Looking at a Kahr CW40

This is a discussion on Looking at a Kahr CW40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually pop into the LGS/pawn shop twice a week just to see what ends up on the shelves. For the last month or so, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looking at a Kahr CW40

Looking at a Kahr CW40

I usually pop into the LGS/pawn shop twice a week just to see what ends up on the shelves. For the last month or so, they've had a new Kahr CW40 there and it caught my eye. I've held it quite a few times it fits my hand perfectly (as comfortable fit as my Glock 31 and 32).

I've never fired a Kahr and don't even know anybody who has one. Unfortunately, I can't rent one to try out anywhere in my area either. I've heard Kahr's are pretty tight and finnicky.

Basically, I'm just looking for anybody who has owned this weapon (or brand) who could tell me some pro's and con's about it. I'm completely new to the world of Kahr and looking to step further out of my Glock and Beretta realm.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

You're going to hear from folks who swear by their Kahrs, and others who swear at them.

Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver!

Unless you like to risk drama, I'd suggest you stick with your Glocks. If you want smaller/lighter - consider a revolver.
    JerryMac likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Have a Kahr CW-40 for about 2 years now; so far I have only run about 400 rounds through it. I have had no problems with it and it does have the sweetest DAO trigger of any I have tried.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have one that I use as a back up daily. After the break in period it has had no problems. Customer service is great. I damaged the front sight after it left me and the motorcycle (don't ask). They fixed it with no charge and quick turn around. If you get it I recommend using lighter rounds. 165gr is what I use. It smarts my hand with 180gr. The pistol is light. It is far more accurate than it should be for a small pistol. I practice at longer ranges and was surprised.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    You're going to hear from folks who swear by their Kahrs, and others who swear at them.

Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver!

Unless you like to risk drama, I'd suggest you stick with your Glocks. If you want smaller/lighter - consider a revolver.
    I have a revolver that I'm very happy with. The reason for considering a Kahr isn't due to wanting something smaller or lighter (my Glocks size/weight is perfect for me and my build) but due to just wanting to try out something different instead of limiting myself to one brand.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I have a Kahr CW9 and it's been 100%. It is my EDC.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Don't have the CW40, but have a CW9 and CW45. Neither required any breakin period. Other than having to adjust the spring which holds the slide lock/takedown pin in on the 45 they both have been flawless.

They shoot well. Definately have a light shooting feel for the size/weight of the gun. Triggers are good for a DA pistol. They carry easy as well IWB.

Down side, they only come with one mag and now only a cardboard box. There are folks that have had some issues I am sure. But I can only speak from my personal experience which has been good.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I really appreciate the comments. I was originally interested in the CW45 but that one was sold less than 24 hours of it hitting the shelf. I don't have a problem going with the 40 though.

Can anybody comment on whether or not the Kahr CW40 is picky about ammo? I'm used to my Beretta and Glocks eating anything I feed them.

I have a K40 and a CW9. The CW9 gets carried a lot, especially when I'm at home and have heavier weapons usually available within a few steps, and as a result it gets shot a lot, too. Never a problem with either Kahr.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Based on the responses, so far, so good. LGS is asking $399 for it (new).

I love my Glocks, but I hate to limit myself to anything, not just with guns. I like to experience, practice with, and so on with different things. I'm all about broadening my horizons. Though this weapon may not become my EDC, I'd still like to try it out and learn it inside and out.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    Mine will NOT feed Critical defense. The feed ramp angle is very sharp, and the rubber insert in the round tends to hang up on the ramp, but this could just be MY gun. However it feeds everything else i throw at it.
    That's not a deal breaker for me as I'm not a fan of the CD rounds anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I have a revolver that I'm very happy with. The reason for considering a Kahr isn't due to wanting something smaller or lighter (my Glocks size/weight is perfect for me and my build) but due to just wanting to try out something different instead of limiting myself to one brand.
    That's fine - if you just want something different, then go for it.

Objectively, the only thing the Kahrs do better than the Glocks is to be smaller/thinner in size. The Glocks have a better warranty, more capacity, are more reliable, have a "better" trigger with a shorter reset, and have more firepower per ounce of weight.

Subjectively - some folks like the "feel" of the grip, the grip angle, and/or the trigger better with the Kahr.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have a PM9 and it is excellent. Very accurate and I had 1 FTF during my 150 break in and it has been fine since. I have shot a PM40 and it is not fun to shoot. Recoil and snappyness is pretty bad. All in all I think Kahr makes excellent reliable weapons.

Had a Kahr CW9 for a year. Traded it.

Pros - size. Carries well, you'll hardly know it's there. Feels good in the hand. Trigger is smooth. Mine fed everything you throw at it.

Cons - CW series only comes with one mag. Trigger, while smooth, is LONG and has a long reset. I feel that because of this I was never able to get a good, consistent grouping out of it, ever. Because of that I no longer trusted it and it had to go.

So what did I do? I now have two wonder nines. One is a Glock, one is a Bersa. I'd take either over the Kahr in retrospect. Both are military grade fighting pistols and will perform...with accuracy...anywhere you could possibly want it to without the need to ask "will my gun feed this ammo"?

And yes, I do rate my Bersa to be just as well built and reliable as any Glock. Take one apart, shoot it, and you'll see why.

Long story short, try the Kahr if you want. They are nice, but I honestly feel that you'll be taking a step backwards from the level that your Glock has set. The fit and finish and functionality is just better with a Glock.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links