Shooting the SIG-Sauer P-220 .45 ACP...

This is a discussion on Shooting the SIG-Sauer P-220 .45 ACP... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello. Though I've pretty well cast my lot with the traditional single-action automatics, I decided to shoot this P-220 that I bought in '92 after ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting the SIG-Sauer P-220 .45 ACP...

1951 - 2011

Shooting the SIG-Sauer P-220 .45 ACP...

Hello. Though I've pretty well cast my lot with the traditional single-action automatics, I decided to shoot this P-220 that I bought in '92 after seeing some surprisingly accurate shooting being done with one. I also wanted to compare how well it "worked" in more "practical" type shooting for me.

I already knew that this particular pistol would group better than I'm capable of holding and it's been tried with most factory JHP's as well as a number of handloads. The only thing I've found that this particular pistol will not reliably feed with over 5 in the magazine are 200-gr. CSWC's, a rather staple diet for my 1911's. With everything else that I've tried, feeding/extraction/ejection have been flawless.

Speaking only for myself, I still do favor the single-action autos, specifically the Hi Power in 9mm and the 1911-type in .45 ACP, but were I unable to tote a single-action by rule or departmental policy, I believe that in .45 ACP, the P-220 would be my choice.

I didn't have much time to do a lot of shooting with it today, but managed a few slow-fire groups using a rest @ 15 yards and some Failure to Stop drills were repeated on my hand-drawn "Gort" targets that I use for such. These were done from a low-ready, with the first shot being fired double-action. (In the 15 yard slow-fire, all shooting was single-action.)

My particular P-220 groups a bit better with Remington 230-gr. Golden Saber ammunition, but the Winchester RA45T feeds slickly and averages roughly 857 ft/sec from this gun and groups plenty good in my opinion for its intended purpose.

For me, the P-220 was easy to handle starting each drill in double-action. A fellow had a PACT timer and the average for these starting from a low-ready was under 2 secs for the three shots in each drill.

Though I still prefer the single-actions, possibly due to 30 years of using them, I greatly respect the SIG-Sauer P-220.

It is my understanding that newer versions of this pistol are now available, but I have no experience with them. I might have to change that, but for now this basic P-220 serves well.

If interested, here are some more observations and personal opinions on the P-220:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/S...Automatics.htm

Best.

2. Remove Ads

I agree. Currently a newer railed Sig 220 is my only centerfire pistol and I couldn't be happier. Its one of my favorite guns to every spend range time with. I will be applying to the Austin PD and will be lucky enough to be allowed to carry my 220 on duty.

I would like to own the other 45 Sig variants in the future. Like the 245, 220 Carry, 220 Combat, and 220 Match.

1951 - 2011
    Hello, sir, and thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that the post was of interest. Good luck in law enforcement and take care.

Best.

It seems everybody likes the Sig 220 but it gets no glory. Its always 1911s and the new polymer guns. I rarely see any Sig reviews in the gun rags even though there are always reviews of 1911s and ARs that are exactly the same as the one they reviewed last month.

Assistant Administrator
    Well - tho my carry is the 226 I have a 220 and find it a superb gun - only reason for not making it carry all the time is capacity. Guess I am used to a 15+1 situation!

I bought mine from Gary Brommeland and have been delighted - plus of course in my situation, it is also the commonality of manual of arms which makes it even better - not being myself a SA only devotee as Steve is. That said my BHP can see carry duty any time

Nice write up Steve as always, thank you, and I reckon there are few exceptions with folks liking the 220 - probably my favorite .45 platform these days.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Nice Write Up Stephen

I love the 220. and I carry mine a lot.
    It is such a "natural pointer" & mine hits right where I look.
    The grip angle is perfect for me & it just never fails to go bang.
    It's just one of those pistols that will never let you down when push comes to shove.
    It also "Thumb Cocks" extremely well if I ever absolutely need to take an "Eye Of The Needle" deliberate first shot.
    That is why the First Shot DA trigger does not bother me at all.
    It possible to "one hand thumb cock" the hammer just like it was a Single Action Army revolver.
    If I don't need to take the shot then it's a simple matter just to hit the SIG decocker & reholster.
    Stephen...Thanks for remembering this all time classic handgun that started out as the SIG Sauer System - SIG/Browning BDA .45 - another great Browning designed pistol.

Assistant Administrator
    No harm in another pic methinks - I have CT's on mine and find they make grip feel even better. As QK mentions - it is a very ''pointable'' gun.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Wink

Oh that's right...Chris P95Carry is into the 16 stinging little 9mm bees.
    I'll take Half As Many Big Fat Flying Ashtray Bullets any old day.

NONONO, No more 9mm Vs 45ACP debates!!!!!!!!!!!, or i will just have to Moderate ya'll !. As I run screaming down the hall.....
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

VIP Member
    Thanks as usual Mr. C for the review....the P220 is a tad large for me, but the P245 is just right....sadly SIGARMS gave up on this fine gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Guess I am used to a 15+1 situation!
    I'm used to the 13+1 in my Sig 228.

I'd love to get a 220 someday, just can't carry the beast with the work I do.

Put me down as a Sig lover, I just can't carry them all.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    It seems everybody likes the Sig 220 but it gets no glory. Its always 1911s and the new polymer guns. I rarely see any Sig reviews in the gun rags even though there are always reviews of 1911s and ARs that are exactly the same as the one they reviewed last month.

True, I do agree. I do know that Massad Ayoob has written that the 220 is the best SIG produced and that he has carried it on many occasions for defensive carry. I am a big Ayoob fan and if he likes it, then it it I think that says volumes about the pistol. In my opinion, although the SIG P-series is as good or even superior to many other brands out there, they don't seem to get the glory they deserve. It seems that the Glocks and 1911's get most of the press.

BTW: Great write up as usual Mr. Camp!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Yep the 220 has probably the best stamped reciever of any firearm. There are only 2 other guns I wish Sig would come out with. The 1st is the reinstate an updated 245, I can't believe they stopped making it. 2nd is to come out with a true pocket pistol in 9mm, something in the size range of a Micro Kahr and Rohrbaugh. If they did that I'd have no reason to buy another brand of handgun and I'd gladly be loyal

VIP Member
    I think the sigpros are phenomenal (and largely underrated...unless you are French) guns....given a choice between my duty P229 and personal sigpro 357 SIG, I'd choose the latter.....shame they aren't chambered in .45 ACP.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

If SIG would just come out wih their 220 DAK in 38 SUPER I would be in heaven,, carried one in that caliber for years,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links