Hey! Guys, I'm in love with the wrong 9mm.

This is a discussion on Hey! Guys, I'm in love with the wrong 9mm. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My favorite 9mm for carry is the Sig P239, a small, slim gun that conceals easily. It also has the external hammer that you want. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hey! Guys, I'm in love with the wrong 9mm.

Sig P239

My favorite 9mm for carry is the Sig P239, a small, slim gun that conceals easily. It also has the external hammer that you want. The gun is solid and well made - heavy enough to handle recoil easily (27.5 ounces empty), but rounded and compact. It holds 8+1 rounds and the extra magazine is small and easily concealed. The first shot is double action.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

2. Remove Ads

9mm's I've had, listed in order of preference....

CZ 2075 alloy Rami 9mm.....my daily carry....comfortable and VERY accurate....dimensions same as Glock 26, but slightly heavier....SOFT shooter....AWESOME handgun!..................WILL *ALWAYS* HAVE THIS GUN...IT AIN'T GOING NOWHERE!
    XDm 9 Compact 3.8....also VERY accurate...above average stock trigger better than Glock and MP line...easy carry.......GONE
    CZ Compact 75....see CZ info above....approx size of Glock 19....slightly heavy for all day carry....VERY accurate soft shooter?.........GONE
    S&W MP9c.....great all round gun....easy all day carry....accurate..........GONE
    Kahr PM9.....King of Pocket Carry!....accurate for a small 9...FANTASTIC all day carry...........GONE
    Kahr MK9.....Cadillac of the small 9's....very accurate....noticeably heavier than the PM, therefore not ideal for pocket carry....soft shooter.............GONE
    XD9sc......very accurate, FEELS heaviest of all 9's listed here.............................................. ................STILL HAVE THIS ONE
    Beretta PX4 Storm SUBcompact....decent feel....ZZZZZ, didn't excite me like I thought it would...not accurate with it....GONE
    KelTec PF9.....large recoil.....it's not a fun range gun....very concealable and very good all day carry.....GONE
    Kahr CW9.....nice gun, I just wasn't accurate with it....will fit some pockets, but definitely NOT jeans......GONE

if you later regret whatever first choice you make, well, it's not like having to get a divorce. sell what you bought and buy something else. i did a great deal of research, but not much shooting, before i chose the H&K P-7/PSP/9mm as my first gun. although it was the perfect gun on paper, i never did like shooting it, and finally bought a Sig P-229/.357SIG. later sold the H&K for more than i paid for it,

as to alternative choices for you: i own and like the Sig P-239/9mm, which previous posters have mentioned. if you can wait a while, the Sig P-224 is supposed to come out in a 9mm version. this gun should be about the same size as a Glock 26/27.

good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by M3thusalem View Post
    Hey Defensive Carry folks,

I got my CCW almost 3 months ago and have been researching carry guns ever since. Also picked up a nice Remington .22lr bolt action that's insanely fun, but that's another story.

Well thing is, I figured in the end I'd get my grubby hands on as many guns as I could. And this is where problems arise.
    I don't seem to like striker fired guns very much. Specifically anything "glocky". The M&Ps are alright, but I don't particularly care for the Glocks or XDs.

What I loved shooting though was a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact. Felt right, I shot much better with it, thought it was a great gun. Liked the looks of it too. As a matter of fact, I can't get that gun out of my head.

But it's just so darn big. I really don't want a Glock or XD, even though a Glock 19/26 seems to be the default/obvious choice. I feel like I will have buyer's remorse. On the other hand, I don't want to get the Beretta only to find out it's simply too chunky for my stature (5' 11", ~180 pounds, muscular).

Friends, what are some alternatives I could try? Seems there's the CZ P-01, the Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, and that's about it.

Thanks for lending me your expertise! I hope to join the ranks soon.
    I own a Beretta PX4 SC .40 cal. I love the gun but it is heavy IMHO. I only carry the PX4 in the cooler months with a hoodie or similar. In the (hot this year) summer I carry a Kahr CM9 or with swim trunks and t-shirt my great little 10oz. LCP. I am the same height and weight however not muscular anymore or really never was.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Nothing wrong with Beretta. But for me, it would be a SIG P250 2sum. Best of both worlds, and an awesome DA trigger.

A Desert Eagle .50 is big. A Beretta 92 is big-ish. A Beretta PX4 Storm Compact is not big. Size is relative. Adjust your thinking, get a good concealment holster and go with the one you've found you like. There's a reason why it's calling you.
    wmhawth and glockman10mm like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Ruger SR9c is a nice gun too. What's the magazine capacity were you looking for? Does it have to be 9mm? Five-Seven is a great gun, it has a 20 round mag but is not much better in the size dept. BUT you do get 20+1. My wife says no. Don't let yours boss you around.

When I carry a few of mine, I just wear baggier clothes. My age allows for it, so if you're a 28ish young'n like me, something to think about.

CJM
    Lots of good suggestions in this thread. I will echo the postings of others who recommended the SIG P239. If I wasn't able to conceal carry my SIG SP2022, I would likely have a P239 as a carry gun.

Another gun that really intrigues me that I don't believe has been mentioned yet is the Walther PPQ. It truly is what a striker fired trigger is supposed to be like. Pure striker fired trigger perfection in my book.

Yep. Love those Sigs. My 239 sans the IWB Don Hume leather that is usually around it.
    Attached Images
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Taurus pt 709 or the Bersa.
    Those are good inexpensive pistolsI have around 500 through each and they function flawlessly so far. The Bersa is in .380

What's the size difference between a mp9 shield, and the 239? How about if you add p7 ?

I wish they had a lighter p7 :( alum frame maybe really want one, but I wouldn't trade my mp9 for one for carry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    Taurus pt 709 or the Bersa.
    Those are good inexpensive pistolsI have around 500 through each and they function flawlessly so far. The Bersa is in .380
    Love the Bersa. I fell into Lake Superior with it and without cleaning it still fired flawlessly although I did switch out the ammo just to be safe. It's harder to get back into a boat than you think.
    glockman10mm and BurgerBoy like this.

I've been carrying a little over a year now and have been through a few guns. Settled on a Kahr CW9 for warmer weather EDC and a Bersa Thunder 9UC Pro for cooler weather EDC. Carried IWB at between 3:30 and 4:30. I am very pleased with my current EDCs now.

My wife bought me a Ruger SR9c for my birthday, and I have been really surprised by it. While it does use a "striker fire" mechanism nearly identical to Glock, it has an "Almost Single Action"" feel to it. Certainly better than most DA/SA pistols fired in SA. I feel that it compares very well to my Glocks while being more ergonomic and thinner. All in all, I think it's a great little gun for the money.

If you like the staple gun type feel, which some guys do--some don't, the Kahr compacts have about the "best" trigger you'll find. I have a CW9 that is REALLY smooth--too smooth in fact for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post
    Or, skip to the top of the heap and buy an H&K.
    +1 for H&K. I carry the P2000sk Heckler & Koch - USA in a Georgia Snap http://rgrizzleleather.com/mahoganygearsp1012.JPG when I carry OWB with my "shoot me first" vest or any jacket as a cover garment and in a High Noon Alter Ego Alter Ego when I need to wear a tucked in shirt. I love the p2000sk and carry it every day. Can't recommend it highly enough.
    GaJoe1950

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links