Suggestions for a 45 carry

This is a discussion on Suggestions for a 45 carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JD What part of Iowa you in? You can always order one elsewhere and have it shipped to a receiving FFL? If ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Suggestions for a 45 carry

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What part of Iowa you in?

You can always order one elsewhere and have it shipped to a receiving FFL?

If you're not opposed to buying used, you can find some HK USP Compacts in .45 floating around.

As mentioned, Glock 21 in the 4" of greater.

Kahr P45? Barrel is slightly under 4" but a nice package.

Maybe a Certified Pre-Owned Sig P220.
    I'm in the Des Moines area.
    I want to keep it @ a 4" min barrel due to requirements for deer hunting in IA.
    It's main job will be for CC, but I also want to carry it during the gun season as a side arm (incase of, hopefully unnecessary, finishing shots).

2. Remove Ads

My 45's consist of a G 36, Colt Commander LWT XSE, and a Kimber tactical II. Since the no safety eliminates the 1911's and the barrel length eliminates the G 36 I'm not sure what to suggest.

I really really like the G 36. Is to carry and shoots very well. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by revup View Post
    I'm in the Des Moines area.
    I want to keep it @ a 4" min barrel due to requirements for deer hunting in IA.
    It's main job will be for CC, but I also want to carry it during the gun season as a side arm (incase of, hopefully unnecessary, finishing shots).

Gotch'a

I'm assuming you've checked out Sportsman's Warehouse in Ankeny? They typically have a decent selection but their prices are high (which big box store isn't) you might also try Jacobsons Cun Center in Story City, I haven't been there but they supposedly have a pretty good stock.

Are you sure the requirement for a 4" barrel, isn't unless you're actually hunting with the hand gun? Seems like if you're hunting with a rifle, and just need a hand gun for a finishing shot, they wouldn't have such a rule? Might be worth double checking.

I'd go with the XDs if this is the case. The ultimate in a good quality, concealable .45. The safeties it has are a grip and trigger safety that are unobtrusive.
    stancehold likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'd retract the safety statement and use a 1911. Just sayin...
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Are you sure the requirement for a 4" barrel, isn't unless you're actually hunting with the hand gun? Seems like if you're hunting with a rifle, and just need a hand gun for a finishing shot, they wouldn't have such a rule? Might be worth double checking.

I'd go with the XDs if this is the case. The ultimate in a good quality, concealable .45. The safeties it has are a grip and trigger safety that are unobtrusive.

When it comes to the bush cops, it's better to err on the side of caution.

Gotch'a

I'm assuming you've checked out Sportsman's Warehouse in Ankeny? They typically have a decent selection but their prices are high (which big box store isn't) you might also try Jacobsons Cun Center in Story City, I haven't been there but they supposedly have a pretty good stock.
    I haven't had a chance to check out Sportsman's yet, but I'll be out there this evening.
    My local FFL guy couldn't find them from any of his distributors, and I think there is only one on gunbroker.
    I found a few online, but it's gonna run me $60+ more than what my FFL could get em for.
    Maybe I'll find one tonight, or decide on a different gun for carry.......and get a whole new gun for a hunting side arm.

When it comes to the bush cops, it's better to err on the side of caution.
    X2

The hunting regs dont get into too much detail, other then below.

LEGAL METHOD OF TAKE
    Handguns: Center-fire handguns .357 caliber
    or larger, shooting straight wall ammunition with
    an expanding-type bullet. Minimum barrel length
    for all handguns is 4 inches. No shoulder stock or
    long barrel modifications are allowed.
    Only the following center-fire cartridges may
    be used: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375
    Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Powermag,
    10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41 Action
    Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Remington Magnum,
    .44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445 Super Mag,
    .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag, .45 Winchester
    Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .451 Detonics, .454
    Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460 Rowland, .460 S&W
    Mag, .475 Widley Magnum, .475 Linebaugh, .480
    Ruger, .50 Action Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50
    Beowulf and .500 S&W Mag.
    Hunters age 16 and under may not use any
    handguns. Hunters ages 17 through 20 must be accompanied
    by a parent, guardian or spouse who is
    at least 21 years old to use a handgun.

It's open to interpritation on DNR's definition of "LEGAL METHOD OF TAKE"

JD
    Administrator
    I haven't had a chance to check out Sportsman's yet, but I'll be out there this evening.
    My local FFL guy couldn't find them from any of his distributors, and I think there is only one on gunbroker.
    I found a few online, but it's gonna run me $60+ more than what my FFL could get em for.
    Maybe I'll find one tonight, or decide on a different gun for carry.......and get a whole new gun for a hunting side arm.

Something like THIS in a 4" has always caught my eye.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I think trying to do both is a mistake. I'd recommend you get what you handle, conceal, and shoot well for concealed carry. A Glock 30SF, Glock 36, or one of the new XD models, CW45 Kahr (I don't like the Khar triggers but that's just me). That will be how it's used all but a few days a year. A nice 4" DA revolver in .357 Magnum, .45 Colt, .41 Magnum, or .44 Magnum works nicely for the hunting assignment.

Compromising the carry gun to accomodate two or three days a year hunting seems like the tail wagging the dog to me.

Fitch
    GeorgiaDawg and WHEC724 like this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    X2

The hunting regs dont get into too much detail, other then below.

LEGAL METHOD OF TAKE
    Handguns: Center-fire handguns .357 caliber
    or larger, shooting straight wall ammunition with
    an expanding-type bullet. Minimum barrel length
    for all handguns is 4 inches. No shoulder stock or
    long barrel modifications are allowed.
    Only the following center-fire cartridges may
    be used: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375
    Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Powermag,
    10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41 Action
    Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Remington Magnum,
    .44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445 Super Mag,
    .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag, .45 Winchester
    Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .451 Detonics, .454
    Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460 Rowland, .460 S&W
    Mag, .475 Widley Magnum, .475 Linebaugh, .480
    Ruger, .50 Action Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50
    Beowulf and .500 S&W Mag.
    Hunters age 16 and under may not use any
    handguns. Hunters ages 17 through 20 must be accompanied
    by a parent, guardian or spouse who is
    at least 21 years old to use a handgun.

It's open to interpritation on DNR's definition of "LEGAL METHOD OF TAKE"
    I don't see any opening at all. 4" min barrel isn't ambigious. The calibers are specifically listed.

Choice of semi-auto or revolver is left up to hunter.

Nothing ambigious there at all. You have a shorter than 4" barrel gun that you kill an animal with and it's illegal. Period.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I'm 5'10" and 210, and have had no problems concealing my full size m&p .45 or a ruger P345. I will do whatever it takes to carry one of my 45's. I never want to worry about bullet expansion.
    Proud IDPA Member

"Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid." ― John Wayne

"Necessity of action takes away the fear of the act, and makes bold resolution the favorite of fortune." -Francis Quarles

How about Ruger, an AMERICAN company that's reliable and stands behind the product. They have the new SR1911 .45 model or if money is a factor, consider a used P97. Here is a review: Ruger's New .45 ACP Polymer Auto Pistol - 5,000-Round Gun test

His summary: It is also, I will tell you right up front, the most durably accurate service-grade .45 auto I've ever reviewed, delivering average 25-yard full-magazine groups under 2.5 inches at 25 yards, even after 5000 rounds of military-style hardball ammunition. It is a damned fine sideidearm.

I remember the older P90 was capable of 1" 25yard groupings right out of the box, so with the right ammo, I'm sure you can make this thing shoot all x rings. How many OTHER pistols will be able to do this without jamming or requiring expensive gunsmith work on the triggers, fit/finish? You can seriously spend upwards of $15K for a 1911A1 customized model, and get beat on the target shooting lines with an old beater with a Colt NM barrel & bushing fitted in it. Seen it done few times. 200grain SWC bullet, 4.2grains bullseye, CCI primer at maximum OAL is usually a real fine shooting round.

If cannot find a P97, the newest thing is P345 Ruger. Here is their review for it: http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/ss/...ew-profile.htm
    Last edited by Gunsmoke16; August 3rd, 2012 at 05:00 PM.

Something like THIS in a 4" has always caught my eye.
    They are nice. I opted for the 5.5 in. for a woods gun. The stock wood grips tend to be hard on the hands with full loads. Rubber replacements from Hogue or Pachmayr make it much nicer to shoot.

As has been stated, don't try to skirt the laws regarding the 4" length requirement. Some states like WI count the cylinder as barrel length on revolvers, you would need to clarify that with IA. They measure from the tip of the barrel to the back of the bullet case if I recall in WI.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I've had 4 different 45s and the only one I still have is a Glock 36. It is not one of my regular carry guns as I shoot my XD40sc much better, but it is a very good shooting compact 45. Perhaps one day I'll develop the same accuracy with it as my 40.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links