What are your thoughts on the FN 57?

This is a discussion on What are your thoughts on the FN 57? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious to hear your thoughts specifically regarding CC of this weapon, but in general as well....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: What are your thoughts on the FN 57?

Curious to hear your thoughts specifically regarding CC of this weapon, but in general as well.
    "You are guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky

Actually, the round is made to not over penetrate. It is true that the military round is armor piercing, but the round is also designed to stay inside of a target. Additionally, it fragments and breaks up on hard targets. It is probably more likely to pass thru LESS interior walls than a 9mm round.

FN has video showing the round being fired into a cinder block, point blank. It goes in 1 side and thru the middle. It does no come out the other side.

I have owned a Five seven before, but do still have two PS90s

The only concern is that it is such a small, light round. However, many people use five sevens for self defense. I have no problems relying on my two ps90s, if I ever needed them.
    Last edited by shipwreck; August 2nd, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
    Zombie57 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Actually, the round is made to not over penetrate. It is true that the military round is armor piercing, but the round is also designed to stay insid of a target. Additionally, it fragments and breaks up on hard targets. It is probably more likely to pass thru LESS interior walls than a 9mm round.

FN has video showing the round being fired into a cinder block, point blank. It goes in 1 side and thru the middle. It does no come out the other side.

I have owned a Five seven before, but do still have two PS90s

The only concern is that it is such a small, ligh round. However, many people use five sevens for self defense. I have no problems relying on my two ps90s, if I ever needed them.
    agreed. The ammo available to a civilian is not armor piercing, 195 and 197 are designed to break up upon impact. I own one, I do not CC with it but it's nice to know that if a shtf situation arises and I need to, that I could easily carry over 1000 rounds in a couple of cargo pockets and have 90 rounds in loaded mags
    pilot101 likes this.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    Thomas Jefferson
    Third President of the United States

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    All I know is... I want one. It looks like too much fun.
    pilot101 likes this.

Price of gun is high

Ammo is difficult to find

I'd get one if these problems were fixed.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    For the life of me, I can't understand how people get so mixed up on the 5.7 ammo and it's capabilities. There are two rounds in use that exhibit similar characteristics of excellent barrier penetration coupled with low bodily penetration, ie; a energy dump, that causes lots of tissue damage. Both the 5.7 and 4.6 are used by certain agencies because they don't go through bodies. Coupled with their low recoil and excellent ballistics, the small rounds are easy to keep on target. This is a great benefit when the probability of having to shoot near innocent bystanders is high.

The FN guns are very high quality and fun to shoot. IMHO, the pistol may be too large to easily conceal, especially in warm weather. It's light weight is nice, but the size is a problem. It would be more suited to open carry or maybe CC by someone that wouldn't be hastled for an errant flash of a weapon. Depending on where you live, this can be a huge problem.. It may make a good off-duty weapon.

VIP Member
    There are seveal threads on this already. Check them out. I love the gun. I can carry it but I don't very often ( kinda large but light). I have not had a problem with finding the ammo yet. I am also able to reload it. But it is not an easy round to reload. It spits the brass all over so you will lose more than normal amounts of brass. I agree it is kinda of pricey but you get 3 mags with it. It would make a good home defense weapon since it has large cap mag and can shoot out a bit more than most handguns. Also has the rail for a light or lazer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post

Ammo is difficult to find
    Ammo can be gotten online for less than $20 a box... 20 rounds of 5.56 of decent quality is usually $10 per box. So, 50 rounds of 5.7x28 is actually cheaper than 5.56. And, its high quality ammo, not cheap steel cased stuff.

There are MANY places that sell 5.7 locally here in College Station... If ya just want to get it and can't wait. In stores, it does cost $2-$3 more per box, but Academy, Gander Mountain, Champion Firearms and Burdett and Sons all carry it here locally. Independance Firearms also carries it out near Brenham. So, that's 5 places that pop out in my mind that carries the ammo in little ol' College STation. It is NOT hard to find it locally, if you just can't wait for an internet order...

IN a larger city like Houston, its' bound to be everywhere. It's NOT sold at WalMart, admittedly, buts till...

VIP Member
    Ammo can be gotten online for less than $20 a box... 20 rounds of 5.56 of decent quality is usually $10 per box. So, 50 rounds of 5.7x28 is actually cheaper than 5.56. And, its high quality ammo, not cheap steel cased stuff.

There are MANY places that sell 5.7 locally here in College Station... If ya just want to get it and can't wait. In stores, it does cost $2-$3 more per box, but Academy, Gander Mountain, Champion Firearms and Burdett and Sons all carry it here locally. Independance Firearms also carries it out near Brenham. So, that's 5 places that pop out in my mind that carries the ammo in little ol' College STation. It is NOT hard to find it locally, if you just can't wait for an internet order...

IN a larger city like Houston, its' bound to be everywhere. It's NOT sold at WalMart, admittedly, buts till...
    yep!!!! don't not buy one because of the ammo. There is rumor that other companies will be making ammo very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    yep!!!! don't not buy one because of the ammo. There is rumor that other companies will be making ammo very soon.
    That rumor has gone on for years (I used to run the Fn Forum, and that is forever popping up)... It would be nice, but at this point, I wouldn't count on it...

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    It's no rumor AE will have it in their 2013 catalog

it's my favorite pistol to shoot...

yes, it's no 9mm at 11 bucks a box. the LE only ammo (198) that's close to me (an hour away) costs 28 bucks.... :(

supposedly this AE ammo will be just under 20 bucks. right now few places had them for about 20-23 bucks.

I hope next year, it will be within couple bucks of .45

but yeah, it's my favorite pistol that I own, and SO much fun to shoot. it's so awesome dumping a magazine to a head size target at 10 yards!

there are some 'exotic' ammo you can get that are awesome. it will penetrate a vest, but upon hitting flesh, they will tumble, break into pieces and create havoc inside the body.

I can buy 2 Smith and Wesson M&P's for the price of 1 Fn five seven and have money left over to buy ammo. Let's say one in .40 cal. the other in 357Sig

I can buy 40 cal. 500 rounds for $135. (I can buy this ammo anywhere)

or 500 rounds of 357 Sig for $155.

The FN five seven is interesting but it really has to come down in price.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Interesting to see another brand of 5.7 ammo after hearing about the "maybe", "possible", 'It's coming" for like 6 years now. Interesting...

If it's $20, though, I'll probably just stick with factory unless they make something besides target ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I can buy 2 Smith and Wesson M&P's for the price of 1 Fn five seven and have money left over to buy ammo. Let's say one in .40 cal. the other in 357Sig

I can buy 40 cal. 500 rounds for $135. (I can buy this ammo anywhere)

or 500 rounds of 357 Sig for $155.

The FN five seven is interesting but it really has to come down in price.
    you can buy 2 SW SD9s for the price of 1 M&P
    you can buy 2 M&P for the price of 1 H&K Pistol

I can buy 9mm 500 rounds for $105
    you can buy .45 500 rounds for around $200

it's all relative ya know. I do agree that it would be 10x better if it was cheaper though. lol

I will also say the Five seven is not a 1,000 pistol. 800 would be much nicer. 600-700 would be effin sweet.

I would be ok as long as ammo floats at 18-20 (I'll pay little premium for something diff) when it's close to 30 at my LGS for the SS198LF, i must say it hurts to buy, but I just love shooting the gun. it's a blast

Interesting to see another brand of 5.7 ammo after hearing about the "maybe", "possible", 'It's coming" for like 6 years now. Interesting...

If it's $20, though, I'll probably just stick with factory unless they make something besides target ammo.
    I know, we are all excited about it. there are some videos on YT from people shooting it. seems like a performer. it's little slow (1600 fps I think?) but for plinking, that's totally fine with me. it will still go a very good distance.

I honestly think they slowed it down because if it goes 100-200 more fps faster, it would penetrate IIIa vest. there is a video of one penetrating like 20 layers of one. it doens't need more to go through it. then you know how the media will turn it around and say AE ammo is making armor piercing bullets for the five seven pistol LOL

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links