carried a Sig P220s or Sig P226, with a P230 as a BUG for bea coup years. I was the Sig Armorer for my department and one of the Sig Armorers for the Agency I worked for. Sigs are great guns, P220s have shorter life spans than do the 226 or 228s. I have worked on guns that have shot mutiple thousands of rounds (I had a 226 that I had shot over 20,000 rounds though and it was surveyed by the FBI to our agency) and other than springs and roll pins have never replaced anything. Some report cracked frames, but I never saw any.

I carried the P220 on duty most of the time.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

The Sig 220 is great and I have owned three as well as a 245, they all shoot better than me. I just picked up a Sig 220 Carry, just a bit shorter and rides in the right place in my IWB rig. Just ordered two holsters from Mitch Rosen, he was great returning my call right away and helped in the selection. Does anyone know if there is another set of grips for the 220 Carry with less of a back strap, the palm swell is a bit high? Why have I purchased so many 220's?? Each was different and I just love Sigs. Thanks in advance.............

I really like my stainless SIG 220. I use it mainly as my home defense pistol, (opting to carry a P3AT or Glock 19 due to constraints where I work.) It is extremely accurate and if I had to choose only one handgun, it would be the one I choose.

My second Sig since 1991 which was a 228. I thought I woud give the 220 a fling. I did not like the way it felt and shot in my hand. I prefer the 1911 pattern . Sold the 220. Same for the M-11 228. I,m not a Sig fan sorry.

Senior Moderator
    Same for the M-11 228. I,m not a Sig fan sorry.
    No need to apologize. While I think Sigs are the best, I realize that they are'nt for everyone and they wont fit the hands of everyone...thats just the way it is. Its that way with all guns. I dont like the way that Glocks feel but some people love em.

BTW....welcome to the forum.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Fowler

I am ''one o' them SIG fans" - - but am fully cognisant of the fact that they will not suit everyone. As HG says - some of us say the same re Glocks!

Main deal is - we all individually find what suits us best - and it can be and usually is, a very personal decision, affected by many factors.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Carried one on duty for the last 8 years of my LE Career. Great Gun, of the thousands and thousands of rounds fired through it, never a burp. But then again, I like well maintained guns.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

While I thought the 220 was accurate it did not have the smooth recoil and return to target like the steel 1911. To me the recoil was sharp with lots of muzzle flip. The 1911 just comes right back on target faster for me with repeat shots and triple taps. I will say its reliable.

In my very humble opinion, a DA/SA such as the 220 is a better carry gun for me than the 1911. Personally, I feel the circumstances surrounding carry as a civilian ccw or as a criminal investigator are more conducive to something without any manual safeties. I don't think a safety is at all slower to use, having carried a weapon with a manual safety for years, but in the event of surprise/physical contact at close range, I want to have to manipulate the weapon as little as possible to get rounds downrange; in a somewhat paradoxical sense, I also feel the heavier DA trigger is more appropriate for defensive use.

If I was carrying a sidearm under more offensive, deliberate circumstances (which I do, but I'm limited to my same DA/SA sidearm), I'd use a 1911 in a heartbeat.

AX

I carry an issued P220R at work. It is a great pistol and very easy to shoot well with. I plan on buying mine upon retirement.

Administrator
    I just got back from the range, it was a fun run just shooting steel poppers....I like my 220 even more now
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 9th, 2006 at 10:03 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I have mine on my hip as I type this post....
    I'll probably be getting a HK USPc 45 at the first of next year, so I'll compare the two then....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fowler View Post
    While I thought the 220 was accurate it did not have the smooth recoil and return to target like the steel 1911. To me the recoil was sharp with lots of muzzle flip. The 1911 just comes right back on target faster for me with repeat shots and triple taps. I will say its reliable.

I find the opposite to be true with my P220ST....
    Guess its perception....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Is the 220st the stainless steel frame model with more weight than the alloy one. Mine was a 1993 alloy frame 220. I LIKE THE BALANCE AND POINT BETTER ON THE STEEL 5" FULLSIZE 1911. iI GUESS NEAR 4 DECADES AND 35 SOME 1911,S I,M USE TO THEM.

I sold my P220 a few months ago because of the DA/SA trigger. I too was bred on single actions arms (though not 1911's) and I could not shoot it naturally in DA. It pointed great and fit my hand like a glove, but I didn't want something that isn't 100% natural (this early in my shooting life, at least). I had the opportunity to fondle a P226 DAO (or is it DAK?) a few weekends ago and it was perfect! Not quite as good of a pull as my SA XD, but very nice. Smooth, consistent and not to long or heavy (about six pounds, I'd guess). If you're looking for a consistent pull every time in a Sig, I'd suggest looking at the DAO models. Too bad they didn't make the P220 in DAO. I have heard that Sig is developing a single action, striker-fired, high capacity .45 for the upcoming Army contract. Definitely something to watch out for.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links