Snubbie or single-stack auto for deep concealment?

This is a discussion on Snubbie or single-stack auto for deep concealment? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've found that my M&P9c is difficult for me to conceal under my business casual wardrobe (thickness/bulging is the biggest issue for me, even in ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Snubbie or single-stack auto for deep concealment?

I've found that my M&P9c is difficult for me to conceal under my business casual wardrobe (thickness/bulging is the biggest issue for me, even in a tuckable iwb or belly band holster), so I'm looking seriously at a smaller weapon that will conceal more readily.

I'm leaning toward belly band carry, as i need to be absolutely discreet. I also commute carrying a messenger bag, so the gun will need to be either in the appendix or front cross draw carry position. I'm currently between the Ruger LCR and Kahr CW9... Any thoughts one way or the other, or any others I should consider?

Sent from my mobile device - please excuse any spelling/grammar errors

I vote snubby. Having said that, I've seen that the new polymer snubs are pretty close in weight to the alloy snubs and a little more expensive too. Have you looked at the Smith and Wesson 642 or 442? They may be marginally thicker (a few thousandths?) but they are all-metal and a proven gun for years and years worth of carry. I think that the polymer revolver is a neat idea, but they haven't been around long enough to prove that they can hang with long term carry/use. Kahr makes a fine gun, but if the chips are down, a snubby will fire from inside a pocket or jacket without fear of malfunction. Also, 38+P rounds are pretty stout, even from a short barrel. Just my $.02.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

I'm in the same boat as the OP, and I am waffling back and forth between a PPS (Walther) and a 642 S&W...
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Administrator
    I switched to snubby for this role a few years ago and have not looked back. The Kahr PM9 also does the trick.
    glockman10mm and bmcgilvray like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Snubby. I have a S&W 637 Airweight and it is great with my bellyband. Very light. Barely noticeable. Lighter is better in a bellyband. I carry it with gym shorts with no belt. Works perfect. Or in dress clothes when its necessary to completly tuck its perfect. Im not sure about the weight of the single stacks, but the Airweights are perfect with a bellyband.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Airweight j frame all the way.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

i have both the lcr and cw9,both great handguns but for your requirement i'd go with the lcr for it's light weight (13.50ozs)..carry a extra speed stip or speed loader and your set..

Cool

Model 60 and 158 gr. LSWCHP+p.

High Noon Public Secret holster and Eagel Secret Service grips.

Then again it's what I have and I'm old school.

Image.jpgImage 1.jpg
    click image to enlarge....
    Ransom likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I've carried revolvers, but don't like the bulge from the cylinder.

Also, I've had 3 revolvers lock up on me. I'll never trust another revolver.

Another vote for the j-frame. I carry mine either AIWB, or in a pocket holster.

On occasion it also hides very well in a SmartCarry.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I haven't tried a belly band but I recently got one of these Standard II Holster. I use it when I carry to church, super discreet and very comfortable. I was leery but I like it and it fits my airweight j frame and the Walther PPS9 equally well. Made a believer out of me. It won't replace my usual owb but sure works for when I want deeper concealment.

AIRWEIGHT J FRAME !!!! you will ask yourself why ya did not do this a long time ago....i know that is what i have been asking myself since i have made that my primary edc....still sometimes go with a springfield sc....but that is just cause i got a new cool custom holster for it, but mainly the airweight is my go to ..... on an EDC ....special circumstance might bring out the glock or a little more firepower, but for daily use.....have to vote for airweight.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Nothing wrong with a J-frame, but I shoot my PM9 much better. I shoot it faster, more accurately with faster more concealable reloads. The PPS is a great gun, a little bigger than a PM/CM9, but I would bet you probably would shoot it better than a wheel gun too.

Ruger LCR all the way.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

J-frame. Plenty of 'punch' in a small package, easily concealable in multiple locations.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links