Pocket 9's

This is a discussion on Pocket 9's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; LC9 works good. I love the little sigs but hard to argue the low cost of the Ruger...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Pocket 9's

VIP Member
    LC9 works good.

I love the little sigs but hard to argue the low cost of the Ruger

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Bought a 9mm Shield. Sold my 2.5 year old Kahr PM9 the same week... Spent 2.5 months more looking for Shield #2 :)
    Shipwreck, what do you prefer about the Shield over the Kahr?

Quote Originally Posted by airsix View Post
    Shipwreck, what do you prefer about the Shield over the Kahr?
    Much better trigger allows doubletaps to go easier (easier to put the 2nd round where you want). Also, noticeably less recoil than the Kahr PM9. I've even put 450 rounds thru 1 of my Shields in a day. Not gonna do that with a Pm9.

I can shoot the Shield very well out to 15 yards (max distance at indoor range). I could not do that with the PM9
    accessbob likes this.

9MM do not fit in my pocket. None I have ever come across

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    You need a bigger pair of pants! My LC9 fits in a leather holster in my back pocket and looks like a wallet. Not my favorite way to carry but does work.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    You need a bigger pair of pants! My LC9 fits in a leather holster in my back pocket and looks like a wallet. Not my favorite way to carry but does work.
    Back pocket? Must feel like you're sitting on a brick. Sounds like a good way to give yourself back pain issues in the future.

My LCPs will fit in any front pockets I have. My PM9, LCR, and G26 usually require some tailoring (deepening) of the pocket to fit without the grip peeking out at the top of the pocket opening (I wear my shirts tucked in).
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Much better trigger allows doubletaps to go easier (easier to put the 2nd round where you want). Also, noticeably less recoil than the Kahr PM9. I've even put 450 rounds thru 1 of my Shields in a day. Not gonna do that with a Pm9.

I can shoot the Shield very well out to 15 yards (max distance at indoor range). I could not do that with the PM9
    I've shot both. I beg to differ. I've shot 8 inch steel plates at 50 yards with my PM9 the 2nd day of a training class. The Shield is a nice gun and I may get one but it's not a good pocket gun IMO. The OP is asking about pocket 9's. I think the Shield is too big for regular pocket carry. A PM9 or CM9 is more conducive for that role. With practice it's easy to shoot the PM9. And by the way, I don't represent Kahr in any way, I've owned Kahr pistols since 2006 and really like them.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    I've shot both. I beg to differ. I've shot 8 inch steel plates at 50 yards with my PM9 the 2nd day of a training class. The Shield is a nice gun and I may get one but it's not a good pocket gun IMO. The OP is asking about pocket 9's. I think the Shield is too big for regular pocket carry. A PM9 or CM9 is more conducive for that role. With practice it's easy to shoot the PM9. And by the way, I don't represent Kahr in any way, I've owned Kahr pistols since 2006 and really like them.

Well, its all opinion. For me, the Shield is much better. And, everyone I know who has shot both guns at least admits that the Shield has less recoil.

As for pocket carry - I posted a pic of the gun in a pocket holster 1 page back. If its not a pocket gun, how I have been pocket carrying it for 3 months now?

I will admit that the PM9 is a little smaller, but not by much. In a regular paid of jeans, even the PM9 would be hard to quickly get out of a font jean pocket (unless you wear the super baggy kind). At that point, you probably need a 380.

But in dress pants or cargo pants, I have no issues with the Shield. In a pocket, the tiny size different makes no realistic difference to me.

I can shoot the Shield MUCH better than I can the PM9. And, I AM carrying it in my pocket :) - In fact, that's the only way I've carried it so far...

Quote Originally Posted by airsix View Post
    The things that matter are identical. The biggest difference is the price. CM has a button-rifled barrel, a mim cast slide stop, and markings are stamped rather than rolled. And it only comes with one mag. Functionally they are identical. Having inspected and fired both it was easy for me to buy the CM.

Here is a video Kahr CM9 9mm Pocket Pistol Review - YouTube that may help
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I carry a Taurus PT709 - it is ok (but not the best) for pocket carry in cargo shorts/pants. Anything else and I carry IWB. It is hardly noticeable IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    My youngest son gave me a Diamondback 9 (DB9). I realize it gets mixed reviews but between the two of us we've shot almost 500 rounds with no issues. The DB9 is very light and does fit in my cargo shorts pocket very easily.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've got 2 pocket 9's. Kel-Tec PF-9 and Baretta Nano. However,I still keep coming back to my S&W 342, Titanium .38+P, it's lighter and smaller(thinner). I've carried a P3AT for years in my rotation with my Smith.

Distinguished Member
    Make sure that whatever you get, you practice, practice, practice with it. If you can't get yourself to practice with it because it is painful to shoot, then don't go down that path no matter how small it may be.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by lokin4deer View Post
    OK another question....the kahrs seem to be well liked what is the difference between the PM9 and the CM9??
    I love when the OP asks a question, and it goes ignored, and ppl just keep posting what they carry lol...

the diff is that the PM9 has better engraving, the front site is adjustable, 3 dot sights I think, and polygonal barrel. you pay like 200 more bucks just for those features.

CM9 has heinie style sights, pinned front sight, the engraving laser etched, and traditional rifling in the barrel.

people who own a PM9 prefer it (because I think they paid the extra, so they need to justify it lol) and people that have the CM9 love theirs.

I had a kahr ones and had many problems with it. if you see I have posts about it. I just couldn't bring myself to it again. it's not like I can go return it if it doesn't work.

The pm 9 has a match grade barrel and the slide catch is milled from steel not molded the engraving is also better but both guns are the eaxct same size

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links