Makarov Model M - Page 2

Makarov Model M

This is a discussion on Makarov Model M within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 Russian ones have adjustable sights and are smooth, including the trigger. The German is probably the next best with Hungarian models ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Makarov Model M

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Russian ones have adjustable sights and are smooth, including the trigger. The German is probably the next best with Hungarian models having the rough, gritty trigger pull. They are excellent point-shoot weapons- don't bother with the sights, just aim like pointing your finger and skip cans all day long. Good guns for the money. If you get the 9x18 version, places like Brownells and such sell the .380 conversion barrel, just change it, pretty much all needed. PS, if you take it apart in the field, watch for the firing pin jumping out, it's removed by rotating the safety around while slide fully racked.
    9mm Makarov is generally superior to the .380 performance wise, and 9x18 at least the FMJ plinking ammo and steel cased JHP is also a bit cheaper and is readily available online or at most LGS. With so many Maks, CZ82's and P64's now all imported getting 9mm Makarov ammo is easy and there is a wide range of options available. No need to change barrels. The EG Mak would lose all its collectable value if you alter it. Also Hungary did not make Makarov pistols, Gunsmoke16 likely meant Bulgarian. The surplus Russian military Makarovs (which are fairly rare in the USA) have fixed sights, only the commercial new production Russian Maks (produced by Baikal and Izhmech) have adjustable sights.

Nations that produced Makarov pistols

Russia - Military and Commercial
    East Germany - The Ernst Thaelman Factory
    China
    Bulgaria - The Arsenal Factory and Miltex
    Germany (post-unification) - The Simson Suhl

9mm Makarov performance vs .380 with defensive loads

9x18 Corbon 95-gr. JHP +P 1121 fps
    .380 Corbon 90-gr. JHP +P 1083 fps

9x18 Hornady 95-gr. XTP 979 fps
    .380 Hornady 90-gr. XTP 933 fps

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

FDE
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post

What is the pistol on the far right? Inquiring minds want to know!

Quote Originally Posted by FDE View Post
    What is the pistol on the far right? Inquiring minds want to know!
    That's the mighty P64 Radom from Poland. It shoots 9x18 Makarov.

Congratulations on your purchase. In my opinion, you indeed made a wise choice. I hope the Makarov brings you many years of reliable service and enjoyable shooting experiences.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    There are always certain firearms that I am on the lookout for and will buy if I see a good example for sale at a good price, and an EG Makarov is one of them, Resale/collector value will keep going up on these.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Have Russian Biakal. Can consitently pop balloons @ 100 ft. Have shot rabbits @ 200 ft. Hard to find extra magazines, ordered some generics, but these mags were for .380, so out of curiosity fired a few hundred .380 through it too. Stay with 9x18 as is far superior. Ordered three mags made for E. German Mak. Hope they fit my Russian. Heavy little pistol for its size. I favor Bear and Silver Bear 9x18. This is a military service auto and was made to fire ball, so that's what I primarly fire. Over penetration with FMJ is a reality. This is a good pistol, and should not be denigrated because it does not have a high capacity magazine. Is a direct copy of Walther PPK, but with more powerfull 9mm caliber. 9x18 Russian surplus ammo is inexpensive and readily avail. from Sportsmans Guide, Cheaper than Dirt etc. Only pistol I shoot really well. Because grip fits my hand so well. Balance superb. Recoil is sharp. Wear glove if going to shoot several hundred rounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links