Defensive Carry banner

Masterpiece Arms MPA380 (MPA380b-II) 380 pistol

10K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  1gunsnowbird 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm not much for doing reviews, but I know when I went looking for anything on this model, there just was not much out there. So this is just my little bit to add to the limited first hand reviews out there.

I knew I wanted an all metal, or as close to an all metal, pocket pistol. It had to be small enough to slide into a pocket and fit comfortably without having to talk myself into believing it. And, it had to be DA, or at least the first pull had to be DA. So, I did the whole Guardian, Seecamp, Magnum Research, etc. search for reviews and first hand encounters. I was able to hold a couple of the examples I was looking at, but did not shoot any. I was ready on numerous occasions to complete the search process by deciding on a Seecamp 32acp, but the purchase just never happened. I kept focusing on the 32acp because I just didn't want to move to a bigger physical size (e.g, Guardian 32 vs the Gaurdian 380)

I was intrigued by the Masterpiece Arms MP380 because it had the size of the Seecamp and Guardian 32 but with a 380 caliber. The Seecamp 380 is the same size as their 32, but the cost was twice that of the Masterpiece Arms 380. I finally made the decision and did purchase the MPA 380. It is machined and built in the US by the company more known for its tactical looking arms. I have the latest version, which is labeled MPA380B-II. The modifications to the initial design included a beaver tail, a ported barrel, and a finger extension on the magazine.

The few reviews I read of the gun were all from the original version, minus the recent design enhancements. There were a few complaints of harsh recoil. The ports must have changed that because there is definitely not a recoil issue now, at least not to me. I also own an LCR 38sp and the recoil on the MPA380 is less than that with my LCR. I always read about the heavy triggers on these all metal small 32/380's. As a comparison to my Ruger LCR, MPA380 trigger feels very similar. It feels smooth, not overly heavy, and a natural break point at the end of a not too long trigger pull. Suffice to say I have no issues with the trigger. If you like the LCR feel, I cannot imagine not liking the MPA380B-II trigger feel.

While this gun has no sights, only a channel on top, it most certainly can hit center of mass pretty consistently at 7 yards. In the target pic I attached, the shots within tha 4 inch cluster close to the center were at 7 yards. The hits further out were at 30'. These shots represent the first 20 or so shots I took with the gun. I took the gun out of the box, loaded the magazine put the target up and took a gamble I didn't make a big mistake with the purchase. So far, no regrets.

I ended up shooting about 50 rounds. I had one Fail to Load and one stove pipe on the last round, like I have seen on other similar style blowback pistols. The grip is comfortable, the weight is balanced and feels substantive. Weight is a subjective thing. It feels heavier than it is. It weighs right about even with the Seecamp and a fair bit less than the NAA Guardian 380. The fit feels tight and smooth. There are no burrs or rough edges. I am more pleased that I expected to be. Very solid feel, limited recoil, all metal, manages a four inch grouping in the center of a target at 7 yards ( can probably improve that with practice).

Price was less than $300 including shipping to my FFL. I am amazed this beautiful little .380 is so little known. Shoots well, fits in just about any pocket, great grip, smooth firm trigger. Nothing not to like. I will come back to give an update after about 500 rounds.

To cover the politics and religion of caliber, I am not recommending or suggesting what anyone else should or should not use. This is just my impression of my new gun.

See less See more
#4 ·
Congrats! I'll have one - one of these day. It's waiting in line on my mental list behind a couple of others.
If I can just somehow manage to stop buying BUSSE knives for a little while. :biggrin2:

#5 ·
I like the looks of it. Where did you buy it?

Also, lets see if we can get through the thread without someone coming here to tell us that the .380 is inadequate and that the OP needs a 9mm for a carry weapon. First person to do it is a doosh and we're all going to tell them that.

Nice gun.

#7 ·
CAS, do you have specific measurements on the pistol? Perhaps I've missed them, but the MPA website seems to be lacking any data on: OAL, height, width, weight without mag, weight of loaded mag.

Can you describe the basic field strip process? You indicate take-down of the slide's a bit of a pain.

#8 ·
I hadn't mentioned anything about take down. I find take down to be pretty straightforward. Pull back the slide, block the openeing to prevent it from closing, push a small retaining spring and slide up and forward. Less than a minute to do. Easy process to replace the slide.

As for size, I include a pic below from the chart on mouseguns.com :

Line

#10 ·
I enjoyed reading your review. For the last month or so I've been considering picking up a .380 or .32 for various reasons. I'm pretty much sold (as much as possible without actually shooting it) on this one by the end of your post. Some of the this.gs you mentioned really fit the bill for me far as my concerns.

Not a bad price either. I just might give this little guy a chance..

Sent from my palm device

#12 ·
A great pocket pistol I have the original model. It is actually a clone of the autauga .32 but not made in stainless. Fires everything I put in it. Pocketholsters.com has a convertible pocket holster for the back pocket or you can unscrew two brass screws and it becomes a front pocket holster. Their seecamp model fits pretty good.

#14 ·
Neat, I've never heard of this. I like that it's all metal but seems to have the same size and capacity as the other pocket pistol offerings (LCP, TCP, etc). I do wish it had real sights although on a pocket pistol for both practicality reasons (snagging) and reality (not all that accurate anyway) it's probably just as well that it doesn't. Can't beat the price either. Only thing I can immediately see that I don't like is the location of the magazine release. Seems awkward.

Does the slide lock back after the last round?

#16 ·
Neat, I've never heard of this. I like that it's all metal but seems to have the same size and capacity as the other pocket pistol offerings (LCP, TCP, etc). I do wish it had real sights although on a pocket pistol for both practicality reasons (snagging) and reality (not all that accurate anyway) it's probably just as well that it doesn't.
Four inch groups at 7 yards is pretty good. No matter how match grade a gun is, if you are shooting someone much beyond 7 yards you may be facing some tough scrutiny. I am very pleased with it.

#18 ·
Thank you for the review! I have been struggling with the Seecamp 32 vs the MPA 380. I am glad to hear you have the newer version and the recoil. The recoil being painful in some of the blow back 380's have me leaning towards a Kahr P380, but your review makes me reconsider the MPA 380 version II.

#19 ·
Thanks CAS for some FRESH information on the Second Version of this little pocket pistol. After nearly a dozen pocket pistols in .380 and 9mm I had pretty much dismissed them entirely from my dialogue, but this gun has me thinking again ... Hmmm. I've gotten to the point where I only want one handgun and I've got a Gen 4 Model 26 Glock for a primary CCW.

But, and a it's a BIG but, this gun could be comfortable in an ankle holster and be a viable option for pocket carry in a Remora holster. I could see leaving this in the car with a spare magazine for those quick trips that come up to the local strip mall, etc. And, at the $300 price point, I can take the extra $100 I would have invested in a Kahr CM9 and buy enough ammo to thoroughly test it for self defense. Very intriguing weapon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.