Suggestions for a 45 carry

This is a discussion on Suggestions for a 45 carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice choice. Give a review when you can....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Suggestions for a 45 carry

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Nice choice.
    Give a review when you can.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revup View Post
    Went to Sportsmans Wearhouse last night and found this little beauty ;)
    Cant wait to hit the range with her!

Thanks for letting us know what you chose. I don't have any M&Ps at the moment, but I've handled and fired them fairly often. Excellent choice.

Let us know how you like it after you've had a chance to make friends with it.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

The trigger will smooth ALOT, over the first 100 rounds fired.

You chose well.

You ALSO can be proud that you put an American to work with your choice
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I think Pogo2 nailed it with the Glock. I can't think of anything that matches your criteria more perfectly and with a weapon that has a reputation 2nd to none. I still find even single stack Glocks to be a bit thick compared to a Kahr but if you're a medium to larger built person that won't be as big a deal for you. If you want another option that's arguably just as good or better, you can look at two Kahrs. The first is the Kahr TP45:

Kahr CW40 3.5" SS, Poly Frame $351.00 SHIPS FREE

The second is the Kahr CW45: This may be an unusual choice but it may be the very best CCW type 45 on the market. Crazy I know but think about it. Capacity is 7 + 1, it's Ultra thin at under 1" which makes it carry and conceal just a bit better than either a single stack sig or Glock which are fat by comparison. It's priced at $442 delivered so you can still get your holster and some ammo and meet your dollar goal.

Kahr CW40 3.5" SS, Poly Frame $351.00 SHIPS FREE

The CW45 is only $355 shipped from Buds. I own a lot of Kahrs, they have a LONG double action trigger but it's the smoothest, best DAO I've ever shot and no safety. It's barrel is 3.62 so technically doesn't meet your specs.

The only thing I'd be concerned about the Kahrs is the felt recoil. They're light weapons which makes them a true joy to carry all day but I think they'd be very stout to shoot.

You'll hear a lot about reliability; I own a bunch and they've been great. The only other negative to a Kahr I can think of is the molded in checkering. I found it a bit aggressive; to solve that I cut a bicyle inner tube and put a sleeve on it. I love how that feels. I use a Hogue Handall Jr. on my P9 and that's great and I've even used the "A" decal grip and love how it feels but those are $24 and look different.

If you're a big guy I'd go Glock but if you're medium to smaller either in build or hands, I'd seriously consider the Kahr. If you get night sights on them you'd still be at or close to your price range.

Good Luck
    Gideon

PS, it's outside your dollar limit but the Kahr P45 with blackened stainless slide and night sights would be the ultimate CCW 45 if you can handle the recoil. It's pure beauty and the subtle differences between their higher end P versions versus the CW versions are worth the cost in my opinion. They do offer all steel guns in the "K" series but not in 45. I've begged for them to offer a K45, I'd buy one of those in a hearbeat. I believe one day you'll see one. It would be heavy but it would be a great shooter!!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Guess I should have taken the time to read all the posts. Saw where you made the buy! congrats on the new gun. Perhaps if someone else is searching for a .45 they'll see this thread, lots of good ideas on .45s

I love the gun you bought...too thick for my smallish hands. I envy you guys with large mits!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links