Bond Arms Recoil Question

This is a discussion on Bond Arms Recoil Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To those of you with one of these fine looking derringers. I'm curious: 1. how you would compare the recoil to a j frame shooting ...

Thread: Bond Arms Recoil Question

To those of you with one of these fine looking derringers. I'm curious:

1. how you would compare the recoil to a j frame shooting 38 special. I have a 442 and lcr, and I know their range ammo recoil very well.
    1a. I'm mostly curious about 45lc, 410 (2.5 and 3"), and 38/357. But any and all info would be very useful.

2. What are your experiences/opinions with extended vs standard grips

Thanks.

Not sure I can answer your questions exactly, but here goes. I have a Bond Arms Snake Slayer IV. That is the Snake Slayer with the 4.25" barrel chambered for .45 Colt/.410 Shot gun. I also have the 3.50" 22LR barrel for it as well, and the driving holster. Compared to my friends .357 Mag, I would say the Bond Arms kicks less. I find it to be very manageable. It is my carry weapon and I keep it loaded with Federal, 2.50" 000 buck. It is also the favorite of all my hand guns, though I don't have near as many as some of the other members. (GSG 1911 .22LR, Browning Buckmark .22 LR, Sig Sauer Mosquito .22 LR, Sig Pro 9mm) Don't get me wrong, I love every one of these guns, but the Bond Arms is my favorite, and is such a beautifully made gun and so much fun to shoot. I HIGHLY recommend it. The one I have comes with the extended grips and I would think the extended grips would be the best choice.
    Donnie D

I have a friend has one in 38 spl IIRC,it's definitely a hand full,but from what I remember wasn't that bad
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

recoil is managed by the muzzle weight of the gun along with your grip. the problem I have with them is they shoot a large bullet out of a gun made for smaller ones; it is what it is a belly gun
    Last edited by barstoolguru; August 1st, 2012 at 11:43 AM.

I saw a you tube video on bond arms last night. They said the top barrel tends to print much higher than the bottom. This is due to the recoil of the bottom barrel being directed straight back and the top barrel having more leverage against the hand causing more muzzle flip sending the top round significantly higher. Never fired one but that makes sense.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

I own a Derringer chambered in 9mm, and I can tell you, it kicks like a freakin' mule. That isn't with +p's, either. Plain ol' 124 grain fmj's. Bottom line, they are small guns and will recoil accordingly. I can't imagine shooting one of these in a caliber that is even bigger than 9mm.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Hmmmm, Of all the replys, I'm the only one that owns one and has shot several hunderd rounds thru one. Maybe recoil doesn't bother me as much as some people. In fact, I like a bit of recoil. But, that's just me, and, opinions are like something else. Everybody has one. And this is the place to express them. Personally, I love the thing.

Donnie D

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieD View Post
    Hmmmm, Of all the replys, I'm the only one that owns one and has shot several hunderd rounds thru one. Maybe recoil doesn't bother me as much as some people. In fact, I like a bit of recoil. But, that's just me, and, opinions are like something else. Everybody has one. And this is the place to express them. Personally, I love the thing.

Donnie D
    Any comparison to 38 snubbies?
    And what are the ways you carry it? The bond arms leather holsters look really cool.

Never compared it to a .38 snubbie, but I'm planning on getting a Charter Arms Lavender Lady in .38 SP for my wife. I can compare then. For carry I use the Bond Arms Driving (cross draw) holster and also I have another holster sewn into a denem vest.

Donnie D

Maybe I'm late since this is somewhat old, but I have a Bond Snakeslyer IV.
    I've only shot .410 buckshot through it, and the recoil isn't too much,
    but the design flaw is the trigger guard.
    Notice how your second finger goes behind it?
    When fired, that trigger guard comes back and slams your second finger, ouch!
    If you get one, wear gloves at the range.
    Maybe I'm a wimp, so I let my friend shoot it. He fired one round and said, "That's enough".
    Beautiful gun, really solid, but I'm going to replace the barrel with the 9mm. or .22 magnum.
    I bought it as a bedroom gun, but have since gone to a Stoeger Coach gun. (still in .410).

Oh, my friend has a Ruger LCR in .38 special, and I consider it snappy but not painful.

Sponsored Links