First CCW

This is a discussion on First CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to get a pistol for concealed carry. I don't have my CHL yet, but I will hopefully be taking the class by the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: First CCW

First CCW

I'm looking to get a pistol for concealed carry. I don't have my CHL yet, but I will hopefully be taking the class by the end of the month. My concern is this: for my job, I get in and out of a car all day, I am bending over to pick things up and reaching above my head, and I have to have my shirt tucked in. I am looking at getting a CZ-82, but I am concerned about the weight and thickness of the double stacked mag. Can y'all give me some suggestions? Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Do research here look at guns that first have the reputation as effective defensive calibers. Once you decide on the caliber then you can start the search for the gun for that caliber.

List what you require list the pluses and minuses based on first hand examination of the guns you are considering. And objective evaluation such as weight over all length width etc etc. Once you narrow it down shoot as many rounds as you can form the final candidates. The decision will be clear as mud then.
    KCsFinest likes this.

Thanks Ramjet. Will do.

VIP Member
    You can conceal any weapon if you're willing to do the things that need to be done. First, you have to dress around the gun. There's a good chance you'll need pants a size larger, and your shirt may have to get bigger as well. You will need a quality belt (I use Looper Leather or Wilderness Instructor belts) and a great holster. If you do that, you won't have problems. I conceal a Glock 23 with a tucked shirt regularly and have no problems simply because I ensure that the clothes and equipment are up to the task.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Good suggestions above except for caliber. All calibers are acceptable for self defense that are .380 or larger. I've talked to numerous ER physicians and even interviewed one on my podcast. They all tell me when someone comes in the ER with a gunshot wound they can't tell what caliber they were shot with until they actually recover the bullet. Ammo is so good, it's made the difference in calibers very insignificant.

Please shoot lots of guns before you buy one. I made the mistake of buying what people recommended and took their word for it. Find a range that rents guns, maybe 2 ranges. Make a list of guns you're interested in and as mentioned above, some criteria that fits your needs. Then rent and shoot no less than 5 pistols before making your buying decision.

I carry the largest capacity pistol that I can easily and comfortably carry given my situation and never worry about caliber. Today I worked all day seeing customers, dressed business casual, untucked short, with a Glock 26'on my hip.

But again, shoot lots of guns before you buy.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

VIP Member
    With a little work, the CZ82 will do the job for you. The fact it is a double stack shouldn't hinder your ability to conceal it. However if what you want is thinner and lighter, take a look at the Kahr CW9.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    You can conceal any weapon if you're willing to do the things that need to be done. First, you have to dress around the gun. There's a good chance you'll need pants a size larger, and your shirt may have to get bigger as well. You will need a quality belt (I use Looper Leather or Wilderness Instructor belts) and a great holster. If you do that, you won't have problems. I conceal a Glock 23 with a tucked shirt regularly and have no problems simply because I ensure that the clothes and equipment are up to the task.
    could'nt agree more,and a good gun belt is VERY important

Quote Originally Posted by Mamcleo View Post
    My concern is this: for my job, I get in and out of a car all day, I am bending over to pick things up and reaching above my head, and I have to have my shirt tucked in.
    Uncertain what flexibility you've got in clothing selection, for example if restricted by company-purchased shirt/pants.

Clothing, belt, holster choice is very important. Clothing is often the most overlooked element. It's important to have a great belt, yes. And it's important to have a holster that keeps the gun in the same spot, hopefully as comfortably as possible. Color/pattern blending matters, when concealing a bulging pistol. Much will depend on your body's shape at that point, but a lot can also depend on the shirt with respect to how it allows for that extra thing on your hip. All we can give are basic points to consider, but the actual proving of it will be DIY, to confirm which of your choices work well together.

For example: I've found that a particular color/pattern combination works best for hiding a given gun. Such as, a black/black pistol with a black holster and belt hides well with a darker, looser, patterned shirt. The patterns and looseness help break up the bulk, and the basically darker blends get tough for a casual glance to pick up. With my clothing choices, I have found that my pistols with a black body and silver slide can be more easily picked up visually than black/black. You'll need to try out some combinations. Better still, have someone you trust help you evaluate how obvious the combinations are.

OMO.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the all the great advice. I haven't totally committed to a caliber yet, but I don't think I want to go smaller than the 9x18 Makarov. I put about 50 rounds through a friend's CZ and I loved it. I am definitely going to keep looking. I have 3 pretty nice ranges close to me that I like to hit up.

My work clothes are company issue. Light blue button up shirt, navy blue pants with a black belt. The shirt was another concern of mine because of the light color, but I have a little while to prepare for that. I'm already sending in my uniforms to get them bigger.

I currently own a High Point C9. I have read that some people carry them and I have considered it myself. I love the feel of it, but when I carry around the house it is like carrying a brick. It could be lack of a good holster and the right clothing, but I am not sure.

... when I carry around the house it is like carrying a brick. It could be lack of a good holster and the right clothing, but I am not sure.
    A good, stiff, 1.5" wide (or even 1.75") belt, double-thickness quality bullhide or horsehide, possibly a stiffener between the layers (if desired even firmer), and a decent holster that spreads the carrying load across the belt and body. These things can be key to making the difference between a gun that feels like "a brick" and one that rides easily all day long. Position along the beltline can also affect things, some. (For example, at 5 o'clock it's rough for me, but 3:30 or 4 o'clock feels pretty good, with the same gun/holster combo.) Uncertain what you've been using so far, with it feeling so "brick-like."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    Please shoot lots of guns before you buy one. I made the mistake of buying what people recommended and took their word for it. Find a range that rents guns, maybe 2 ranges. Make a list of guns you're interested in and as mentioned above, some criteria that fits your needs. Then rent and shoot no less than 5 pistols before making your buying decision.
    I was lucky enough to take a pistol course where the instructor lent four or five of his guns. That was great because I didn't need to buy or rent those guns. (Rental guns tend not to be well-maintained.) I also got to learn on different guns, which is an even better test of the fit than going to the range and shooting them. Also, the gun you'll like most at the end may be the one that takes a little getting used to and even some instruction. For example, everyone told me to get a Glock. So I made sure to try a Glock and an XD at this class, but I ended up discovering I preferred a 1911, which no one told me about. So if you can take a course, explain your situation, most instructors are probably willing to let you try out their gun collection.

I'm looking to get a pistol for concealed carry. I don't have my CHL yet, but I will hopefully be taking the class by the end of the month. My concern is this: for my job, I get in and out of a car all day, I am bending over to pick things up and reaching above my head, and I have to have my shirt tucked in. I am looking at getting a CZ-82, but I am concerned about the weight and thickness of the double stacked mag. Can y'all give me some suggestions? Thanks!
    It's not rocket science, and you don't have to be a bean counter or adminstrator with it all. Handle your Dad's handguns. Handle your buddy's guns. Handle some in a gun shop. Revolvers and autos. Something will stike you right. You've got some loose ideas now, so just build on that. As for caliber, that takes care of itself, once you either preset it in your mind, or handle what feels better than the rest. You can get used to whatever it is, especially if it's your only handgun, rapidly.

All of this analitical thinking about guns and caliber, etc. that's all fine when you're getting yet another handgun and you are intending to get something which fills in better for something. You also know a lot more for yourself and all of that consideration is more focused. But to begin with you have to go with your gut and what instinctively, naturalisticly works best for you. Don't get too side-tracked on endless details or making it a term paper kind of thing.

Also, any handgun up to an ordinary service size is going to work for you for packing or just keeping around and shooting. If it feels good to you, then you use it and make it work. I've had 6" big N frame revolvers (25 years ago) as my main handguns (two out of three) and I made those work for a lot of things. It's just past a point it's going to be much harder to be discrete with.

Well that's what I have to say about it.

D.J.

If your not against revolvers take a serious look at Ruger LCR in .38 or .357. For me, revolvers carry and conceal MUCH better than semi autos.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The caliber suggestion was only to make sure that the choices were exactly as you suggested. Caliber does matter in that certain guns are more manageable with certain load levels or calibers.

The gun like all the great advise shoot as many as you can. Ask friends and fellow shooters. Most are more than willing to allow you to try a gun out. I under controlled circumstances have let my guns be shot on many many occasions. But it takes more than just a mag or two. It is always nice if you go shooting with friend to bring your own ammo though. Hehehe.

Good luck in your quest and learn all that you can.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    There are a lot of fine guns made and for just about every purpose, Whatever you decide to carry, enjoy your search in finding it.
    As for me i dont have a problem carrying a .380, I dont everyday, but it fits my purpose when I am on my bike or in dressed up and need a deeper concealment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links