Do Gun Reviewers Do Good, Bad or Awful Work? - Page 2

Do Gun Reviewers Do Good, Bad or Awful Work?

This is a discussion on Do Gun Reviewers Do Good, Bad or Awful Work? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Ghost Tracker", you don't like Zombies? Isn't that a conflict of interest for you? As a card carrying member of the Zombie International Tribunal,(Zits). I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Do Gun Reviewers Do Good, Bad or Awful Work?

Distinguished Member
    "Ghost Tracker", you don't like Zombies? Isn't that a conflict of interest for you? As a card carrying member of the Zombie International Tribunal,(Zits). I must take offense at that. Some of my best friends are Zombies, and they are tax paying Americans. Never mind they all voted for Obama. Zombies are great gun writers too! They have been shot with all kinds of weapons, and they know which ones are most effective. Please give them all the respect they deserve. Zombies forever!

I pay no attention to professional reviews. That goes for ANY product. That's why I like sites like this. I get the feel for what the "man on the ground" thinks. I am only interested in the opinions of regular, every day consumers like me.

Edit - I take that back. I respect MAC's opinion. He's not really what I consider professional though. I think he buys all his own stuff.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    I've caught flak for my latest video, the Glock 21 Gen 4 review. While it wasn't negative, it wasn't what I would call positive. I don't see much of a point in several of the "upgrades". I call the user replaceable back straps "gimmicks" for example... which set a few hardcore Glock guys over the edge.
    I don't know. I found that swapping backstraps made quite a difference in how well a G22 fit my hand. I guess it's a gimmick that works--for some.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Edit - I take that back. I respect MAC's opinion. He's not really what I consider professional though. I think he buys all his own stuff.
    I'll take that as a complement.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't know. I found that swapping backstraps made quite a difference in how well a G22 fit my hand. I guess it's a gimmick that works--for some.
    The G22 is a smaller frame handgun than the G21. I wish the G21 felt like a G22.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    You do good reviews MAC, as does Hickok. You guys keep it relatively short, give the particulars of the gun, and then just shoot it. That's the type of review that helps me.

The problems I see most with reviewers - whether Youtubers or more mainstream reviewers - is the need to hear themselves talk.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Awful work in my opinion. Gun magazine reviews are RARELY honest.

YouTuber's don't get paid by the manufacturers and they don't sell ads (typically). YouTubers get paid for views by Google. Google places all the ads and the advertisers don't even know what channels their ads will run on, nor do they care what your opinion is about a gun you're reviewing.
    Hmmm...sounds like a business opportunity! Let's go get rich on the internet!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I pay no attention to professional reviews. That goes for ANY product. That's why I like sites like this. I get the feel for what the "man on the ground" thinks. I am only interested in the opinions of regular, every day consumers like me.

Completely agree. If I see a review in a magazine, I'll read it but won't really put much stock into it. I much rather join sites like this and see what end users really have to say about the products.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'll take that as a complement.
    Lol, it was.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Reviews are at best poor guides to not only guns but most things.

Some will tell you the product is great and others will say don't waste the money.

Take this forum. You will see "reviews" from posters on which ammo is the only ammo to use, which gun is the ultimate, holsters, etc.

I point this out in several of my videos. Keep in mind even the best and most honest review is done typically with a sample set of (1). I could buy a Kimber Solo and fire 1000 rounds of every ammo I can find and have 100% reliability with my (1) pistol. A guy can go buy a Solo based on my review and have it malfunction with every brand of ammo they try.

Does this make the review in question bad or dishonest? No.

Things like reliability, accuracy and to some degree quality of construction are things that can vary from gun to gun or between different shooters (in the case of accuracy).

Reviews are a point of reference however I would not place too much stock in any one review... Mine included. Read or watch as many reviews and videos from owners of the gun or gear you're interested in. Aggregate the opinions of these reviews and decide for yourself if the item warrants purchasing or not.

I find reviews to be quite helpful. I've been saved from bad purchase in the past by them.
    OD* and CJM like this.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoo View Post
    Tell you what bugs me. A Beretta Nano weighs 20-ounces empty. Go ahead - put one on a scale and tell me not. I weighed three of them and they all weighed 20-ounces, button. So what?

The Beretta website says a Nano weighs 17.67 and so do ALL the "reviewers - this one for example". Frankly, the 2.33 ounce overage isn't a deal breaker when it comes to carry but it HAS become a deal breaker when it comes to my trust in reviewers.

Here's why - because I'd say none of 'em actually weighed a gun. And I doubt any of them actually measured one, either. If I can't trust them for honest weight at least as well as I trust my butcher, why in the world should I trust anything else they write? I have my doubts some reviewers even SHOOT the guns they discuss online. I call BS on a reviewer who cites a company specs without testing the weights and measures himself - or herself. Hello?

You know what - it takes more than a box of ammo and a webcam to be a journalist. A bunch of lightweight internet "reviewers" who can't find the time (or the scale and calipers) to test a handgun are nothing but posers on their best day. These are supposed to be the guys who tell us when manufacturers get it wrong - not me.

So, who do you trust?
    I completely agree with you. When they get stuff you can measure yourself wrong, especially simple stuff like weight, the rest of the review has about zero credibility.

The only gun reviews I take seriously are those in "Gun test", a publication which accepts zero advertising much like consumer reports. They frequently flunk or severely downgrade guns others give rave reviews. The publication isn't perfect, but I've not gone wrong buying a make/model they have given an "A" or "A-".

Rifle reviews frequently combine with ammunition and scopes. When the .17 Fireball first came out a reviewer claimed he could clean the bore with 4 patches. Yeah, right. It takes me 20 or 30 patches to clean a rifle. More with my .17 Remington. Seventeens are hard to clean up.

Read a review that tried to test a Savage LRPV in .22-250 that also apparently included an assignment to hype the then new IMR4007SSC powder. What a joke. There are much better powders for the .22-250 than that, especially with heavy for caliber bullets (it was a 1:9 twist). But they ended up loving the powder and the rifle. The rifle is indeed scary accurate, mine shot in the .2s when new, with the same bullet, but not with that powder.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

The magazine weight was not included

Indeed the Beretta and Genitron websites show the Beretta Nano weight as 17.67 ounces. If you are getting 20 ounces on your scale, Beretta must be weighing the gun without a magazine inserted. Usually magazines weigh about 3 ounces empty. I have noticed before that gun manufacturers will sometimes leave out magazine weight on their website gun specs.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Indeed the Beretta and Genitron websites show the Beretta Nano weight as 17.67 ounces. .. I have noticed before that gun manufacturers will sometimes leave out magazine weight on their website gun specs.
    +1

Which isn't exactly dishonest but neither Beretta nor, more important, a single reviewer I could find, makes a "no mag" spec. Again, when a manufacturer, inept reviewer or one of the makers shill reviewers bypasses fundamental little details like that I feel they're all lying to us. This is a large community and it deserves better service. And it happens ALL the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links