Need some advice on a new carry gun.

This is a discussion on Need some advice on a new carry gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I admit to a preferance for Glock pistols for concealed carry. I have owned a G26 and I was issued a G19 for awhile. If ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need some advice on a new carry gun.

I admit to a preferance for Glock pistols for concealed carry. I have owned a G26 and I was issued a G19 for awhile. If I were in your situation I would opt for the G19 for the following reasons:

a) 9mm when loaded properly is a good combat round.
    b) G19 hold 15 rounds & will accept 17rd. G17 mags (hi cap good)
    c) physical size is small enought to conceal IWB but not too small to be combat effective in any handgun self defense situation against a human or dog size advisary.
    d)weight is light for the package of concealed power you will have.
    e) polymer and tenifer finish stand up well to humidity.
    f) PLENTY of after market support. Especially holsters
    g) last but not least - reliability.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck with your decision.

2. Remove Ads

I hopped over to GT last night and did some reading ... until 2:30 this morning! Came across that guy's torture test on his G17, it was absolutely incredible to say the very least.

Looks like a range trip with a day of rentals in is my immediate future ... come on payday!!!!
    Jack

Sorry to hear about your back, and I wish you the best!

I've been looking at those pistols, among others. Like some others recommended, I'd go with the G19 if it's not too big to conceal (and it should be okay with the right clothing and holster). Otherwise, the G26 would be great too. The G30 feels great in the hand and as far as .45s go it's very manageable. But, the G30 is getting kind of wide for carry.

Another thing to consider is the barrel lengths for the needed velocity for self defense. the g26 has a 3.46" barrel, g30 has a 3.78" barrel, while the g19 has a 4.02" barrel. some might feel that anything under 4" is inadequate and wouldn't give the JHP bullets enough velocity to expand either.

this is a nice site to compare glocks:
    http://www.glock.gr/__english/__models.htm

it gives muzzle velocities too. you can see that there's only about 35 fps difference between the g26 and g19 (~1115 fps and ~1150 fps, respectively). the g30 was rated at ~790 fps. do you want more momentum or bigger bullet diameter?

btw, sounds like the new 9mm +P loads should be a lot more effective than the older ammo used in the 80's and 90's from what i've been reading on the forums.

I did check out the G30 during my last range trip - didn't get to fire it but held a NIB one. It felt a bit blocky in my grip but I need to re-evaluate that considering my current situation. CCI/Speer has developed their new short barrel .45 load using a 230gr. Gold Dot. Considering the popularity of their short barrel .38spl. load, I tend to think their new .45 round would be just as effectively Engineered. The G30's 3.78" barrel is still longer than the ultra compacts or the old Colt OACP 1911s with a wider grip to disperse felt recoil so it's something I'm considering (I love the .45acp). Also, the G30 seems like it'd be fairly easy to conceal in a good OWB holster (Brommeland's Def Con).

The G19 has a higher capacity and the 17 and 30-ish round magazines available should I decide to go beserk on silhouette targets at the range. Also, it should offer a wee bit less recoil than .45acp so that's points in it's favor.

Then there's the Sig P239. A fine weapon in it's own right, small enough to be concealable in an OWB, and 9mm or .357Sig. Tough choices any way I go.
    Jack

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links