New Gun Buyer Looking for Input.

This is a discussion on New Gun Buyer Looking for Input. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recommend a Gen 3 Glock 19 for your first gun....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New Gun Buyer Looking for Input.

I recommend a Gen 3 Glock 19 for your first gun.
    lowercase likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

2. Remove Ads

I guess it depends where your head is at. You can carry and conceal about anything if you want to. If you are serious about carrying and defense, then you may want to go with a medium sized auto. G19, S&W M&P, XDm, Kimber, etc. If you like tight fitting clothes or don't really want to deal with covering garments, think small - PM9, Solo, Jframe, etc for pocket or "Smart Carry". All that said - go rent some guns and shoot them. Autos and revolvers! But be thinking how and when will you be carrying. A lot of us on this forum carry all the time and dress around the gun. Some carry when they feel the need to (whenever THAT is). It's the thought process that needs to evolve. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

One thing I've noticed is some manufacturers have started selling models of their centerfire guns in Rim fire 22lr so if you can afford 2 guns you can shoot the 22lr cheaper and it has less recoil to practice basically with the same ergonomics of the pistol you carry.Also never fired before you may want to look at something in a 9mm ammo is usually cheaper and is easier to shoot than a 40 or 45
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    I say poppycock to most of the answers in a can posted above. Select a well known, well supported platform (mid or full size) and learn the gun inside and out. Learn to shoot it and shoot it well. Then worry about the icing on the cake. It'll make the journey a lot easier, not to mention carry life in general.

My suggestion would be 9mm, its cheaper and easier to shoot. Its also plenty effective. Other than that, go with a well known make, and you'll be just fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Head to your LGS and handle as many as you can, rent and shoot the ones you like. This will give you a starting point what you like, and dont like. You can then focus on the your likes and go from there.

6'1" and 200lb here. Hey.........your physique don't make the carry, you do. Mind, body, tools. Carry should change every aspect of your life including how you see yourself now and whatever limits you've already got in your head. There are formal schools, but they cost. I personally think experience is the best school to enroll in. All you have to do is unlock the doors, and keep an open mind. Limits are for the weak minded. Lesson #1. Dismiss anything you've heard thus far pertaining to any particular firearm. Lesson #2. Many who preach seldom follow. Lesson #3. Those whom practice what they preach are very comfortable in many ways. Lesson #4. Opinions are a dime a dozen. What matters to you the most? How much input do you require? C'est la vie.

I was gonna say what RamRod said...

Try out some guns and see what you like. Don't put too much emphasis on your size, as most anything can be concealed with the proper attire. I'm about your size (6'1" 185 lbs) and I used to carry a full-size Sig P220.
    C'est la vie. Pardon my French.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

cj
    I'll buck the trend. Do you tell a driver just getting a permit to sit in a bunch of cars and see what feels best? Or even take them all out for a spin? I highly recommend calling around your area to see if you can find a class that provides pistols...even if it's not something you'd consider. You'll get some good info, and gave a better idea of what should work how, get some likes and dislikes, and have a better idea to start working from there.

Oh, and take the instructors choice with a grain of salt as well...everyone has their favorites. The trick is to find YOUR favorite.

Springfield Armory XD 40 Sub-Compact! Well, you asked!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Most of us have gone through a bunch of guns, and an even bigger bunch of holsters. I'd recommend something in a 9mm or .40 S&W. If you want compact the Glock 26 or 27 would be a good choice. If you want more capacity, then the other pistols mentioned already are great choices. With guns you won't find a consensus opinion on what the best choice is. It would be really good for you to try them out first. At least take your time and hold a bunch of them. Consider a revolver as well. Very dependable and concealable.

There probably is no perfect gun. There are a whole bunch of really good guns. Do some research and decide what type of action in a pistol you would be comfortable with. The 1911 in either a full size or a compact version has a legendary reputation, but some people feel a little uncomfortable carry an exposed hammer cocked and locked, despite the fact that they are designed to be carried that way safely. Take your time and you'll make a good choice. It won't be long however until you're buying your second gun...and then your third. Once you start it's hard to quit.

Holsters and belts are a huge issue. I have a duffel bag full of holsters, but LOVE the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe for concealed carry. There are other holsters with similar designs that I'm sure work just as well.

Welcome to the shooting world!

warrumr:

There are a good two dozen decent alternatives out there that could make a reasonable first carry weapon.

Uncertain what your familiarity level is, with firearms.

Knowing zip about your preferences or how you're leaning with respect to basic function and features, I'd say that a decent revolver with 2-3in barrel would be a great place to start. It's simple, reliable, and in .357mag is plenty powerful to defend you. It's also small enough to conceal easily, assuming you make the right clothing and holster choices.

Generally speaking, I'd say: stick to a well-known brand, a reputation for dead-nuts reliability, and something that you'll be able to carry daily.

Realize, too, that you can always change at any time. Nothing about a given purchase requires you to stick with that purchase no matter what.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links