Springfield's New Enhanced Micro Pistol (EMP)

This is a discussion on Springfield's New Enhanced Micro Pistol (EMP) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to this site and looking forward to contributing and adding to my knowledge base. My CCW license is a few weeks away and ...

Thread: Springfield's New Enhanced Micro Pistol (EMP)

Springfield's New Enhanced Micro Pistol (EMP)

I'm new to this site and looking forward to contributing and adding to my knowledge base. My CCW license is a few weeks away and I am looking for a high quality, light weight 1911 in 9mm. I already own a nice Kimber Pro CDP II .45 and an HK .45 USP but they both are just large and heavy enough that after a few weeks I'll probably begin to leave them at home.

Springfield is about to release a new redesigned 1911 called an Enhanced Micro Pistol. I believe the model number will be PI9209LP. I like the looks and apparent quality of the piece from Springfield.

Has anyone heard of this pistol? And does anyone know where to go to have a look at one?

I hear the retail will be around $1,100. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

The Springfield website lists the pistol at this address: http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...1911-emp.shtml if you would like to have a look at the gun.

I am no fan of the mini-1911. Heck, I don't even like Commander-size guns. Full size for me.

This gun does have my curiosity piqued, though. I want to see how it's going to turn out, and what the street price will be. For $1100, I'll be almost into a Yost or RRA gun, and they can keep their mini-gun.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

I agree with you about small 1911's primarily because of the small grip length. I have big hands and those small grips bite me every time. I also like the idea of a small gun in a relatively small caliber like a 9mm for easier handling.

The new Springfield grip looks like it might be just a little longer which could make it "just right."

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Hmmmm......looks very interesting. I am surprised they will be chambering it for the .45GAP. I didn't really think that cartridge was taking off the ground.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Lightweight 1911 in 9mm?

You said you were looking for a high quality, lightweight 1911 in 9mm caliber. Were you aware of the new Kimber Aegis pistol, with a 3 inch barrel and single stack magazine? It is new on the market:

Kimber Aegis 9mm

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Now that Kimber Aegis is a sweet looking pistol!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Yep the Kimber Aegis is a sharp looking weapon. After owning a Kimber Pro CDP II for almost two years I have to say that my experience with Kimber has not been without problems. I had numerous FTF, FTE, stove pipes, and other problems when the gun was "inexperienced." After 300-500 rounds and four new Kimber Tac Pro magazines I can say that the gun is functioning almost flawlessly now. I asked the Kimber Custom Shop to replace the bad magazines and to their credit they did replace the old magazines with two new Kimber Tac Pro mags although they shipped me 7 round mags instead of the 8 round mags I returned to them.

I've read so many posts by folks unhappy with Kimber and their custom shop that I'm a little squeamish about plunking down over $1,000 again. I may have gotten lucky with my Kimber Pro CDP II. I've heard great things about Springfield but haven't owned a Springfield yet.

Sorry for the deviation from the initial thread but my experience with Kimber has left me with a question mark if I buy another Kimber.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Hmmmm......looks very interesting. I am surprised they will be chambering it for the .45GAP. I didn't really think that cartridge was taking off the ground.
    The defender must have had serious problems, some were exposed by the gun writers. I wounder how they fixed the problems in this new pistol so it can handle .40s&w and .45 gap.

My understanding is that the new Springfield will only be available in 9mm. I think that makes some sense because unless the gun is engineered specifically to handle the .45's, .40's or 9mm's, proper functioning time after time is sometimes hard to predict.

Springfield's website says that the new Micro 1911 9mm has been engineered specifically to handle the 9mm only.

The EMP sure is pretty but for $1,100 on a gun that's supposed to be carried, it sure looks like there are a lot of sharp edges.
    For that much $ it should have a serious melt job.

Question

Good point. I don't know how smooth the edges are on the gun.

What about Para's Hawg 9? 12+1 rounds, 3" barrel at 24 oz.

http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=75

Jack

The Defender caught my attention when it was announced, and I have waited patiently to see what the final rendering would be.

According to SA's website, they specifically designed this weapon for the shorter recoiling rounds, 9mm, .40S&W, and .45GAP respectively.

While they only show the 9mm on their site at the moment, I would not be at all suprised if they make it in .40S&W. I just don't see the GAP going anywhere. If it does come out in .40, I may just have to look in to aquiring one. The 9mm just doesn't do it for me.

Links