Need some advice on a new carry gun.

This is a discussion on Need some advice on a new carry gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree, great low-recoil (and lightweight) 9mm guns like the various Glocks and Beretta Px4 are awesome guns to tote and shoot in the event ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on a new carry gun.

VIP Member
    I agree, great low-recoil (and lightweight) 9mm guns like the various Glocks and Beretta Px4 are awesome guns to tote and shoot in the event of debilitating physical condition.

But my high-recommended guns are the Steyr M9, S9 (both discontinued, but available periodically via Gunbroker, Auction Arms, Gunsamerica or other places on-line), and newer Steyr M9A1 (and soon to come S9A1) are outstanding. They are lightweight, reliable, accurate, and I think recoil a tad less than even the Glocks due to their even lower bore axis and grip angle.

Another outstanding "othopaedic gun" as Massad Ayoob likes to call them are the HK P7-series. The low-bore axis, gas operation, and the need to apply firm grip pressure to keep the cocking front strap deployed make for a super-light recoiling gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

2. Remove Ads

Mac, why don't you just go with the 642 and speed strip or loader. Now this is just my opinion. However, if you are able to purchase another weapon then do so, because that CZ compact does look sweet. Nevertheless, I love my snub and decided to let the 1911 rest as house gun a while ago. The snub is just so easy to carry and it allows me to go about my day sometimes forgetting its there. However, I do know that a gun on your side is not always meant to be comfortable. Good luck Mac.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I own and carry both the Glock 19 and 26. They are both great carry guns, and accuracy-wise they are great at combat distances. Hell, I've even shot a few IPSC matches with the 19. Anyway, they are both a pleasure to carry, and have VERY easily manageable recoil. Either of these would be a winner. I personally carry the 26 in the summer and the 19 in the coolde weeks here when I have on a light jacket. I've owned the Glock 23, but IMHO the recoil system on it sucks, and I find the recoil on he smaller glock 27 more manageable. But thats just me. Go for the 26 or the 19, you'll be happy with either.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

VIP Member
    Jack, sorry about the back problems. I did not want to jump in with the P239 commercial too early, but since it has been broached already I'll do it. The 9mm is as sweet as they come. My wife nor I notice any real difference between the recoil of the 9mm and the .357SIG. This is probably because of the additional weight of the slightly wider slide on the .357. We do however notice a difference in the impact of the round. There is a noticeable difference in the way a milk jug full of water reacts to the 9mm bullet from the 9mm pistol and the same projectile coming from the .357. The only difference we notice from the firing end is that the .357 has a very sharp crack when it fires.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411534288

I have been looking at the above gun for Leah, but since I got the SA 1911 I won't be getting it for her. The other difference between the 9mm and the .357 is capacity. The 9mm mag holds 8 rounds and the .357 holds 7. There is also a 10 round mag available for the 9mm.

That said, the one name I have not seen mentioned so far is Springfield. If I was looking at Glock I would have to look at the XD line from Springfield. For me there would be no choice. The grip angle on the Glock is awkward for me, but the XD feels much better. That is of course personal and you may have a different feel.

Take care of yourself and keep us informed.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

how about a colt 38 super jack? its a lightweight recoil is on par with most 9's which in a tupperware gun i feel is more than a 45 1911

Bud's got the right idea.

Also, if your wanting the lighter gun that PX4 was a sweet piece that a guy had in my combat pistol class. I would also recommend the G17C or G19C that are compensated and will have much less recoil. I became a Glock fan in that class when using a G17, I was surprised to say the least.

Check them out here. I know your seen them and or know about them but people forget there offered by Glock.

http://www.glock.com/compensator.htm

ETA - My instructor had a I think, G22C that had little to no "flash" that you commonly see with these gun's and what Glock show's on there page, I am not sure what the deal was but it was a sweet gun as well.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I thought about a .38 Super Commander but it's not just recoil I'm trying to lessen, I also need a lighter weight gun. The Mil-Spec's weight on my lower back is sometimes a problem when it's cold or wet out - I'm not looking forward to Fall and Winter.

George: It's interesting that you find the .357 Sig recoil roughly similar to 9mm, with a single stack mag and limited capacity the hotter round might be something to consider. I'll have to check all that out when I get to the range.

I do intend to carry my 642 for the immediate time following surgery. I won't be going out much so I'm comfortable with that. Once I recover enough to get out and about I want more than 5 rounds at the ready. I currently keep 2 speedstrips AND 2 Safariland speedloaders next to the .38 so when I grab for it I've got my choice of reloads for carry.

At the moment the front runners in consideration are the G19 and the Sig 239. With the G19 I can get the G26 later for a BUG with mag compatability. Finding a good deal on a used 239 in my area might be a bit tough but if I came across one I'd consider it. Cost is also a factor as the medical bills aren't going away anytime soon.
    Jack

Compare the G's

I find my G 19 / 9 mm very shootable, recoil is no big deal. Some folks don't care for the grip angle on the Glock, so I'd suggest you try BEFORE you buy. Some like the XD's grip angle better. I like BOTH, but went with the Glock. The smaller Glock's recoil feels about the same to me, but the grip is shorter, so that could effect how it fits your hand and how it feels to you. Rubber grip sleeve might help,or the finger extensions available for the magazine, if this becomes an issue. I have no expereince with the .45 Glocks.

The G19 is not what I'd call a small gun. How easy it will conceal will be determined by YOUR size, body shape and mode of dress. Holster choice plays a big part there too. Something that carries it high and tight will help to conceal it well.

i think the 38 super is 27 oz or so its a lightweight frame

i would look at the glock 36. if recoil is a problem then i would go with the glock 26. but/now you could take a look at the kel tec 380. it is a great every day carry gun.

*swirly hypnotic things*

Rotating barrel system. You should rent one if you can. :) Px4 that is.

Lead Moderator
    Personally, I have found the recoil reducing system in the HK USP series works well. If the P2000 series has the same , it might be another to consider.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well, I'd considered H&K but finances won't allow it. I'm already on a pension and the medical bills are about to get really serious.
    As far as Beretta: Back when the military adopted the M9, I bought a 92fs just to see what all the hubbub was about. This was "roughly" 10 years ago and that pistol cost me $750 + tax - for what I paid I expected better. Perhaps I got a lemon as that happens with all gun makers from time to time but it left a bad taste in my mouth and I've never felt the need to repeat that experience.
    Jack

Seems like a lot for a Beretta 92FS

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    As far as Beretta: Back when the military adopted the M9, I bought a 92fs just to see what all the hubbub was about. This was "roughly" 10 years ago and that pistol cost me $750 + tax - for what I paid I expected better.
    Wow! $750 ten years ago for a Beretta 92! Have those come down in price? Now they sell new for about $500. Here is a typical one on Gunbroker:

Beretta 92FS for $500 on Gunbroker

By the way, if you do have an interest in a H&K USP, you can generally find a good used one for about $600. They are rugged guns and hard to wear out, so used ones are fairly desireable. I bought a used one in the .40 compact version earlier this year for $625. It looked as good as new, and handles recoil well for a 24 ounce gun.
    H&K USP 40c bought used for $625

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Well, I'd considered H&K but finances won't allow it. I'm already on a pension and the medical bills are about to get really serious.
    As far as Beretta: Back when the military adopted the M9, I bought a 92fs just to see what all the hubbub was about. This was "roughly" 10 years ago and that pistol cost me $750 + tax - for what I paid I expected better. Perhaps I got a lemon as that happens with all gun makers from time to time but it left a bad taste in my mouth and I've never felt the need to repeat that experience.
    Jack
    You must have gotten a lemon. Every Beretta I've ever own or shot has always fed/shot well. The Px4 doesn't feel like the M9 to me either. Might as well rent it if you get the chance, it really does recoil very light comparably.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links