Sig Sauer P238 380 Cal. Best way to carry loaded?

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P238 380 Cal. Best way to carry loaded? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a Sig Sauer P238 380 Cal. and would like to know how's the best way to carry it loaded? I read - CONDITION ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sig Sauer P238 380 Cal. Best way to carry loaded?

I purchased a Sig Sauer P238 380 Cal. and would like to know how's the best way to carry it loaded? I read - CONDITION ONE - is "cocked and locked." Magazine & chamber are loaded, the hammer is cocked & thumb safety ON. To shot the pistol, just push the safety down to the "FIRE" position and pull the trigger. They say the firing pin has a block in case of drop and will not fire unless you pull the trigger. (CONDITION TWO - is fully loaded (both magazine and chamber) with hammer down on the loaded chamber. The thumb safety is always OFF, but the rebounding firing pin does not touch the primer and the firing pin safety prevents its doing so, even if the pistol is dropped. To shoot the pistol, manually cock the hammer and pull the trigger. There is a half-cock notch to catch the hammer if it slips, as long as the trigger is not pulled at the time. - CONDITION THREE - is loaded magazine, but empty chamber. Thumb safety is always OFF. To shoot pistol slide must first be racked to chamber a cartridge, then pull trigger. What do you think is the best way to carry?

Condition one but not in a pocket.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Depends on how you feel comfortable. Pick a method and train with it. I would advise one of the two with a round in the chamber. In a life threatening situation you may not have time to rack the slide.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Get a good quality holster and carry in condition 1. When I carry my P238 equinox it is in condition 1. I don't carry it in the pocket tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    Condition One in an appropriate holster.
    Nothing wrong with C1 pocket carry IMHO and long as you use a pocket holster that covers the entire trigger guard and the safety level AND you don't put anything else in that pocket.

Congratulations on your new P238... it's an exceptional pistol.

If this is your first "1911 style" Single Action pistol, I've only got three words for ya: practice, practice, practice.
    Develop that muscle memory to disengage the safety as you're acquiring the sight picture.... not before! You can drill on this with an unloaded weapon (double and triple check!). It's OK to dry-fire a P238 with or without a snap-cap, though many prefer "with".
    dragonfly13 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

When I carry my Mustang Pocketlites (same gun as the P238, basically, but by Colt) I carry them Condition 1, either in a Renegade ankle rig or a pocket holster.

Condition one- cocked and locked in a pocket holster that covers the already strong thumb safety. Don't know why some are so afraid to carry this firearm the way it was designed to be carried. I've been carrying my P238 that way for almost two years in shorts and jeans. Never a problem. Never heard of a single incident of anyone shooting their do-dads because of condition one carry in front pocket.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhcmlc View Post
    Never heard of a single incident of anyone shooting their do-dads because of condition one carry in front pocket.
    But if it did, with a .380, you'd probably miss the jewels anyway.
    JoeK likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I carry mine in condition one with a good holster that has a thumb break that sits in front of the hammer just in case. Galco makes an ankle rig that is very similar. I think that is the best way to carry the pistol, always ready.

Cocked and locked in a pocket holster. Never had it come off safe, no problems. Guys carry 1911s all the time the same way, only pointed at the cheek of the ass and the hamstring rather than the kneecap. My 238 has never and will never be pointed at the place no man wants to be shot.

Kneecapping oneself would be enough, don't you think? I suspect that little 380 would feel like a 300 H&H.

Quote Originally Posted by pjcarthur View Post
    I purchased a Sig Sauer P238 380 Cal. and would like to know how's the best way to carry it loaded? I read - CONDITION ONE - is "cocked and locked." Magazine & chamber are loaded, the hammer is cocked & thumb safety ON. To shot the pistol, just push the safety down to the "FIRE" position and pull the trigger. They say the firing pin has a block in case of drop and will not fire unless you pull the trigger. (CONDITION TWO - is fully loaded (both magazine and chamber) with hammer down on the loaded chamber. The thumb safety is always OFF, but the rebounding firing pin does not touch the primer and the firing pin safety prevents its doing so, even if the pistol is dropped. To shoot the pistol, manually cock the hammer and pull the trigger. There is a half-cock notch to catch the hammer if it slips, as long as the trigger is not pulled at the time. - CONDITION THREE - is loaded magazine, but empty chamber. Thumb safety is always OFF. To shoot pistol slide must first be racked to chamber a cartridge, then pull trigger. What do you think is the best way to carry?
    Didn't know you could carry in condition two????
    "A fanatic is one who sticks to his guns whether they're loaded or not"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imchud View Post
    Didn't know you could carry in condition two????
    Only if you clench.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    Condition One in a quality holster.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

When I carry mine its in condition 2. I just feel a little safer that way, just as easy to use your thumb to cock the hammer as it is to flip the safety.......well almost !

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ron54 View Post
    When I carry mine its in condition 2. I just feel a little safer that way, just as easy to use your thumb to cock the hammer as it is to flip the safety.......well almost !
    If you're comfortable with the extra time involved in making the pistol ready-to-shoot, that's just fine.
    Regardless of what we do or say, your level of comfort is your level of comfort... carry it accordingly, carry it always and carry it in good health :)
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links