Hey! Guys, I'm in love with the wrong 9mm.

This is a discussion on Hey! Guys, I'm in love with the wrong 9mm. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Defensive Carry folks, I got my CCW almost 3 months ago and have been researching carry guns ever since. Also picked up a nice ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hey! Guys, I'm in love with the wrong 9mm.

Hey! Guys, I'm in love with the wrong 9mm.

Hey Defensive Carry folks,

I got my CCW almost 3 months ago and have been researching carry guns ever since. Also picked up a nice Remington .22lr bolt action that's insanely fun, but that's another story.

Well thing is, I figured in the end I'd get my grubby hands on as many guns as I could. And this is where problems arise.
    I don't seem to like striker fired guns very much. Specifically anything "glocky". The M&Ps are alright, but I don't particularly care for the Glocks or XDs.

What I loved shooting though was a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact. Felt right, I shot much better with it, thought it was a great gun. Liked the looks of it too. As a matter of fact, I can't get that gun out of my head.

But it's just so darn big. I really don't want a Glock or XD, even though a Glock 19/26 seems to be the default/obvious choice. I feel like I will have buyer's remorse. On the other hand, I don't want to get the Beretta only to find out it's simply too chunky for my stature (5' 11", ~180 pounds, muscular).

Friends, what are some alternatives I could try? Seems there's the CZ P-01, the Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, and that's about it.

Thanks for lending me your expertise! I hope to join the ranks soon.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Check out the CZ 2075 RAMI. It is smaller than the P-01, and shoots just as well.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member
    If you can find one, the M&P Shield is a great small 9mm.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    You mentioned you were OK with the M&Ps, you could take a look at the full size/shield/or 9c and see if you like any of them, they're all very good. I have yet to see anyone that has been disappointed by them.

Welcome to the forums!
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Check out the CZ 2075 RAMI. It is smaller than the P-01, and shoots just as well.
    That's a sexy looking gun. I'll try to get my hands on one!

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    If you can find one, the M&P Shield is a great small 9mm.
    I fired one already. Mentioned above that I thought the M&P's were "ok", at least felt better than the Glocks. Really though, I just don't seem to care too much for striker fire pistols.

If you are that new to guns, you will go through several until you have enough experience to make an imformed choice. And even then you may jump around and end up with several different ones.
    Just pick a reputable maker, and pick one you like, and get started in the learning process.
    kmagnuss, JerryMac and zacii like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M3thusalem View Post
    I fired one already. Mentioned above that I thought the M&P's were "ok", at least felt better than the Glocks. Really though, I just don't seem to care too much for striker fire pistols.
    When I first started looking at guns to carry, I couldn't stand polymer/striker fired guns. So I got the cz p-01, love the gun found out I don't love carrying it. Its a little hefty, pretty much a full size gun and since I carry appendix I soon learned that the beavertail and hammer were quite uncomfortable.

So I got the m&pc, which is much better. I just had to learn the hard way why so many people like these striker fired guns. I've always disliked glocks, but since I've shot some recently I can't deny how accurately I shot them, plus I think having a full grip helped. So now I've decided to get a Glock 19, something I NEVER would of thought I'd say just a few months ago.

Just saying in my short time carrying Ive jumped around a bit, don't be suprised if you do alittle yourself. Glockman is deff right.
    XDshooter likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I went through a ton of carry guns also. You may not be in love with or even like the Glocks, but I can tell you from experience, these guns have a very well-deserved reputation as a top-shelf carry gun. I was dead-set against Glocks, ever. After transitioning through about ten different guns of various sizes and styles, I came back to Glocks. I bit the bullet and decided to try one. I bought the Glock 23C AND LOVE IT! This gun is absolutely my favorite carry gun ever.

I've carried snubbies, 1911's of every size, a Bersa 380, an LCP, an FNP 40, full-size revolvers, Springfield XD's of every size, and even a Derringer. The Glock 23C is the perfect balance of magazine capacity, grip size, power, accuracy, and utter reliability. In my opinion, the Glock is the best gun I've ever owned and I'll never get rid of it. Ever.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

The Bersa 9UC is a sleeper. I bought one a year and a half ago and have shoot about 7000 rounds through it so far. It has a sweet trigger, fits your hand well, and is a great pistol. I have made it my EDC and trust it completely. Also easy to take down and clean. Got to Bersachat if you really want to find out about Bersa pistols. Read what the many satisfied owners say about them. You will be surprised and very happy with a Bersa.
    BurgerBoy and zonker1986 like this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I also carry a Bersa Thunder 9UC Pro and it is an excellent gun. Never had a failure of any kind with it.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

KSP
    Kahr cw9 or cm9 might be worth a look. Different the the glock/m&p/xd, and super slim.

Or, skip to the top of the heap and buy an H&K.

I carry a fullsize px4 and hides fine for me but I do wear loose fitting shirts if wearing more form fitting clothing I can see it being a little big. I would put another vote for the cz 2075 rami they have a version (cz 2075 rami bd) of it that has a decocker although I'm not sure how easy it is to get your hands on. I have never seen one in person and don't know how readily available they are but it is definately on my list of wants.

I agree, the PX4 C is a great gun! Have you checked out the PX4 subcompact? They are still maybe a little "thick" but shorter than the compact.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links