Melonite on my xd40

Melonite on my xd40

This is a discussion on Melonite on my xd40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey ya'll Back when I was seeking advise as to which pistol to purchase, someone stated that "if you treat you gun like your lawn ...

Thread: Melonite on my xd40

Melonite on my xd40

Hey ya'll

Back when I was seeking advise as to which pistol to purchase, someone stated that "if you treat you gun like your lawn mower, get a glock..."

Well I ended up getting an XD instead. It was only then did I, upon suggestion from another member, look into XDtalk.com.

I read alot about rust and the finis on the XD's.

Well it looks like I bought mine at the right time because as of May of this year all XD's are finished in Melonite, which was used in the past exclusively on the XD.45's.

Was the Lawnmower reference made because of the finish on the weapon, or are there still other reasons?

I really like my John Deere.

MikeV

Probably a reference to the finish..

That said, I have an XD-9 that has the old finish and I have never seen a speck or rust on it..
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Lead Moderator
    XD's do have a rep for rusting. However Glocks have a proven track record of reliability and performance. Time will tell on the longevity of the XD series.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

And by the way, here is another thread just started here about a guy seeing rust on his Glock!

So don't think buying a Glock instead of an XD means you won't ever have issues with rust. I think it has a lot more to do with how well you take care of your gun and under what conditions it is usually worn and handled.

Heh, just saw the "time will tell" comment above. I hear that alot from Glock owners. I guess they won't believe XDs are solid for another 10 or 15 years, eh?

To each his own!
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Weeelll....it did die out, the first time! My only "con" to the XD (aside from the "safety fixtures") is the lack of parts, currently. It is a nice feeling to be able to rebuild your weapon, if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Weeelll....it did die out, the first time! My only "con" to the XD (aside from the "safety fixtures") is the lack of parts, currently. It is a nice feeling to be able to rebuild your weapon, if needed.
    What other weapons can you really do that with?
    Off the top of my head I can think of 3 or 4
    Glocks - don't know for sure but seems like you do a complete build if you had a frame.
    AR-15
    1911's
    Maybe Kel Tec. last I saw they will sell you just about every thing but the slide, barrel and frame.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    My riding mower (Snapper) is about 15 years old and because it has alway been garage kept still looks near new. My XD45 will look as good in 15 years but I don't keep it in the garage.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman View Post
    My riding mower (Snapper) is about 15 years old and because it has alway been garage kept still looks near new. My XD45 will look as good in 15 years but I don't keep it in the garage.
    +1 on that, it's called cleaning and oiling and not storing it in a moisture rich area. That and just taking basic care of your firearm.

The only firearms I've ever had finsih issues with were by Para's the slides would hold up ok, but the parkerizing on the lowers would turn kinda dingy, and as far as the Para Kote goes....I wasn't that impressed.

The one good thing about stainless steel is that all you really need to do is get it sandblasted.

Sponsored Links