Guns and babies...

This is a discussion on Guns and babies... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have two baby boys who mean the world to me. Both are under the age of two, so they have to be carried most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Guns and babies...

Question Guns and babies...

I have two baby boys who mean the world to me. Both are under the age of two, so they have to be carried most places. This poses a problem because I have to carry one of them on the same hip as my gun. Are there any other carry options that might be easier? The dilemma is too that when carrying two kids, the prospect of actually drawing and firing is pretty impossible. Put one kid down, draw, and fire? No... I haven't worked out the mechanics of this yet. Any other women have this issue? Also, I know that I am being safe. I have an external thumb safety, and my holster covers the trigger guard entirely. My problem isn't that I don't know how to be safe, it's the reaction I get from other people (namely my parents). Everyone seems to think that I'm going to accidentally shoot one of my children. My parents tell me that I'm an irresponsible parents for having guns in the same house as my boys. How do I help people understand?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Stroller?
    One of those back/front pack things for kids?

Chances are your folks have their minds set, and will not be swayed. Don't waste your time trying to convince them of otherwise. A belly band, ankle rig, or some kind of purse carry may be the way to go.

Limatunes' Range Diary: Carrying a Gun and a Baby

Good place to start, Limatunes is a senior moderator here as well, so you may want to check out some of her other blogs/posts.

My wife has found them to be very informative.

Here's another decent starting point as well --> Cornered Cat - Table Of Contents

I applaud your decision to protect the most innocent people there are!!!

Good luck
    mprp and miller_man like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Hmmm... Makes it a bit more difficult when juggling two! 2 of my kids are very close in age and it was exhausting to carry both although I often did. I didn't carry a firearm in those days though. What about using a double stroller? Or a Joovy Sit n Stand depending on their ages - it's not as bulky as a double stroller. I know the stroller doesn't help for say the grocery store, but I used the Joovy most anywhere else once I decided to get them off my hips. Child slings and back/front carriers come to mind too - but I think it would still make getting to your weapon difficult, although it frees up the hands. They were always too time consuming for me anyway, was easier to grab the kids and go. What are their ages, I know you said both under 2 but are they twins or an infant and a one year old? I only ask because sometimes different ages & sizes makes how you juggle them a bit different.

My parents disagree with my choice of having guns in the home as do some of my friends. I won't engage in an argument and I try not to take it personally, even if the other person gets emotional or heated about it. I'll firmly but nicely say I choose to have a gun to protect my children as well as myself. I will say it's either in my holster with a full trigger guard or in my safe, that I am ALWAYS conscious of where it is and never careless. My parents and I have finally come to an informal don't ask/don't tell policy. They know I have one, I know they don't approve. Out of respect for their views I don't carry in their home, although they wouldn't see it if I did. I will leave it in a lockbox cabled to my front seat when at their house. I often open carry at home (rural area so even on my property no neighbors can see to freak out) but when my parents visit I will conceal it in my house. I know I don't have to, but it's just made things easier. I know they mean well with their concern and there are no gun people in my family (besides me) so I've just decided to take it off their radar.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Lish, my boys are 18 months and 6 months. They are one year and one week apart :)

:) my 2nd and 3rd are 13 months apart so pretty close to yours.

I'll preface it with I've never used a belly band...but my concern would be since it's only elastic covering the trigger, I don't know that I'd want a kid on each hip kicking around where my gun is without Kydex or similar covering. A thumb safety may make the difference there, I don't know. I think I may still worry about it getting knocked out completely.

You could double sling, putting one on each hip and freeing hands but it'd be a pain to reach around them to access a gun. Depending on the size gun you carry maybe a flashbang? Its at least in Kydex with a trigger cover, but again with little hands and feet around your middle I don't know that I would have done it when mine were that small. You'd still need them slinged or in a stroller to have hands free.

Lima does have GREAT info on her blogs and videos as does cornered cat.

I've gone to a Smartcarry for on-body carry or a Maxpedition Mongo super cool tactical diaper bag for off-body carry when with my daughters. They seem to find ways to expose my other modes of carry. On the plus side, when you're carrying a baby, nobody seems to notice anything else about you. People in stores can easily identify my daughters but my girls have made me a grey man in more ways than one.

Glock 27
    CTAC Holster

Quote Originally Posted by LaDanah26 View Post
    I have two baby boys who mean the world to me. Both are under the age of two, so they have to be carried most places. This poses a problem because I have to carry one of them on the same hip as my gun. Are there any other carry options that might be easier?
    You could double up on the baby "slings," with one kid in back and one in front of you. Such as, the pic shown here in this other thread: click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That's a tough situation. Hard to draw when hands are full, especially when they can't be emptied fast. I've never carried and carried 2 kids at once, carried and wrestled 3 before. Hopefully you'll come up with a good solution. As far as safe gun storage and holstering I think you are doing fine. Keep the trigger protected or the gun locked away and kids won't activate the trigger. As far as those that think you are gonna shoot your kids, well they are idiots. I know some are family and I don't mean to insult anyone. Like others have said you may not change their minds but don't give up the fight. Besides if you can't fight with family who can you fight with?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    My daughter is 21 months now, and my wife is pregnant, so I will soon be in the same sittuation. I am big enough that I have room to hold them above the gun on the strong side still. It has never been an issue holding my daughter on either side. That being said, I have evaluated the dificulties that carrying children create for defensive sittuations. Visualizing how I would react while holding my daughter, even just the one kid, I had a hard time envisioning many sittuations that would call for drawing and shooting while holding her, period. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there are no such scenarios, or that you shouldn't carry while holding your kids. I am just trying to point out that most of the things I envisioned, involved me running away, shielding my child with my body, not holding them, trying to get a good stance and solid hold, drawing while they are squirming and then drawing attention to myself, potentially drawing fire towards my child.

There are times where that may be your only option, but quickdraw with two kids is probably not the priority. You could maybe switch to an ankle rig, or smartcarry as some have suggested. The ankle is not prefered because it is slow to access, but with a kid in each hand, anything will be slow to access. The kids will come first, probably getting them to safety/cover/concealment will also mean that if you still need to draw, you will have time to do so from a slower access concealment. Not saying anyone is doing anything wrong, just throwing some ideas out there.

As to the parents/family issue, I usually just ask people if they watch the news at all. Any time, any place. Even "good neighborhoods" because rich people with good stuff attract thieves. Ask if they want to see their grandkids in the news because you listened to them and were not able to protect them or yourself.
    Walk softly ...

The dilemma is too that when carrying two kids, the prospect of actually drawing and firing is pretty impossible. Put one kid down, draw, and fire? No... I haven't worked out the mechanics of this yet.
    Seems like you may need to work this out first. There may be a conflict of mission: will you be a carrier, or a fighter? If you decide, as a carrier, there is no way for you to draw and fire, then you need someone with you to be the fighter.

I make sure I keep my drawing hand always free. In order to do this, I hold my kids hands, carry my purse or anything on my left side so that my right hand is free in case I need to draw. My usual carry method is appendix carry but i can only do that in my smaller gun (I have 3 guns in my ccw edc depending on the outfits I wear). Secondary is at 4 o'clock.
    Mrs. A ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMrsAuthority?feature=mhee
    Targeted for women who have a "CCW","CPL", "CHL" Permit. I am a strong advocate on carrying on the body rather than in your purse. It can be done.
    My CCW guns (Ruger LCR, Kahr PM9 & Kahr P380)

Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    The dilemma is too that when carrying two kids, the prospect of actually drawing and firing is pretty impossible. Put one kid down, draw, and fire? No... I haven't worked out the mechanics of this yet.
    Seems like you may need to work this out first. There may be a conflict of mission: will you be a carrier, or a fighter? If you decide, as a carrier, there is no way for you to draw and fire, then you need someone with you to be the fighter.
    Yup. The solution's going to entail retaining the ability to respond in case of assault. Can't be doing that wrapped up with so much that takes one's attention from the security role, or that takes one's ability away to the point the security role can't be accomplished. That restricts the solution to a few options.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links