Best striker-fired trigger and reset for a CCW?

This is a discussion on Best striker-fired trigger and reset for a CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've fired many semi-auto handguns, and I think there is a lot to be said for striker-fired pistols. I'm especially attracted to the lack of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best striker-fired trigger and reset for a CCW?

I've fired many semi-auto handguns, and I think there is a lot to be said for striker-fired pistols. I'm especially attracted to the lack of a manual safety (lowers the number of operator errors in a SD situation), and consistency of trigger pull (no transition from DA to SA).

IMO, the Walther PPQ is at the top of the list. It has a very crisp trigger pull, and an easily felt reset. It allows for very quick double taps and bursts of rapid fire.

Currently, I carry a PPQ 9mm, but it is bulky. I'm interested in what DC readers believe to be in the same category in a more concealable pistol. Specifically, I'm interested in learning how other more concealable pistols compare when it comes to trigger characteristics.

Thanks.

DA
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

I like a confident reset, even if the stock pull and its characteristics leave something to be desired. For me, it's Glock.

Interesting note is that my G17 has a different feeling pull than my G29. The round count through the 17 is considerably higher, so that's probably why.

Edit: I didn't really answer your question. I'd go G26 if you're sticking with nine millies. I've had M&Ps as well. The triggers felt good, but the reset was softer.

I don't have any other sub compact trigger experience outside of the aforementioned, with the exception of owning a P250 for several weeks before selling it, and renting a PM9 twice. IMHO those triggers blew. My P3AT doesn't count since we're talking nine.

It's personal preference really. Go to a gun show and trigger pull and reset the models you're interested in.
    Last edited by ROFL SQUAD; August 5th, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

VIP Member
    Take a look at the Kahr. Only models I have dealt with are the CW models, but the trigger on them is smooth and crisp. My wife has the CW9 and I carry a CW45.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

CJM
    Hands down winner is the Walther PPQ. I would just stick to what you already are carrying.

Steyr MA1 Myself I carry the MA1 40S&W.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Hk P7. Smoothest trigger pull this side of a tuned 1911, ultra-reliable, accurate, flat and compact.
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

I've only dry fired the PPQ and loved the feel of the trigger. I don't know how the PPS trigger feels, but it is a real slim gun. My Glock 26 conceals just fine and has a sweet stock trigger. All Glocks have a very positive reset with the stock trigger.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

The PPS doesn't compare to the PPQ trigger. IMO, the PPQ is king of the stock striker triggers!

Quote Originally Posted by BattleBornNV View Post
    The PPS doesn't compare to the PPQ trigger. IMO, the PPQ is king of the stock striker triggers!
    The PPS is definitely a different trigger feel.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

In the small single stacked the real sleeper, and a little hard to get is the Bersa BP9CC. These are said to be the best trigger in this class of guns, and after a little super cleaning and quality lubrication on mine it's almost like pulling the trigger on a single action after the DA only slack is taken up, and resets are very short and crisp. Comes stock with a polyganol barrel, and is the most accurate small gun I have ever shot. Under 1" thick, and is 8 plus 1 in capacity. I love this gun, and it sounds like what you are looking for.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by garwha View Post
    In the small single stacked the real sleeper, and a little hard to get is the Bersa BP9CC. These are said to be the best trigger in this class of guns, and after a little super cleaning and quality lubrication on mine it's almost like pulling the trigger on a single action after the DA only slack is taken up, and resets are very short and crisp. Comes stock with a polyganol barrel, and is the most accurate small gun I have ever shot. Under 1" thick, and is 8 plus 1 in capacity. I love this gun, and it sounds like what you are looking for.
    very comfortable shooter. great trigger. great sights. great price. it does have an integral safety though for those that avoid that feature.

m&p shield has a great trigger!

the p99 as has a great trigger when in sa. very light, minimal distance to reset, shorter than the ppq from what I remember, the compact version is one of the lightest 9's on the market, making it a great ccw choice. I would carry it over the ppq because it fits my needs better. too bad they don't stick the ppq trigger in the p99c's, though in the heat of battle you can probably barely tell the difference between the two

If you can try to find someone with an m&p + apex tactical reset assist mechanism (RAM). Makes the reset (which I find somewhat muddy on the stock trigger) very nice and crisply felt.

-424D57

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Of the striker fired pistols I've shot, Glocks and the M&P Shield are the best for me, in that order.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links