New Gun Buyer Looking for Input.

This is a discussion on New Gun Buyer Looking for Input. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; im looking to buy my first gun i have looked at the beretta 92 compact and i really like it but im lookin for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New Gun Buyer Looking for Input.

Post New Gun Buyer Looking for Input.

im looking to buy my first gun i have looked at the beretta 92 compact and i really like it but im lookin for a couple other ideas anyone know any good conceal weapons for my first gun. im not a big guy im 6'1" and weigh about 180 lbs. so can anyone help me out thanks alot

2. Remove Ads

I suggest going to a range that rents and try several to see what you shoot best. If you can't find a range that rents ask some of the other shooters if you can fire a few rounds from theirs.

I started with a Gen 4 G 19. Now, I have a G 36, and two 1911. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    It's really tough to advise someone on what weapon to purchase, especially their first. Some CCP'ers like a tiny almost unnoticeable gun. Others like myself would rather carry a "fighting" sized weapon that offers a larger caliber and more capacity with a full grip and longer sight radius.

Often when questions like yours come up the best advice is to go to a range that rents guns and try a bunch out. Having friends that are gun owners take you shooting is another excellent way to try out dIfferent makes and models.

A huge part of concealing a firearm is in the gear, (belt/holster), and clothes you wear.

Some firearms and holsters I carry regularly are GLOCK 23 in a Dale Fricke Archangel; I carry this combination more than any other due to it's light weight. Sig P229/Garrett Industries Slim AIWB. Colt Combat Elite 1911/Milt Sparks Summer Special II. Finally for deep concealment or as a BUG S&W 442 in a Galco pocket holster.

I would advise you to read here on DC forum and continue to ask questions. Plenty of members have decades of experience and training and are delighted to help with this. If I can answer any further questions, please don't hesitate.

Only advice I am gonna give here,,, through personal experience.... if you buy a $500 / or a $200 dollar gun,do not put in in a $15 dollar holster and wear it on a wal- mart belt...... I never knew what true comfort and conceal was about till i spent the money on a good holster and belt..... funny thing is, now i usually carry a 5 shot airwight in a pocket holster, cause it is so darn easy, and does what it is supposed to do.....
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

You probably won't follow this advice.....I sure didn't......that is to go to the range and spend a few hundred dollars renting and shooting a wide range of firearms and finding what caliber, action type, weight, size fits your needs. That's how I've ended up with a bunch of handguns (not all bad). Only time and experience will give you direction on which is the best firearm for YOU to carry. Most shooters seem to start out with 9mm pistols, then they tend to move up the caliber scale to larger, more powerful calibers. If you are set on buying your first handgun and hoping to make it your last, I guess I would have to go with a compact Glock pistol. The Glock 19 in 9mm is often recommended as one of the best all around pistols to own (check out HICKOK45's utube site.....he has an excellent video on the "best" Glock to own). It shoots n adequate defense round (9mm), is large enough to shoot easily and accurately....yet small and light enough to conceal for ccw holders. I don't own a Beretta, but I believe it is an all metal handgun.....you might find it too heavy for carry....at least as a new ccw citizen.
    First Sgt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by warrumr View Post
    im looking to buy my first gun i have looked at the beretta 92 compact and i really like it but im lookin for a couple other ideas anyone know any good conceal weapons for my first gun. im not a big guy im 6'1" and weigh about 180 lbs. so can anyone help me out thanks alot
    Welcome to the forum "warrumr".

Do you know anyone in your area who is a "gun" person? That can go to a range with you, maybe if you offer to pay for some ammo? Just an idea.
    joker1 and scgunlover1 like this.
    --Jason--

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Welcome! Some more information from yourself might be helpful, as well. Do you have a lot of experience handling and shooting firearms? If so, what calibers have you shot the most and are most accurate with? You will obviously get better with practice with your own gun, but if you are already comfortable shooting one particular caliber over another, that might be a good place to start. Also, as others have said, it would be good to shoot a few different ones before making a decision, but at the very least, try going to a gun store or gun show to handle several of them and see how they fit your hand.

The good news is that if you wind up getting a gun that you grow out of or don't like, you can usually sell it or trade it in for something you like better. The advice on a quality holster and belt is good, and that's one of the most important aspects of carrying: if you aren't comfortable and supported, you won't want to carry your weapon.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Go to the gun store and finger a lot of guns and see which one fits your hand well. Lot of people like Glock because they fire without thinking when you are in a stressful situation, a rep for be accurate and reliable. I have two... a Glock 23 and a 26. I mostly carry the g26 because of the size. I did a lot of research on you tube before I buy any gun, I like to see the likes and dislikes of other people before I make a decision. I am against the range thing because it is expensive and by the time you rent and buy ammo (theirs) you can almost buy a gun.

Bottom line is it’s a gun you buy them and you sell them; they come and go. In my life time I have been through some 60 guns and liked them all just some a little better than other

Welcome to the forum. I am 6' 195 lbs and when I started CC I thought I needed to get a small gun so I could conceal it so I bought a Kahr CM9. After carrying for a couple months I found out that a larger gun would conceal just as well so I sold the Kahr and I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c and an M&P 45c and can conceal either one in my White Hat Holsters Max Tuck wearing just shorts and a tank top. I was really thinking about a Glock for its reputation but after holding one it was like holding a 2x4. Smith has a good reputation with their M&P line and after holding the M&P it felt great so I went with American made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Get to a store and hold a lot of guns. The feel is a huge thing. I wanted a glock, then I held one. Thank goodness! Changed my mind quickly. Holding them getting a feel for the trigger pull, distance from back strap to trigger for your finger etc are important. Any gun can be concealed, if you try hard enough.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Go to the gun store and finger a lot of guns and see which one fits your hand well. Lot of people like Glock because they fire without thinking when you are in a stressful situation, a rep for be accurate and reliable. I have two... a Glock 23 and a 26. I mostly carry the g26 because of the size. I did a lot of research on you tube before I buy any gun, I like to see the likes and dislikes of other people before I make a decision. I am against the range thing because it is expensive and by the time you rent and buy ammo (theirs) you can almost buy a gun.

Bottom line is it’s a gun you buy them and you sell them; they come and go. In my life time I have been through some 60 guns and liked them all just some a little better than other
    The range that I go to rents guns for ten bucks and you can come out and switch between guns and calibers as many times as you want. You do have to use their ammo but it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. They rent Glocks, Sigs, Smith & Wessons, H & K's, Springfield Armory, Bersa, Ruger, Kimbers...a pretty good selection.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    You have gotten a lot of good advice. I'll echo what most of the others have said: find a friend that wouldn't mind you trying a couple of theirs or a gun shop that rents guns. See which fits your hand best, which points best for you naturally and then try those. test the ones that fit, points and the caliber that you decide on and go from their. Other than cost of ammo and renting it's a fun time to see what works best for you.
    SCGunLover1

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. Seems like I started with larger guns and the more I carry ( every day now) I like the smaller ones. I like to shoot the 92 and my 1911 at the range, I just don't like to carry them every day. I am really active so the larger guns can get in my way. If I was less active I would have my 1911 every day. The above suggestions are correct. Go handle some guns at the store. Put some notes together and go to a range that rents and rent and shoot some, see what you like. Make sure you know about the triggers and what kind of action you are looking for. double action, single action or both. do you want a single stack or double, safety or no safety, revolver or pistol ...... plastic or metal, steel or alloy lots of options. I guess that is why I had to get a larger safe. Have fun but stay safe.

Try whatever you can before you buy. My minimum defensive caliber is 9x19 (Luger). Size matters but capacity matters more. Most of today's service size pistols can be concealed with the right holster and a good belt. Reliability and ease of use are right up there with accuracy. The amount of money you spend on a gun doesn't necessarily mean it's a great gun (You can spend a lot on a fancy 1911 that will need some tuning or you can spend $600.00 or less on a GLOCK that runs right out of the box). You need a gun you can shoot accurately with. Keep in mind however good you do at the range will not likely translate into great marksmanship when you are under attack.

My recommendation is GLOCK, GLOCK 19 to be specific. 15+1 rounds of 9x19, reliable, concealable, durable, affordable, simple. If it's grip is too long go for the GLOCK 26. If you can get past the supposed grip problems you won't find a more dependable gun for the money.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Welcome to the forum "warrumr".

Do you know anyone in your area who is a "gun" person? That can go to a range with you, maybe if you offer to pay for some ammo? Just an idea.
    yea i never turn down a trip to the range when a friend pays for the ammo.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links