Range report PPK made by Smith and Wesson

This is a discussion on Range report PPK made by Smith and Wesson within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up my new ppk last week. Id heard many horror stories about these guns. I saw one at local shop week before last ...

Thread: Range report PPK made by Smith and Wesson

Range report PPK made by Smith and Wesson

I picked up my new ppk last week. Id heard many horror stories about these guns. I saw one at local shop week before last and fell in love. Good friend of mine wanted to buy my detective special and couldn't turn him down as I knew it was going to a good home and that he gave the condition that id get it back if he sold it.
    So, I had the money in order when I went back in the next day it was gone.
    This was OK though because I wanted a stainless model while going down the list of available ppks's I spotted a standard ppk I was shocked I had always assumed they couldn't be had due to import regs.
    Upon further research found they were now made on this side of the big pond so I ordered one in stainless.
    Before its arrival I read many horror stories about jamming poor trigger-pull ftf all the problems you don't want in a carry piece.
    Upon testing today with wwb 95 gr flat point ammo it functioned flawlessly.
    No issues at all through 200rds. It displayed phenomenal accuracy including 3in groups at 25yds sa of course.
    On initial inspection of un-boxing before leaving shop I might add the fit and finish was extravagant not a single tooling mark.
    The reason behind this long winded review was to lay to rest the terrible reviews this excellent arm receives.
    At one point during test I held my fingers loose and my wrist limp to prove or disprove the limp wrist problems so often associated with this gun. Caliber 380 standard stainless finish factory finger rest mags three of which were used during testing functioned perfect

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    They are sometimes finicky about what brands of ammo they like to digest. Also don't even bother with aftermarket or cheapo magazines.
    Stick with MecGar or Factory/Walther.

Yes, they are very accurate firearms. I still have an Interarms and it functioned just fine. The only real problem with it was that the slide was machined so crisp that it would slice my fingertips when I racked the slide. It was no problem to fix that without refinishing due to it being Stainless rather than Blue.

The factory recoil spring is a tad bit heavier than it needs to be for most .380 offerings. Many owners opt for a slightly lighter weight Wolff recoil spring.

Glad that it's functioning great for you. That always is a pleasant surprise these days.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have always liked the PPK or PPK/S.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Mine was ok but had to watch what ammo I used and had a issue with the recoil spring when time to clean. As much as I liked it ended selling it and getting the Kahr PM9, which is one of my favorites

Nice little gun

I've had an Interarms PPK .380 for about 12 years in blue finish, buying it in used condition. I have put maybe 500 rounds through the gun and it has always worked perfectly, showing excellent accuracy for a small gun. It is quite slim with a short grip and 6+1 capacity. It conceals very well and I have sometimes carried it as a primary when I wanted good concealment and wasn't too concerned about caliber or capacity. It is a well made little gun in a classic design.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Congratulations on the new PPK. I think you will like it a lot. It has a number of nice features including that it can be loaded, unloaded, and cleared with the decocker in the 'safe' position. I like that a lot when I was new to packing.

I have West German PPK/S that I no longer carry. It was my first carry gun. Present from my wife. It is scary accurate, fun to shoot, relatively easy to conceal, and worked well with my handloaded practice ammo and Hornady Critical Defense. It isn't going anyplace.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    I picked up my new ppk last week. Id heard many horror stories about these guns.
    S&W made a few changes when they started making these over here. Externally, there's a beavertail of sorts so the "Walther railroad tracks" on the web of the hand is a think of the past, and there were some internal tweaks (feed ramp angle?) to ensure more positive feeding of hollowpoints. They took a classic design and improved it!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the review!

I have to admit that I've been eyeballing those stainless models for summer carry here in Texas. It's pretty hard not to sweat through your gun leather if you spend much time outside (~106F today).

I do love my W. German PPK/S, it's easy to enjoy the revolutionary design, beautiful lines, and superb craftsmanship in all PP series pistols.

DSCF0153s.jpg

Administrator
    It's just one of those great timeless handguns to have around. Mine is a keeper. Fixed barrel so it's extremely accurate.
    You can really appreciate the inherent accuracy if you "rest" it and thumb cock the hammer...take your time and really shoot it for accuracy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I liked the feel of the ppks but decided incase I wanted to pocket carry as its been west texas weather here lately I liked the smaller grip of the ppk. With the finger extension mag it fit the hand quite well id highly recommend in hot humid weather its a great ccw weapon and gets good looks after you out shoot the smaller kahrs and the like. Fired XDs next to the ppk ill take accuracy over power any day and even the owner of xds quite agood shot I might add was all over the map the small full power pocket rockets have to much recoil. A hit with 380 or 32 is better then miss with 45.

VIP Member
    Mine has always functioned well, I just don't CC it anymore. There are so many other great CCW out there now. Concealed Carry permits have really opened up a market niche.

I do think the PPK will always sort of remain as one of the classics.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    S&W made a few changes when they started making these over here. Externally, there's a beavertail of sorts so the "Walther railroad tracks" on the web of the hand is a think of the past, and there were some internal tweaks (feed ramp angle?) to ensure more positive feeding of hollowpoints. They took a classic design and improved it!
    I agree. I owned one of the stainless S&W Walthers. It is a better gun, no doubt. As you can see, I changed it to have Novak sights added to it which made it even better. I sold it when I got the P238.

It's the only gun I've sold that I miss.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Links