Do Gun Reviewers Do Good, Bad or Awful Work? - Page 3

Do Gun Reviewers Do Good, Bad or Awful Work?

This is a discussion on Do Gun Reviewers Do Good, Bad or Awful Work? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The two main youtube gun reviewers I follow are The Military Arms Channel, and Hickok45. I like to see the guns being shot, and talked ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Do Gun Reviewers Do Good, Bad or Awful Work?

CJM
    The two main youtube gun reviewers I follow are The Military Arms Channel, and Hickok45. I like to see the guns being shot, and talked about. Not just talked about.

I pay less credence to gun reviewers than I do to guys that are on a blog or home-brewed website reviewing guns. In fact, I may pay closer attention to the bloggers and independent guys simply because they tend to be more objective and more likely to paint an accurate picture. They aren't being taken care of by any manufacturers and they represent a good cross-section of the shooting sport as far as experience and knowledge goes. Whenever I'm researching a new firearm or piece of equipment, I do a web search and read every piece of information I can find on it. That is, videos, written reviews from users/owners, blogs, whatever. I also find customer reviews on websites that sell the particular gun or item. Then I take an average of all of the information and weigh it against itself before I start considering purchase. It's pretty time consuming, but it's a technique that hasn't failed me yet.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I used to work with a well known gun rag author. He admitted he never gave bad reviews, because it would be biting the hand that fed him. I have always taken gun rag reviews with a grain of salt, even before knowing this man. (and no, don't ask.......)
    DoctorBob likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

The thing with major gun reviewers is, more than one has admitted to not giving "bad" reviews. I've learned to read between the lines over the years to glean the important information from the gun reviews in the major publications.

One hint for finding flaws, and I forget who mentioned this in an interview years ago, but look for the practical information that was omitted. Gun reviews typically have certain elements, and when one of them is missing that's a red flag to spend extra time doing research on other independant reviews to fill in the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    ...One hint for finding flaws ... look for the practical information that was omitted.
    My old man always said, "An omission is worse than a lie." A there's the problem with these birds; seems like the ones who aren't actually nincompoops are probably worse than liars.

I too list Hickok45 as one of the few I trust.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    So this thread inspired me to do a little accuracy test in terms of manufacturers claims of weight.

I am working on a FNX 9mm review. I broke out the FNX and my trusty postal scale and here's what I came up with.

FNH advertises the empty weight of the FNX-9 to be 21.9oz. (Source: FNH USA)

FNX without magazine:

Weight: 1.58 lbs (25.28oz)

FNX with empty magazine:

Weight: 1.88lbs (30.08oz)

FNX with full magazine:

Weight: 2.08lbs (33.28oz)

There seems to be a discrepancy of 3.38oz between the advertised weight and the actual weight of my sample pistol.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoo View Post
    My old man always said, "An omission is worse than a lie." A there's the problem with these birds; seems like the ones who aren't actually nincompoops are probably worse than liars.

I too list Hickok45 as one of the few I trust.
    Which is worse? A nincompoop or a liar? I want to be the one that's the lesser of two evils.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    Which is worse? A nincompoop or a liar? I want to be the one that's the lesser of two evils.
    Awwww... I did say "probably" one or the other. That left room for the third possibility of a credible reporter.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoo View Post
    Awwww... I did say "probably" one or the other. That left room for the third possibility of a credible reporter.
    I was just razzing you.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    I was just razzing you.
    Hrumph.

So, the weight deviation of nearly 15% (and more) seems substantial enough for me to think, well, golly, our scales must need calibrating because gun manufacturers surely must be able to present something as simple as an honest weight. Perhaps they weigh them without magazine and grips in some cases?

Does anyone remember the magazine from the early 80's called Pistolero and Gun tests? They were some real no holds barred reviews of guns from back in the day. If I remember correctly, the primary tester / writer was a guy named Phil. I wish I still had those around somewhere now ...

If you send me a free gun.... I will find something nice to say about it.
    Crescentstar likes this.

I thought you guys were long time gun heads? Everybody knows that the only accurate reviews with lots of video are from FPS Russia. Sheesh, you'd think you gunnie types would have known this. Do I have to tell you everything?

Al Gore invented the Internet, and that's why I invented gun forums; to get to the meat and potato's of the facts
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links